Bringing an Oehler 35P chrono back to life

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JFB

Hunter
My chrono has been in the barn for decades. With the desire to do some reloading and shooting, I wanted to see if it still works. Putting in a fresh battery, the printer made noise and the display lit up.

So far so good.

The old paper left in it was brittle and at the time I didn't know much about the printer's ink source. The results from google were not promising, seems like these things had a flawed roller that disintegrated. Well after taking printer off for inspection, my paper feed roller was crud!

oTljABK.jpg

Interesting there is no replacement roller available, however Oehler bought a bunch of calculators that uses a similar printer. They remove, modify and sell for replacement printer for $50, so not all is lost.

I had the ideal to try and repair the roller by cutting a strip of paper, wiping it with Elmer's and wrapping it around the shaft. I was lucky in that my first 11" strip broke with about 5" when the paper roller just made contact with the hard backing roller.

I found the ink roller and refreshed the ink with a quick dip in mineral oil

2MShli1.jpg

The plastic gearing concerned me in that in the "as found" position, the drive gears for the paper feed could be rotated due to missing teeth in the motor gear. Sure hope that has something to do with printer timing and not a result of putting in fresh battery

Well the first loading of paper just felt too loose. I noticed a dispenser of narrow cellophane tape, so I took a 4" section and with a tooth pick got in on the paper roller and fingered the gear to wrap the tape. Well, the mechanical advantage between the rollers allowed me to easily put on enough that the roller bars now have a slight bow AND the paper cannot be side through, requires the printer motor drive to load.

To test to see if it works, I used a 22/45 4.5" Mark III (with can) with CCI SV.

pop---piff---piff--piff----

Hurray!

The printer typed the velocity strings with an average of 890 FPS. Seems a little low, but glad to see the thing working. Now to start reloading a few rifle rounds

JFB

Hunter
I called, the printer is $50 to replace. I haven't priced sky screen diffusser pieces. The polite tech I talked with, explaining the long, harsh storage stated he would only expect what I found with the printer and the other compnents should be good to go. If I have any other problems, call as needed

I am sure the oversized drive roller I made is putting an increase in bearing loadings. It is now an extremely positive paper advance, more so than when it was new with the designed sticky type roller.

Given I MAY only use it a few times to see what some Trail Boss loads are actually producing, the repaired printer should last that long.

the sky screens worked OK without a cleaning. I was getting a few "false" readings. Not sure if it was dirty connections with the plugs or "glints" from the dusty screens. when I get time I plan to at least wipe the years of dust of them.

My first desire is to load up a reduced 30-06. I'll post my results when I do