cast zinc bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I am looking for some cast bullets in .41mag that are lighter than 215 gr. I ran across some "solid zinc" bullets at Mid South. No reloading data. Has anybody shot zinc bullets and how do they work.

Or does anybody have a source for bullets in the 170 to 180 gr range? Preferably coated.

contender

Ruger Guru
I know zinc can wreak havoc in casting lead bullets. But I've not tried any zinc bullets. I have heard of some folks using solid zinc for other projectiles,, (cannons,) but not handguns.

I wonder something. Going lighter like that,,, what are your accuracy concerns? The twist rate in many guns can be sensitive enough that accuracy may suffer when you vary too far from the "standard" weights. Usually,, the heavier weights are more forgiving,, than going lighter.

I'd think getting the zinc to conform in the forcing cone/rifling would be questionable. Those bullets would be longer for weight than lead/lead alloy but I have no idea how much longer.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
my reason for wanting lighter bullets is to make a weak practice load that might more nearly match the point of impact of my heavier loads. Now I shoot 210 jacketed bullets at 1300 to 1500 fps and 215 PC bullets at about 900. The slower ones have a much higher POI. Thought maybe if I could drop the bullet weight and increase the velocity I could get them closer together. I found the zinc bullets on line for a very low price. I did not know they made zinc bullets. Apparently you can buy loaded ammo with zinc and these are supposed to be from a ammo manfacturer. I guess since I have no loading data and no reliable source of supply I am going to skip buying a bunch of these. I do not like the idea of maybe sticking one in the bore with light loads. I tried drilling the 215gr on a lathe down with a brad point bit to 185 or so for a test but it is a lot of trouble and not much gain in lowering the POI with the load I tried. They did not tumble or anything but I do not know how accurate they are that way either. I see bullet molds for sale in that weight but no body selling the bullets. I guess for a marginally poplar caliber like the .41 mag we are lucky just to get good 215 gr from a number of places.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Barnes makes an all copper 180gr bullet and ammo. Definitely not cheap.
Have you tried shooting at a greater distance where they both might cross?
I'm curious, loading zinc bullets, why not? :D
http://www.bullets-brass.com/proddetail.asp?prod=45984

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Oh there were zinc bullets and molds for them at one time. I never tried them but I'm trying to remember the name?

Ok I found articles referring to Zamak bullets (zinc alloy). On Paco Kelly's site and Cast Boolits forum. The old NRA cast bullet manual also is supposed to have a couple articles in it. Good luck on the research.

grobin

Blackhawk
There are a number of bullets in the range. Serra has a jacketed hollow point and there are the Lehigh Defense 150 gr solid copper. I DON'T KNOW OF ANY CAST THOUGH.

Twist rate and bullet length are often correlated. I never saw nor heard of a correlation between twist and weight, except as heavier usually means longer.

A couple of anecdotes:

I had a 1954 Sako in .222 Rem that was a tackdriver with the old Nosler 50 grain "solid base" (exposed lead tip) bullet. When Nosler came out with the new "ballistic tip" the 50 grain sprayed all over....the bullet was a few thou too long for my slow twist. The 45gr ballistic tip shot much, much better, but still no match for the original 50gr SB. I ended up switching to the Sierra 50gr with the conventional lead tip. A very dramatic effect on accuracy from just 10-20 thou difference in bullet length.

I shot an 8" Python when I started big bore IHMSA in 1982. The rams would occasionally wobble and laugh at my 158's. I experimented with a Lyman cast 205gr RN rifle bullet. Loaded in 38spl cases it shot 2 MOA from the Python but it sure was sluggish. I cast it from pure linotype and it weighed 185 grains. Identical in appearance, but 20 grains lighter and it still held 2 MOA ... I sacrificed a Python, but I won a couple state titles with it. :oops: