Sonic cleaners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckeyehunter10

Bearcat
As I said in a recent post I am getting back into reloading. I am trying to step up my reloading game. I'm going to get a sonic cleaner. I only reload handgun calibers and the only necked down cartridges I reload are 32-20, 38-40 and a JD Jones wildcat cartridge. I've checked out some sonic cleaners online and they all are about $110. Can you recommend or let me know which ones work best for you or are the best value? Also any "tricks of the trade" that you like I'd be interested in hearing.

Thanks, Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
Most folks use a tumbling type of brass cleaner. And depending upon your personal preferences,, if you go with a tumbling type,, different medias are often used to clean brass.
I currently have 2 tumbling media cleaners, and I converted 4 of the vibrating cleaners into dedicated powder coating units.
I also own a pair of ultra sonic cleaners. One,,, was used for years as my cleaner for scuba regulator repairs. And the second one came along,, and I use 2 different cleaners for different purposes. But I don't use my ultra sonic units for cleaning my brass. I DO use one of my tumblers as a wet cleaner. I use stainless pins, and a cleaner with excellent results.
I've got corncob, walnut shell, both for dry cleaning.
It all falls to your personal preferences.

NikA

Buckeye
I used a sonic cleaner to clean brass for a while. Best advice I can give is to shop around: all the units specifically "for cleaning brass" are just rebadged commercial units that can be bought cheaper on Amazon. The unit I have was about half the price asked from whatever major reloading outfit was offering it.

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Have you ever tried to clean brass using a sonic cleaner? Might save you time and effort if you can borrow one.

Many have been reported to require several cleaning cycles before doing an adequate job, even with small batch sizes. The solution one uses is chemically active, if mildly, so being there near when a cycle is done is usually a good idea. Then the need to dry the cases.

As Mobuck said, there's not a lot of talk about sonic cleaners for brass in reloading forums these days. YMMV of course.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've two sonics a high end jewelers (~$500) high capacity and a cheap parts cleaner from Amazon. Both work equally well and depend heavily on the cleaning solution. I use Dawn but some folks prefer kerosene. Check the cleaner directions for suggestions and limitations. Deprimed cases clean best. Most folks I know use the ultrasonics as they clean the inside of the case which is what matters. The tumblers make the outside shinny which looks nice. With some powders it may be necessary to run two passes. I've only had this with some surplus mil stuff. Do a search on Amazon for ultrasonic parts cleaners. If your reloading space is cool or unheated a headed one may be worth the extra money. I have 2 and 4L cleaners but it depends on what you do with them.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I am hoping to get one of theses for Christmas, for cleaning model engine parts mostly, but I'm sure with a 2.5 liter capacity it would work well for cleaning cases as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/ref=pd_sbs_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NCJ0N6O&pd_rd_r=72K9KB2C8J5XJDNCXZG3&pd_rd_w=nV0vZ&pd_rd_wg=sP8Nl&psc=1&refRID=72K9KB2C8J5XJDNCXZG3

grobin

Blackhawk
BTW wet cleaning is always superior to dry. But you don't need an ultrasonic. An acquaintance who uses a lot of range brass has an old turkey fryer. He fills it about 3/4th full of brass adds 1/2 cp simple green and fills it with water. Boils it fir ~5 minutes. If your SO doesn't object a dishwasher does a good job. For drying I use a dehydrator; got one at a yard sale and another at GoodWill. Another friend uses a Wagner steam cleaner he got to remove wall paper hooked to a plastic container. They all get you to the same place just how much cost, how fast and how much mess; pick two.

Mus408

Hunter
I have been using the Hornady sonic cleaner for several years now and it works great for cleaning my brass. Yes you have to do small batches but it does clean them up.
I use my own solution of distilled water with just a small amount of vinegar and Dawn dish soap.
Also rinse and soak in a baking soda water mix to neutralize any acidity.

Bought a vibrator type cleaner but have only used the ground corn which likes to plug up the primer pocket and will try crushed walnut which I hear doesn't clog. So if that works better may just go to the vibrator machine.

My idea of cleaning is to get any dirt off the cases which would lead to dirt issues in my sizing dies.
If the brass get's nice and shiny as a result that's great!

