Reloading .45 colt for a New Model Flattop Mid frame.ideas?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hello,
I reload a few calibers with a single stage press.. I load .45acp, 44mag and now .45colt

I have some powders: Unique, Accurate #2,7and #9 some IMR x700
I picked up some new .45colt brass for my new to me caliber for reloading I picked up 300 pieces of Star line brass and 500 SNS cast bullets they are lead cast 250 grain and are RNFP with the colt crimp grove line.

I decided to load 100 up so my choice of power was Unique Min8.4 grain to 9.5 max with a FPS of 941
So I loaded to 9 grains of Unique with the SNS cast 250 RNFP bullets. with a light to med. crimp Was this a good starting point for the .45colt? For my Ruger mid frame new model Flattop convertible .45colt/.45acp.

Any other good choices I can make with the rest of my cases with what I have.
I have some 200grain .45 acp lead cast LSWC. I see no reason I can't use this bullet in my .45colt loads being I'm somewhat limited as far as pressure goes 14,000
This bullet will seat right below the lead looking at it next to my 250 grain colt bullet it looks like it will take a crimp just above that point. Can I use these for my colt reloads? I also have some acp 230 grain Beery plated FMPlated RN bullets.

Ok My dies are Lee 44mag is the 3 die carbide set
My .45acp set is Lee 4 die carbide set
and I decided to get a Lee .45colt carbide in a 4 die set thinking I could use the crimping die.

On that first 100 .45colt rounds I made up I decided not to use the crimp die. if I set up the bullet seat die right it can be setup to do a light to mid. crimp in one operation and the Bullet and case looked good to me.. thinking it always worked fine for my .44magnim loads.. Does this sound ok?

After looking at my powers and the limited bullets I have how about some ideas for the next 200 rounds. I have to kill another week before I can take the cores I need to take to get my range pass so all this is still like shooting to me as I enjoy it!
Thank you for your help! George

DGW1949

Hunter
Hello George....sounds to me like you are on the right track. Just follow the published loads for a "Colt sized" revolver and you'll be fine.
Some folks like to push things to the very edge because "it's a Ruger, and I can" but myself, I've never seen the point.

DGW

Mus408

Hunter
For all my small frame SA revolvers in .45 Colt I stay at 8.5 Unique with 250-255 gr. bullet since I am plinking steel plate with those. The beefier Blackhawk and .45 Alaskan I use 9-9.5 Unique for plinking. Sounds like you are in the zone!

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
9.0 Unique behind a 250 grain bullet is a relatively strong (in the "normal" range) 45 Colt load. In my SAAs and Rugers that is usually in the 950 - 1000 fps velocity range. These level loads are usually good shooters. My experience is that you want a good strong crimp with any Unique load for best results.

George

Blackhawk
Ok, Just loaded a 100 more rounds with the same bullet and 8 grains of unique for plunking according to my data it's .4 grains lower then the starting load. I'll shoot some of them first and see how I like them. If they seem to shoot ok and I like them I'll use the 9 grain loads more for working loads. Oh Sagebrush Burns, I will re crimp them to the next level! Thanks!

Ok got 500 more of the same bullets on the way.. Depending on how I like what I loaded. I'll try some other powders also..

I think I'm going to load up some of the .45acp 200grain lead cast SWC I have the crimp should be just right, just over the front edge without over seating the bullet. I'll have to start a good light load for my wife to try she has arthritis in her wrists, well actually just about everywhere. So going for a light plunking load for her to try out next. George

NikA

Buckeye
As others have said, I use 9 grains Unique under a 255gr RNFP. That HS-6 load is a Tier II, which should be fine for the FT Blackhawks. I like HS-6 in warmer (not all-out) loads with cast bullets, I'll have to give it a try in the .45.

PythonMan

Bearcat
I have some older reloads I made years ago using a 270gr Keith type LSWC over 8.0 gr Unique. These were made when I had a New Model 45 Colt/45ACP Blackhawk convertable. Would these loads be too strenuous for a New Vaquero model in 45 Colt?

PythonMan

Bearcat
Thank you Contender. It was funny, I was just about to pull the trigger on a new Blackhawk 7.5" in 45 Colt yesterday and at the last moment I spotted a like new New Vaquero with the 4 5/8" barrel in stainless and was immediately smitten with it. I don't think I'd ever really looked seriously at any Vaquero's new or old model but lately I had been looking at new Uberti's and other peacemaker clones. Anyhow, I knew the New model Vaquero's weren't meant to shoot Ruger Blackhawk Only 45 Colt loadings and I'm fine with that. My bullets made up with the 270gr Keith loads from Leadheads were just a smidgen too long at the base of the bullet to sit flush in the rear of the cylinder of the New Vaquero vs the Blackhawk Convertible's I've owned. What I ended up doing is re-seating the bullets further into the case a smidge and re-crimping with my Redding Profile Crimp die and now they sit flush to the rear of the cylinder and there's plenty of room up front. Henceforth I'll stick with nothing heavier than 255gr bullets and lighter.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
One load I like for the .45 C. 6grs of Red Dot. 250 size bullet. I load this for me and my Dr. to shoot. I loaned my blue 4 5/8 Vaquero to him, he had a box of this load. Walked into his timber and shot 2 coyotes with it. Pleasant , with plenty of punch !

PythonMan

Bearcat
I have read Mike Venturino really likes Red Dot with 45 Colt loads. I might have to pick up some and see how it does and importantly how it meters through my Redding BR powder measure. Unique and my Redding don't work well together. I end up bolting my trusty Lyman #55 to the bench whenever I use Unique to get repeatable throws.

George

Blackhawk
I picked up Lee's Deluxe perfect powder measure New for 2017 The body is all brass Looks to be machined and built very well. I know that unique is fussy I have not tried it yet. In fact I've not used a powder any thrower yet So hoping I could find a powder that works well With it.Anyone have any experience with Lee's newnew Deluxe perfect powder thrower.And some of the finicky powders like unique? I also use Accurate number 7 number 9 and number 2.Also use some X700! Thanks! George

George

Blackhawk
I picked up Lee's Deluxe perfect powder measure New for 2017 The body is all brass Looks to be machined and built very well. I know that unique is fussy I have not tried it yet. In fact I've not used any powder thrower yet So hoping I could find a powder that works well With it.Anyone have any experience with Lee's newnew Deluxe perfect powder thrower.And some of the finicky powders like unique? I also use Accurate number 7 number 9 and number 2.Also use some X700! Thanks! George

Rclark

Hunter
Out of the powders you listed, I have only used Unique. I settled on 8.5g of Unique under 250g RNFP. Currently I load 7.0g of Green Dot under 250g RNFP as my goto load. For .45 Colt. I prefer to to use +250g bullets in my guns. There is a lot of good loads out there. Just do a internet search for Taffin and the .45 Colt, or Brian Pearce and the .45 Colt. ...

gcf

Bearcat
Suggested reading: Brian Pearce article "Handloading Lipsey's .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk", Handloader Magazine, 12/2011, No. 275.

Very enjoyable read for a NM Blackhawk Flattop owner. Lotta' good info.

Aside from that, I'd concur with everyone else: You're on the right track! Personally, I'd suggest a 250+ cast bullet, over a medium burn rate powder - at moderate velocity. Red Dot, Unique, 231, VV N-330.

BTW, suggest you find a set of "minus" pin gauges, to check your cylinder throats (probably tight), & your bore for tight spots, as well. Check the "sticky" thread from "Two Dogs" for more info...

4rxAJJN.jpg