Winchester 1892 with paper patch bullets at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Well, I think I am onto something.

My old Winchester 1892 .32-20 was keyholing with bullets with .312" which is what the barrel slugs out at, and (115 grain Lyman bullets). So while I wait for .313" bullets to get here, I decided to try paper patching the .312" bullets. I used rice paper which is almost water soluble as delicate as it is. If it's wet and not in place when you want to wrap it, it will tear it is so delicate. I got the bullets with the rice paper sized out to .315" and I used Lee Liquid Alox bullet lube over the paper when it dried.
I took the gun out this morning with a light charge of 2400 and I actually got the gun to shoot accurately. I didn't mess with sighting it in as I wanted to see if the gun would group.

There's no keyholing anymore and while it's not match grade accuracy, it's a definite improvement.

Here's the .312" bullets at 25 yards, notice the start of the keyholing and what is a 4 or 5 inch group.

N8aJQqv.jpg

Here's with the paper patch bullets at 25 yards.

DC0jzYa.jpg

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Wow! That is interesting. The accuracy difference
is really amazing. I really would like to
learn more about your process.

If you would be so kind to show us with pictures,
(if it would not inconvenience you) how you
Paper Patched the Bullets. That would be
very interesting. I know I could read about it,
but would rather heard it from experience shooter.

I really like to Reload, and learn new stuff.
I've Reloaded since a young man, since 1978.
I shoot a lot (44Mag, 44Spl, 357Mag and others).
Currently just started reloading the 45-70 Govt for
Friends.

Thank you for the wonderful picture, and showing
us the wonderful Winchester Art.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have been reloading my 1892 .25-20 Win with Reloder 7. And IMR 4198 powder. And getting good groups. These are excellent, old rifles!

jack black

Blackhawk
Had the same problem with my original 73 in 32/20 could not hit a barn door at 25 yards .I went with the 313 and now it shoots clay birds of the back stop at 100 yards.

Best Wishes