Hodgdon Lil'Gun Powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tomisu

Bearcat
I started reloading 15 years ago because of a lack of good boxed ammo at the time for my .32 Winchester Special. I was more than pleased with the results. I did not have any intentions at the time of expanding, but got bit by the bug. About 12 years ago I started loading for my revolvers (.357 mag, .41 mag and .44 mag) and noticed that a new powder - Hodgdon Lil' Gun - listed higher speeds with less pressure on these rounds. I worked up loads for these guns using Hornady XTP bullets and Lil' Gun powder and again was pleased with the results.

Over the past two years I have been seeing a lot of info on the internet concerning Lil' Gun and forcing cone erosion problems. I know, information taken from the internet should be taken cautiously. I have been very happy with the performance and do not see anything out of the ordinary on any of my revolvers using it. I also do not want to cause future porblems with my revolvers. Most of my volume shootin involves lighter loads using Universal Clays that one can tap all day. I use the Lil' Gun for my "hot loads" that I take in the woods (Michigan's Upper Peninsula is full of bear and other creatures that the MI DNRE does not admit are there, but will use people for food). Once in a while I will fire 10 to 15 hot loads just to stay familar with them, and do not rapid fire so the gun does not overheat. One well placed shot will do the trick.

I would like to know what other have experienced with this powder. Mine has been good, but as I mentioned above, I do not what to cause future probems. As a back up plan I am putting together loads using H110 because Lil' Gun is not always available in my area. I would like to hear others experience - good or bad. Thank you.

Tom

427mach1

Blackhawk
Interesting, I load 32 Special, 41 mag, and 44 mag, too; I don't have a 357, however.

I have used about 50 rounds loaded with 'Lil Gun, not enough to see any signs of damage. I use it with 265 grain Cast Performance but I don't think I shoot enough with my 41 to worry about. It sounds like you are doing about the same and as long as you aren't running lots and lots of hot rounds through it, I don't think you'll have any problems.

BCB

Bearcat
the fatman said:
All I care to say is that I will never use Lil'Gun again.

Is it a secret that you don't wish to say anymore? That response doesn't help tomisu very much at all…

Regardless, I have used it and still do with my 357 Magnum and 45 Colt. I haven't used it in my 44 Magnums and really there is no reason why I haven't. I guess I just have proven loads for it with other powders…

I have shot 2 pounds of the stuff through the 357 Magnum and the 45 Colt. If you figure and average charge of 18 grains, more for the 45—less for the 357, that equates to approximately 777 rounds fired…

I see no problems at all. Accuracy remains good with Lil'Gun and other powders that I use in those 2 cartridges…

I found Lil'Gun to be about 2 grains faster than H-110, so I get a few more loads from the Lil'Gun per pound of usage. A small amount for sure, but still some savings. And with just a look at the groups fired with both powders, I do belive that Lil'Gun might have the advantage, but by only a "little bit"...

I dang straight would not fear it if I were shooting all the rounds with it that you are…

I believe the "ruin forcing cones" was started by Freedom Arms. They don't recommend it. Who knows what the real reason is that they don't recommend it…

Your discretion of course, but I haven't had problems with it and many others haven't either…

I honestly think that if there was a problem, Hodgdon would do the right thing…

Good-luck…BCB

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
"I believe the "ruin forcing cones" was started by Freedom Arms. They don't recommend it. Who knows what the real reason is that they don't recommend it…"

I have ruined two FA 454 barrels, and know of another one ruined with Lil Gun. I had slight damage to another barrel that was polished out. These were all FA guns, and 454 Casull. It is fact, not fiction. I can only speak to this caliber and FA guns as I don't know about others. I know that I too won't use it anymore. Too many other powders out there and barrels ain't cheap!

I shot 50 rounds with Lil Gun in a 41 mag Blackhawk before I had the erosion problems in the FA guns. No damage at all that I can see, but still I am done with it. I have 3 pounds just sitting in my loading room. I know 50 rounds does not seem like a lot, but one of the barrels I mention was ruined with just that many.

Dan

GP100man

Buckeye
I found it to warm the barrel on 357&44 loads qwikly !!

I use it spareingly for hunting loads , yor only gonna fire a few at the time .

