7x57 Mauser Fire Formed Into 6mm Remington?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pohorelsky

Blackhawk
Have you ever done this or know someone that has? My reason for asking is, I want to use Lapua brass & they don't make 6mm Remington, but they do make 7x57 Mauser. I checked my Sierra reloading manual & the two rounds are so close I believe it will work. I did it when I couldn't get 6mm Remington brass from Winchester. I bought 100 rounds of Winchester 257 Roberts brass, ran it thru my 6mm Remington full length sizing die, fire formed the cases & bin go, I've been using it for 45 years.
PLEASE reply DIRECTLY to: [email protected], thanks.

NRA Patriot Life Member
SASS Life Member #6683

Chief 101

Hunter
I have done the exact same transformation from 257R to 6mm R. Here is how I do the neckdown using a standard RCBS type full length sizing die...we know the 257 brass will not fit the 6mm so I take the rifle and empty 257 brass and size the brass down with 6mm die until it fits the chamber with a slight push on the handle, then I can fire form the brass and then use neck die (if desired). You can leave your full length die at this setting(this is what I do and did) or if you like you can reset the FL die ever so slightly down to set back the shoulder for easy chambering. If you only want to use a neck sizer, try it and see if it works, but for the first sizing I would expect the FL sizer to be a better choice. I am assuming this is a bolt gun with some cam action.. good luck