Plated or coated???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NikA

Buckeye
Coated in the revolver cartridges, plated in 9mm is what I currently use. Apparently 9mm barrels have a range of bore sizes, so commercial cast and coated may or may not work with your setup. Haven't got around to casting for 9mm yet or it'd probably be coated for all three.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Coated ! Try Missouri Bullets, excellent quality and good selection on different calibers. I bought Berry's plated .45 bullets for my 1911. Poor quality and difficult to load for me. Plating comes off.

mikld

Blackhawk
I have used both; PCed and HiTek in my revolvers, semi-autos and a couple rifles. Plated in my semi-autos (just 1,000 or so), and plain cast lead in all my pistols, revolvers, semi-auto rifles and bolt rifles.There is a leaning curve for plain lead to get clean shooting, lead free bullets,but that's no big deal. PCing your own can be an involved process, but PCed bullets do everything they are supposed to do; clean handling, clean shooting, and just as accurate as lead. I don't really care for plated bullets as they are sorta in between and do nothing that cast or jacketed can't do better, and with less confusion for a new reloader. My cast bullets are clean shooting, easy to make and if I want higher velocity, I'll go with a jacketed bullet.

If I was going to buy bullets, or recommend store bought bullets to a new reloader, I'd recommend jacketed first, PCed/Hi-tek next, and plated last (or not at all).