It`s not a range powder for sure ,but shines in other areas !

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I have no experience with the .454, and some with Lil'gun, and my inquiring mind has to wonder if the pressure levels factor in? Off the top of my head, aren't many .454 loads in the 60,000 +/- psi category, vs. 35,000 +/- psi for the other magnum handgun calibers? I know some folks believe in redline only loads, and that too is a factor.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Bought a pound when it came out, thinking it must be the wonder powder for .357 mag, but I couldn't get near Hodgdon's velocity claims with some pretty erratic ballistics and sticky cases to boot. Tried it in .44 mag, couldn't get W296 velocity without more of the same...

I don't rapid fire, most of my shooting is slow and deliberate over the chrono for group size, so didn't encounter the heat erosion bugaboo that others have claimed....(And a couple hundred rds convinced me to go back to W296 anyway, so....)

I just prefer the steady, predictable and excellent performance of W296...My second favorite for .44 and .45 use is SR4759, albeit not as fast but excellent accuracy. (Thanks Carl :wink: )

Maybe if I get a .410 or a Hornet at some point, I'll give it another shot. Supposedly it shines there....JMHO 8)

Bucks Owin

Hunter
M'BOGO said:
I do load it in the Hornet, I couldn't believe it. VERRRY NICE.

That's what I hear! I hope to get a Hornet barrel for my Handi Rifle one day, and do a "before and after" with std vs K- Hornet rechamber just for fun... :wink:

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Lil'Gun is a powder that probably shoots very well in 270g and up bullets for the 44Mag/45Colt. I have received great results with a Speer 270g DeepCurl as well a bulk 240g Montana Gold JSP.

Now I have very minor erosion of the barrel face but I cannot attribute it to Lil'Gun as the sole culprit. It was not until about mid April that I kept detailed load records (loaded for a month prior to that) but I have not fired more than 200rounds of Lil'Gun out of an approximate count of 1200 rounds. About 800 of those rounds have been jacketed bullets with the rest being lead. As far as propellants, I have mostly fired stout loads of 2400 which is in the mid to upper 19g range along with the powders used in WWB and American Eagle factory loads. I have been using a good amount of Titegroup for plinkers and have begun using HS-6 as of 3-4 weeks ago for mid level loads. But the fact remains. I have shot a lot of stout magnum loads near max charges. About a month ago, I shot nothing but HS-6 and about 36 Lil'Gun loads with 240g slugs. After the Lil'Gun loads, I could not see any increase in the striations along the barrel face. So to be fair, I cannot truly pin the blame on Lil'Gun at this point. I do however plan to get an 11 degree forcing cone recut as I will be shooting mostly lead as the time wears on. For 240g slugs, I will probably go to H110 and use Lil'Gun for my 270g and 300g jacketed slugs. I will be keeping notes as far as what each load does to the barrel face after the recut.

Iowegan over on the other Ruger forum basically states that barrel face erosion will occur with any slow burning magnum powder (2400, AA9, H110/W296, Lil'Gun, IMR4227) loaded to the max. But Dan, as we discussed before, the FA does have a very tight B/C gap and admittedly the 454 Casull operates at nearly double the pressure. So the issues with the FA revolvers is very easy to understand and very believable.

In short, I feel that Lil'Gun is not that bad of a powder for use in 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, and the other smaller calibers mentioned here. But my own results show, that while good in medium weight for caliber bullets, Lil'Gun shines with heavy for caliber loads. But once again, careful logging after my recut will tell the tale.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
i quit using it in revolvers. to be honest i didnt use enough of it myself to see any dramatic errosion but did see it in my buddys gun. I figured id burn it up in my 50 beowulf ar. 5 quick shots and you can about light a cigerette off the barrel. 5 shots with wc297 and you can hang on to the barrel. The differnce is that dramatic. I wont use it in that anymore either. Ill burn up the rest of this 8lb jug in the 22 hornet but wont buy anymore of it

Jbrown75

Single-Sixer
Lloyd Smale said:
I figured id burn it up in my 50 beowulf ar.
I've gone to H110 and Reloader7 in my Beo. I wasn't a huge fan of the 'glowing barrel' phenomenon. I've never seen the need for LilGun in any of my revolvers based on my experience with the Beo.

