Source for low cost aluminum or copper .38 cal gas checks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Bought a new 158 grain gas check Lee mold for .38/.357 and wonder about a source besides the pricey Hornady and Lyman copper gas checks. I've never used gas checks but want to try them in my 77/357 which leads somewhat with wheel weight alloys. Want to try checks before lapping the bore. Thanks for any leads. Don.
** Oh. While I have your all's ears, please share thoughts on aluminum vs copper checks in handgun loads.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you so much. Now I need to study aluminum vs copper, and make sure I buy the right style. The mold is specifically for a gas check so I'm thinking I don't want the "plain base" checks. May call Sage Outdoors to confer. Don.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I have use both aluminium and copper and have not noticed any difference in performance from one to the other

woodsy

Blackhawk
Go to :
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
or...
https://www.handloadersbench.com/

They will have everything you need to know about gas checks.

And use soda cans for the aluminum. Leading is a function of size of the projectile vs the bore size. In other words fit the projectile slightly larger than bore size. Good luck.
gramps

protoolman

Service-Sixer
It probably doesn't help much but I like the Hornady gas checks best as they crimp on and stay put. They are thicker at the top so they "crimp on" a little tighter. They are expensive but then you get 1000 in a box.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
protoolman said:
It probably doesn't help much but I like the Hornady gas checks best as they crimp on and stay put. They are thicker at the top so they "crimp on" a little tighter. They are expensive but then you get 1000 in a box.
^^ THIS ! ^^

I tried Gatorchecks twice and had to return them both times. If you wait around for a sale you can get the Hornady checks for $25/1000. Buy a few thousand and you'll forget what they cost.