J. R. WEEMS

Single-Sixer
I jumped on this bandwagon several years ago. Used tumblers, and still do to polish, but after researching several I opted for the Lyman. Just after doing so I discovered 3 buckets, 41/2 gallon full of handgun brass I had stashed and over looked when I fell heir to a supply which of course finally petered out. In two weeks I CLEANED, after depriming, what would have taken me at least six months just using tumblers. This stuff was REALLY dirty. I came to the conclusion that the reports I had read, and there were only a couple, that said they didn't work, was posted by those that didn't follow the simple instructions. All that brass got cleaned up, and these days I only have to clean what centerfire handgun brass that I shoot. :) There has been a LOT of brass through this thing and last week or so I cleaned up about 10,000 pcs of nickel 9mm that I had boxed up waiting for another day. Primers removed it did a super job on this stuff that had been sitting for a long time. Looks like almost new and hasn't even seen the polisher yet. :) I only polish when I am ready to load it.
As for the mixture, I use the Lyman mixture and add a package of orange 'kool-aid' the old non sugar stuff. So, in conclusion, I wish I would of had one years before I did. :mrgreen:
Those that claim to have problems of corn-cob, etc. clogging primer pockets,?? I always wait until AFTER I clean and do a first polish, to resize my brass. Just my way. And Yes, I am retired and have such time, and, I always work ahead of myself. :mrgreen:

Hmmm! I don't use any of that. A solution of dawn, and citric acid warmed with 100 cartridge casings for five minutes and Voila! Presto chango pretty brass. Yeah, I am retired, but don't have a great cash flow, so I do it my way.
gramps

grobin

Blackhawk
There are four reasons for cleaning brass:
Make any defects visable,
Remove junk that may scratch dies,
Remove junk from the primer pocket and inside of the case which may affect ignition,
Make it look pretty (OCD IMHO).

Any of the methods can do all of them. Just: how well, how quickly, how easily (fast), and how cheaply varries. Individual circumstances and taste govern.

blammer

Single-Sixer
I've used a Frankford Arsenal ultrasonic cleaner on and off with Hornady cleaner for a few years. It cleans the case insides very well after about 15 minutes (a couple of maximum timing cycles on the unit) in a way that dry tumble can't (especially narrow cases like 223). The solution gets pretty dirty.

I always dry tumble first and only tried sonic on the stubborn stained stuff that dry tumble does not get clean. For me, it does not help the outside much after dry tumble.

I've read some people have good luck with Harbor Freight sonics.

Also heard that wet tumbler system with stainless steel pins gets things really clean, but have not tried.

I'm pretty lazy, so I like dry tumble since all I have to do it dump in dirty brass, turn on the unit, go away for a few hours (depending on when I've last put in some new media or added liquid media cleaner), then fish out clean-enough brass. No drying needed. Not OCD so innards of cases stay dark .... unless I'm REALLY bored.

I clean all my brass with a tumbler and those stainless pins. Soapy Water and the simply green or whatever it's called. Just a teaspoon or less....

But I skip the dehydrator and just let them air dry. Since I reload a few different calibers, the cleaned brass can dry for a few days.

it's all good... except for those little tiny pins. They are hard to sort out. That takes a while.

But the brass looks like new!

Acorn

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
I am hoping to get one of theses for Christmas, for cleaning model engine parts mostly, but I'm sure with a 2.5 liter capacity it would work well for cleaning cases as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Liters-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01NCJ0N6O/ref=pd_sbs_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NCJ0N6O&pd_rd_r=72K9KB2C8J5XJDNCXZG3&pd_rd_w=nV0vZ&pd_rd_wg=sP8Nl&psc=1&refRID=72K9KB2C8J5XJDNCXZG3

Jimbo that unit looks a lot like Harbor Freights.

https://m.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

20% off coupon would save you a couple shekels. I've been considering one myself. But for cleaning parts not brass.

recumbent

Buckeye
Over the weekend I just bought the Harbor Freight sonic cleaner use a 25% coupon. I have used it 3 times works great. I also bought the replacement warranty.