Smokin' .45 LC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Received some shining new R-P (were supposed to be Starline :roll: ) nickle cases from GB today and am thinking of loading some old timey BP loads just for nostalgic grins. Since the only black powder I've ever used is....well, actual blackpowder, I'm thinking of playing with a substitute. Figured it may not attract moisture and maybe clean up easier than the real McCoy as well as be safer to store and handle. Bet some of you CAS shooters can fill me in on what gives BP "smokey effect" without the mess ...(and fragrance! :lol: )

Looking for 1870s velocities too (eg around 850 fps) but perhaps with the MP 270 SAA bullet of 275-290 grs instead of the usual 454190 255 gr...

Any advice or comments?

TIA :)

lark63

Single-Sixer
Sounds pretty neat Bucks- I hope someone will chime in so I can try some. :twisted:

Rclark

Hunter
Well, here is the only load I've used to date in my Vaquero. A bit hotter than what you are looking for. Fairly accurate load though.

Triple 7 FFFg, 2.2cc (lee dipper) 250g RNFP, CCI-300, 944 avg, 24 STD.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
just add a bunch of lee liquid alox to some beeswax and you'll get lots of smoke but unfortunetly no the boom :shock:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Fill the case up to where there is slight compression with the bullet seated with Pyrodex P and it works pretty good.

I wouldn't use new brass though, or you can clean it right away because it will corrode quickly after firing.

You do not want any gap or air space with black powder or any of its substitutes. Neither black powder or any of the substitutes develop anywhere near maximum pressure with what you can fit in the case.

You can also use one or two Pyrodex P pellets, you do not want those to crush though.

Rclark

Hunter
Well 777 does 'smoke' pretty good (hack hack... oh, there's the target) ... didn't notice any sparks or flame though :) .

Rclark

Hunter
I've also shot the Pyrodex out of my 1858 Remington. It smokes ok too. Seems a bit dirtier than 777. 777 is hotter than the other subs... I really want to try some Blackhorn 209 at some point. It is expensive, but I don't shoot all that much BP anyway so one can isn't going to break me. I still got my original can of Pyrodex which is at least 1/4 full.... As you can tell I am not a 'true' BP shooter ... just an occasional, few times a year, shooter.

I bought 777 because I can load it with my 'normal' powder measure. Didn't have to buy a special dispenser or resort to the Lee dippers every time. And they say cleanup is easier and not as corrosive... But I found it plenty dirty and of course I clean gun up as soon was I get home.

Note that (at least these subs mentioned) don't smell like true BP.... So that experience is missing.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Rclark:

"Note that (at least these subs mentioned) don't smell like true BP.... So that experience is missing".

Uh, that is an "experience" that wouldn't be missed... :lol:

(Who "cut the cheese"?!? :shock: :oops: )

Charon

Single-Sixer
I (briefly) shot Cowboy Action with a Vaquero in .45, using Pyrodex loads. It threw plenty of smoke, flame, and sparks. In fact, I am still remembered as the guy whose gun set the curtains afire in one "shoot the bad guys out the window" scenario. Pyrodex is claimed to be a "modified" black powder, and it still has most of the aroma of black. For what it might be worth, my wife makes no distinction between the two as far as making me clean the guns outdoors.

Rclark

Hunter
Yesterday I went to check on status of the new Lispey .45 Colt flattop convertible (not there yet), and while there, I ordered up a can of Blackhorn 209 to try. Expensive for 10oz, but one can won't break me. Can't wait to try it!

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Buck if you are curious on how much smoke 777 can produce here is a video of me shooting my Ruger Old Army with 777. Yes it produces a lot of smoke with 777 and to me it even smells a bit like the real stuff. Also the range officer seems to agree that it seems to smell like real black powder.
Me shooting the Old Army with 777.
Jerry

Bucks Owin

Hunter
lovesrugers said:
Buck if you are curious on how much smoke 777 can produce here is a video of me shooting my Ruger Old Army with 777. Yes it produces a lot of smoke with 777 and to me it even smells a bit like the real stuff. Also the range officer seems to agree that it seems to smell like real black powder.
Me shooting the Old Army with 777.
Jerry

Looks to me just like real BP....Perfect... :wink:

Much obliged Jerry!

Rclark

Hunter
A little more data today :

.45 Colt Vaquero 5 1/2" barrel

777 21.0g by weight, 255g SWC, CCI-300, 878fps avg, 56 spread (6 shots) This load shoots high in my Vaquero.

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
Has anyone tried using the 45 cal 30 gr Pyrodex pellets in a Ruger Vaquero? Is there any reason I shouldn't try it? I'd be using a 250 gr copper plated RNFP.

Steve

My blog LIVE FREE OR DIE

"It's not the critic who counts ..."

Rclark

Hunter
Looking back at my load table, testing was all done with 777 FFFg. I've since used both FFg and FFFg (whatever I can get basically) and can't tell the difference. Never did do a back to back test over the chronograph.