Lee Martin

Hunter
I've used it, but its never given me a reason to switch from H110. One thing I have noticed is I'm unable to hit advertised velocities with Lil'Gun. Seems to miss by a lot compared to the manuals. H110/W296 on the otherhand tends to perform as advertised. Also, if Freedom Arms recommends not using it in their 454s, there must be some truth to the rumor of premature wear on forcing cones. Just my two-cents.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Shoots .357 very well in my 1894C. Never tried it in a revolver.

tomisu

Bearcat
Thank you everyone for the good responses. Since I am planning on building data for H110 anyway, it sounds like I should go that route. I obviously had heard about the problems with Fredom Arms, but was wondering if anyone has similar issues with Ruger revolvers. Mine may not show any unusual wear, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

As for using in a rifle, I have heard nothing but good things about how it performs there, my experience using it in rifle is based on others. I will be putting together some Lil'Gun rounds for my M1 .30 Carbine and will let you know my results. Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

Tom

pps

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin said:
Bought a pound when it came out, thinking it must be the wonder powder for .357 mag, but I couldn't get near Hodgdon's velocity claims with some pretty erratic ballistics and sticky cases to boot. Tried it in .44 mag, couldn't get W296 velocity without more of the same...

I don't rapid fire, most of my shooting is slow and deliberate over the chrono for group size, so didn't encounter the heat erosion bugaboo that others have claimed....(And a couple hundred rds convinced me to go back to W296 anyway, so....)

I just prefer the steady, predictable and excellent performance of W296...My second favorite for .44 and .45 use is SR4759, albeit not as fast but excellent accuracy. (Thanks Carl :wink: )

Maybe if I get a .410 or a Hornet at some point, I'll give it another shot. Supposedly it shines there....JMHO 8)

That is EXACTLY how I use this powder. With the Hornet...it's fullproof. I literally fill up the cases, tap it down ant top it off. Then seat the bullet to compress the charge (14.5 grains over a 35 grain v-max, or a 30 grain Varmint grenade) 3200fps for the v-max and nearly 3400 for the varmint grenade.

tomisu

Bearcat
I finally got my results using Lil' Gun in my M1 30 Carbine. I found the max load to be extremely accurate putting 10 rounds into one hole about the size of a quarter at 25 yeards. The barrel was also fairly clean after 50 rounds.

I also tested H110 rounds and found the accuracy to be more than acceptable - almost as tight as the Lil' Gun grouping at half way between start and max load.

Since I do not have a chronograph, I can only judge speed by where they hit the target, though that is not the best indicator. All of the Lil'Gun rounds hit lower on the target and very slightly to the left. While some of the H110 rounds hit slightly to the left, not all groups did. The load I chose all hit in the center both in elevation and windage.

All things considered, even though the Lil' Gun rounds were more consistant, I will go with the H110 because they work with the sights originally on the rifle and still made a hole less than the size of a half dollar at 25 yards.

tek4260

Buckeye
Back in the day, there was a Savage ML board that had some loads using Lil Gun. I believe the load was 54gr of Lil' Gun with a 240gr Sabot. I know it would run a bit over 2800 fps from my smoke pole.

Then there was this little tid bit of info I found...

The powders listed include IMR-4227, Accurate Arms XMP-5744 and VihtaVuori N110. However, the loose interpretation of "propellants such as those listed above" has resulted in many shooters now loading and shooting powders that are not all that compatible with this system, such as Hodgdon's LIL' GUN. This is a fine rolled powder developed for use in .410 shotshells. Some Model 10ML II shooters are loading and shooting more than 50 grains of this powder to get a saboted 250-grain bullet out of the Model 10ML II muzzle at around 2,700 f.p.e. And such loads are producing in excess of 60,000 p.s.i. inside the muzzleloader's barrel. That's more than the recommended maximum loads for the .300 Winchester Magnum.

Twas shooting a ML-1 though which is much stronger. But alas it was a worthless hunting load. A deer shot behind the shoulder at less than 100 yards would be bloodshot from front to back.

I guess the gist of this is ya need to buy a ML-II to use all that powder up in! Just keep it under 50 grains! :)

Latest posts