Barnes ammo in .300BLK

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hvacmedic

Single-Sixer
Anyone else had any issues with failure to fire in the American Ranch .300 Blackout using Barnes factory loads? I had one round today that wouldn't fire with several tries. Good indentation on primer, just no bang. Other rounds in box were fine, no issues with Remington ammo I tried today as well.

I'll toss out my 2 cents.
If the base to shoulder length of the brass is a bit short, the firing pin may be simply pushing the entire case forward rather than igniting the primer. The primer indention may look good but it's made in a slower, pushing impact vs a sharp punching impact.

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
I'll toss out my 2 cents.
If the base to shoulder length of the brass is a bit short, the firing pin may be simply pushing the entire case forward rather than igniting the primer. The primer indention may look good but it's made in a slower, pushing impact vs a sharp punching impact.
My 7mm Rem Mag drove me crazy for the most part of 2 years due to that very thing!
Convinced there was something wrong with the gun, I bought another new one and it also did it.

Oh, Barnes, Remington. Go to either of their sites and see who makes who.

blammer

Single-Sixer
Like Mobuck says, cartridge lengths/headspace may be at play here. Don't know how old this is (may have just missed seeing a date) but this guy, Revolverguy, ( http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=5992 ) did some interesting experiments and describes his fix. He says he got email from Ruger which he quotes. Sounds like it might explain your problem. Plus you can always talk to Ruger and see if the bolt fix Revolverguy describes might help.