Good hunting load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack black

Blackhawk
I was thinking about dusting off one of my Colt SAA in 45 and doing a bit of Deer/Black bear hunting, distances will be under 40 yards and need your input for a load that should suit this need.

I thank you and have a great day

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
I'm getting 1130fps from a 6 1/2" barrel using 18.0gr of 2400 with powder coated Lee 452-255-RF (262gr actual).
Best I remember and depending on what book you look at, 18.0gr would place it near the upper safety pressure level of the clones and very low on the Contender pressure.
The 250gr Hornady XTP #45200 is producing 1100fps with the same charge in the same barrel.

DGW1949

Hunter
jack black said:
I was thinking about dusting off one of my Colt SAA in 45 and doing a bit of Deer/Black bear hunting, distances will be under 40 yards and need your input for a load that should suit this need.

I thank you and have a great day

My experience says that a deer at 40 Yds does not require anything above a SAAMI-spec load when using a .45LC gun. Remington Green box, Winchester Super-X, or a 250-ish LRNFP (or LSWC) over 8.0-8.5 Grns Unique...Take your pick, they'll all do fine. I can guarantee you that the deer won't know the difference in any of those.

The only exception to what I said would be if the particular Colt SAA you are using happens to pre-date the use of smokeless powder. And if that's the case, you best stick with a black powder load.

DGW

grobin

Blackhawk
A friend hunts with a RedHawk using Buffalo Bore +P ammo. +P 260 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point he has taken deer and one elk at 50+ yards. He has also taken a couple elk with his Henry Big boy using this ammo. He doesn't reload and Colorado requires pistols of any sort to have a minimum of 500ft lbs at 50 yards for big game.

DGW1949

Hunter
grobin said:
A friend hunts with a RedHawk using Buffalo Bore +P ammo. +P 260 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point he has taken deer and one elk at 50+ yards. He has also taken a couple elk with his Henry Big boy using this ammo. He doesn't reload and Colorado requires pistols of any sort to have a minimum of 500ft lbs at 50 yards for big game.

That may be fine for your friend and his Ruger ReHawk...but...that type of ammo is NOT for a Colt SAA.
Try to keep up, please...otherwise you're handing out bad (if not downright dangerous) info.

DGW

sixshot

Buckeye
Just took a mule deer doe yesterday with that exact load, 18.5 grs of 2400 & the 260 Keith slug. Shot was 58 yds with an exit just like all the other animals I've taken with that same load. The gun was my Ruger bisley 5 1/2" barrel. I've never recovered a bullet. As mentioned you can dial it down into the 900-950 fps range if you're getting close up shots & you'll be just fine, that big bullet will still work it's magic. Good luck on your hunt.

Dick

jack black

Blackhawk
sixshot said:
Just took a mule deer doe yesterday with that exact load, 18.5 grs of 2400 & the 260 Keith slug. Shot was 58 yds with an exit just like all the other animals I've taken with that same load. The gun was my Ruger bisley 5 1/2" barrel. I've never recovered a bullet. As mentioned you can dial it down into the 900-950 fps range if you're getting close up shots & you'll be just fine, that big bullet will still work it's magic. Good luck on your hunt.

Dick

Thanks Dick, I have been out of the loop for a few years due to back and hip surgeries, I feel better and want to get moving again. In the past using this 2nd gen 45 Colt I was blessed with 9 Black Bear and 11 Whitetails all with a 255 SWC Keith design with 9 grains of Unique. this is the load I now hear is not safe?? I figure it is running at 15-16000 on the pressure . Never an issue . Is 2400 a better choice?

I wish you well and enjoy reading about your adventures with your friends and family.

Jack Black

jack black

Blackhawk
I want to thank all for their input answering my question .I was still wondering about why SAAMI
does not redefine the 14,000 psi on the Colt SAA when the original test was on an old iron frame revolver back in the early 20's ?? All they would need to do is list serial number dates.

Thank You

DGW1949

Hunter
jack black said:
I want to thank all for their input answering my question .I was still wondering about why SAAMI
does not redefine the 14,000 psi on the Colt SAA when the original test was on an old iron frame revolver back in the early 20's ?? All they would need to do is list serial number dates.

Thank You

Because like all things, the SAAMI-spec .45LC is what it is. If was something else, it would be (officially) known as something else...sorta like the 9MM+P, .38-Super, and .38Spl+P are, all of which have their own SAAMI specs which differ from their respective parent loadings.

As for the .45LC, there is no SAAMI-recognized "+P" load, so it follows that there is no "industry standard" in that regard either.
As for the "9.0 Grns Unique" load you asked about...my two loading manuals both show 8.5 as being max with a 250-ish bullet when used in a "smokeless" Colt SAA or clone. The only place I see 9.0 or more is in the "Ruger only" section.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone refutes what I'm saying here by citing other sources but be that as it may...the bottom line is that it's your gun, your choice. The deer isn't going to know (or care) about a half-grain of powder, one way or the other.

Hope this helped.

DGW

sixshot

Buckeye
I agree, half a grain isn't going to make or break your hunt & with a fine old 2nd generation Colt I'd baby it a little if it were mine. If you need to go faster pick up a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk & get nasty! Good luck on your hunt!

Dick