Progressive press?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Taken literally, no one wants to just "save money". They want to shoot more with better ammo for what they are spending, or would spend, on factory ammo..

Yes! I don't have a bottomless budget for shooting, so I need to make my money go as far as possible. A progressive might take several years to pay for itself, however, it will do just that eventually.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Kevin, I am sort of a reloading guru in my area and I have helped several folks get started and set up their equipment, just like one of my sixth grade friend's dad helped me get started back in the mid sixties. I have a standing offer that I will come to your abode and assist you set up your equipment and turn out some ammo before we are done. All I ask for is a sit down dinner. I have started a few high volume handgun shooters this way. When asked about a set up, I usually recommend a Dillon 550 over a single stage or turret press. The 550 is not cheap, but like I tell them, you're going to end up there eventually, so why spend your money on the other equipment. No one has ever regretted getting the 550. I have dies to load nearly 100 different calibers and use the 550 on all of them in some fashion or another. I have 1 toolhead that I use to do nothing but resize 357 Sig brass using 4 different dies simply because it works better that way. It's like needing a 4wd pickup, but settling for a 2wd with limited slip. And no I don't work for Dillion! And yes there is green and red equipment on my bench as well and most of my tool heads have Lee dies and powder measures on them as well. I hope this is helpful information for you! Bob!! 8)

Kenny B.

Bearcat
I know this is way late in adding to the discussion, but here are my thoughts, if not already touched on. For those living here in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Khalifornia, mail order sales of ammunition was banned at the beginning of this year. I shoot a fair amount of a variety of handguns. So, for me, reloading makes sense. I've owned an original version Square Deal press since 1988, and it serves me well. And, yes I became a "reloading junkie." Five conversion kits, many coffee cans full o' brass and boxes o' projectiles. And for an older gent like me, reloading offers a relaxing garage hobby. :D

USAFA71

Bearcat
I agree with Snake45! I have been reloading since the early 1970's, and I have not saved a penny- but I have shot a whole lot more than I would have if I had been buying factory! I can also load what I want, in caliber and in performance. During the ammo shortage a few years ago, I never slowed down in my shooting, since bullets, powder, and primers were always available. When you buy a few items each payday, it doesn't take long to stock up on components.

I live in a rural area. The good gun shops are 45-90 minutes away, and tend to be expensive. Then you have to peruse the aisles for the caliber, then bullet weight, and price you want to pay. By reloading, I save time, gas, money, wear and tear on the car and my sanity! I started with a Lee whack a mole kit and quickly, got a " hand press"- yeah right, a two hand press. Since I was travel nursing, I was living in hotels/motels or rental houses. When I came back to my farm(trailer), I bought a Lee Classic press from the local pawn shop($30), and ordered a Black and Decker collapsible bench from Amazon ($50)to put the press on. I am able to turn out the amounts of ammo I want/need in the calibers, and bullets I desire. If I was younger, I might entertain the idea of a progressive, but not now. I have enjoyed the discussion, and it has been helpful in reaffirming why I reload.
gramps

wwb

Hunter
gramps said:
........ I started with a Lee whack a mole kit and quickly, got a " hand press"- yeah right, a two hand press. .........

Okay, that's the funniest thing I've heard yet today.

RandyP

Bearcat
Like many things, speed = $$. For MY realistic meager ammo needs, I find the Lee Classic Turret to be a perfect match. 150-175 rounds per hour at a relaxed pace, low initial cost, super low caliber change cost, and the durn thing simply works with little fidgeting. I have added the great Inline Fabrication case kicker system to simplify and speed up production.

Were I a competition shooter/high volume constant shooter? I'd have and frankly need a progressive press and seriously consider the Cadillac quality and price Dillon. But I'm not, so I don't and spend the $$ difference on components and groceries.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
I have been reloading ammunition for nearly 40 years and can only echo what others have said.
You will not save any money reloading...in fact, it is entirely possible that you will spend a lot more money. Reloading is addictive in the extreme. You will find with some experience and knowledge that you want to upgrade your equipment if you start with a single stage press.
If you think you will only load for one caliber, you will soon find reasons to load for other calibers...you will find yourself buying new guns in different calibers just so you can reload for them.

By example...I have after many years finally gotten my son to start reloading. I completely stripped down one of my two Hornady LNL progressives and cleaned and reassembled it, then he under my supervision set it up to reload .45ACP. After some minor frustration and aggravation and a few hours time, he was churning out excellent quality reloads. He reloaded 250 rounds in a couple of hours.
The next day he decided to reload some more and in a little less than half an hour he was able to reload another nearly 200 rounds. He only stopped because I ran out of bullets in .45 caliber.
After Christmas, we will do the same thing with my other Hornady LNL in .357Magnum. He wants to keep the first press set up in .45ACP with the large primer feed and the second in.357Mag with the small primer feed.
He is thoroughly hooked.
He texted me after work today and said that he thinks we should definitely get a Dillon 650 to reload the other high volume handgun calibers we shoot. He wants to start with 10mm and when he is comfortable with the Dillon he wants to start getting additional toolheads starting with 9mm.
He also mentioned he thought reloading was at least as enjoyable a hobby as shooting.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Hey Kevin,

Interesting thread.
Partner, I know from you sending me some of your 327 brass and 100gr pills to get me started that you know reloading. You must have lots of dies for your turret press.

If you got a 550, I don't think it would be long before you started using it for the other calibers besides 9mm. I have one and it is a seriously sweet machine. You have dies for the 550, not the SDB.

I would suggest you start calculating what it will cost to get new dies for the SDB and/or conversion kits for the 550.

Unfortunately, I must agree with the comments here about money. 9mm is the lowest return on investment in handloading. I think I personally would find a fast progressive machine once a year and do a mass loading of 9mm.

and thanks again for helping me get started in those lovely .32 calibers. I needed the encouragement.
I now handload for T/C 30-20, 32 H&R mag, 32-20, and the 327 fed mag. See what I mean about expansion into other calibers.

Prescut