Heavy 38-40 loads?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBio

Buckeye
Background I made up a pistol commemorating my Native American grandmother. I had Tyler do the work, using an OM Vaquero (45 Colt) as the basis. The barrel is 5.5" and from a 2nd Generation Colt SAA. Bobby had a custom, unfluted cylinder made. Frame was case hardened; other parts are OM Ruger. I also have a mint condition Winchester 1892, also case hardened. Been shooting factory 38-40 loads.

Question Anybody have a starting point for "hotter" loads? I will likely be giving these to one of my grand daughters as a wedding present next summer. I would like something with sufficient power to drop a large black bear (She lives in Flagstaff). She doesn't really hunt but is familiar with firearms (both she and her sister have "taken their elk" while in their teens).

I am a experienced reloader (Everything from 22-250 up to 45-90, including 458 Win.; CAS pistols, BP cartridge, etc.) and an experienced hunter and 20 years as a wildlife Biologist (both in grizzly country).

Thanks, in advance (checked 6 pages of previous postings and couldn't find anything)