243 shooting problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rock33

Bearcat
update shooting 55 grain bullets with h414 .34 center to center now it shoots good

Chief 101

Hunter
rock33 said:
update shooting 55 grain bullets with h414 .34 center to center now it shoots good
did you do anything besides change the load? I use the same powder with a 65gr bullet and it get the job done.

langenc

Single-Sixer
ilikerams said:
kmoore said:
Yeah right, I blame that bad group on the shooter, that rifle should shoot at least 3/4 inch 20 round groups all day long, rapid fire from standing.
You're probably right, if he'd shoot it off the bench I'm sure the groups would be a lot smaller. :p

What a reply..

Langenc, I should apologize for being rude on here. I though my answer was as funny as the posters (ROCK33) question. I want to believe what people post is true but sometimes it is just plain unbelievable. I took the poster as a joke never a real problem or real question. The best post was #2 GOOD GRIEF. I did get a laugh also and should have left it at that.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
kmoore said:
I want to believe what people post is true but sometimes it is just plain unbelievable.
I once had a guy claim to have shot a running antelope at 800 yards. Is it possible, yeah but the only way I would believe it is if I see with my own eyes. :shock:

GP100man

Buckeye
I had a Remington in 243 it would take a large rifle primer, imr 4895 & a 85gr Hornady spire point bullet.

Took a week to do it but shot 50 rounds into 1.5" at 200.
Particulars:

Concrete shooting bench on concrete pad.
adjustable rests front & back, can`t remember the brand.
bedded scope mounts, Redfeild
36 power target scope, don`t know the brand as the knobs are tall target & no cap, but it`s clear as any I`ve looked thru & it holds zero, adjustable objective & 4" sunshade.
trigger is an adjusted factory, 2#8oz, checked by 2 certified gunsmiths & cleared safe.
NO coffee , NO smoking, NO alcohol, week before & during.

10 shots concentrating that hard a day was all I could do, then nerves in my back would act up & I`d have to stop(hats off to competition shooters) never did it until then & will never do it again!

Sold the rifle , kept the scope.

Now I shoot a 06 at a 3" dot at 100 , all hits then I go shoot a deer, DONE

GP

Three44s

Single-Sixer
To the OP,

Getting a light weight bullet to shoot well in a standard twist factory sporter 6mm class rifle tells me that there is more accuracy in your rifle yet to be discovered.

I would say more break in procedure, ie cleaning (I like JB bore paste ). Also check how your barrel fit your stock. I generally like all my barrels floated but now and then you encounter a rifle that likes some contact.

I would not give up heavier bullets though. It actually is more difficult to get a 10 twist in 243 to shoot those light bullets than the traditional weights.

Also, don't be shy, come back and put the "teasers" to rest with your progress reports.

Best regards and good shooting

Three44s

The difference in post #1 and GP100 man post. Facts, details and a list of his equipment. What he listed that he did not do before the shoot is more important than many understand. From a expert service rifle HP shooter, master ISU and NRA SB shooter most of my adult life.

Latest posts