BRASS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J. R. WEEMS

Single-Sixer
Some years back now, but I got a connection with H&K when the were just up the road. As with all good things the source finally went away when they went South. But before that I acquired enought brass to last me forever. After scratching 3 45ACP carbide dies I started depriming ALL brass on a little reloading bench I made before I got all the room I have today. I still kept my little Lee single stage press and installed a decaying die and use it to this day, some 35 years later. Don't have the brass to clean I once did but the little Lyman sonic cleaner is in the same area and does a super job. Have a cheap little fan to air dry the brass and then move along to the rest of the process to reload. :)

I broke a 9mm carbide sizer ring but I've not scratched one. I run all fired cases through a tumbler for an hour before sizing. Didn't do this until I'd ruined a couple of .223 sizers but finally learned my lesson.

grobin

Blackhawk
I too am curious as to what scratched a carbide dye! I use the Lyman decapper before the cleaning. I find that the Ultra Sonics I have do much better with a decapped case as does any wet cleaning method. A food dehydrater works great for drying. Got mine used from GoodWill and another at a yard sale!

J. R. WEEMS

Single-Sixer
Have no idea what could of scratched the die-- other carbide dust-?? I never did figure it out. All I know is, after going to the above process it never happened again. :)

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I've been reloading for over 60 years, used carbide since it first came on the market, reload at least once a week and have never seen scratched carbide.

I only tumble in a 50/50 mix of walnut/corn cob with NuFinish and some Red Jeweler's Rouge mixed in. One hour of tumbling and it's clean and fairly shiny, which is good enough for me.