Kirst Cylinder for ROA....safe load?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have some reloads here with 250 grain lead bullet at .454" and 6.6 grains of Winchester 231 powder. Are these safe to shoot in the Kirst? They were chronographed at 801 FPS. Should I only be using black powder loads? Thoughts? David

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Hodgdon 'Cowboy Action Data'. Check the last page. HP-38 and W231 are the same powder, at least the newer powder is.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/cowboy-action1.pdf

They show a Max load of 7.1 gr for 916 fps. That seems kinda hot to me.
Your load of 6.6 gr at 801 fps seems reasonable to me but I am no expert.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks Jimbow. I know there are guys here who have difinitive info. I am hoping they will give an opinion. Sometimes opinions about reloading data are harder to obtain. Thanks again, Dave

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Are These YOUR Reloads ???? If Not How Well Do You Know The Person Who Loaded These???? If Not Yours, I Would Be VERY CAREFUL !!!!!!! Just My .02....

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
I think the question is about the krist cylinder rather than which smokeless load is best. It is best to keep in mind that the ROA is for black powder only as per the owner's manual (also black substitutes of course). So regardless of the use of one cylinder over another, the gun is never going to be safe with any smokelss powder according to Ruger. Any smokeless loads are a no-no. It is my belief that Ruger over builds the ROA & kristy makes a great product, but if you need smokelss then shoot a Blackhawk.
I have been loading a .454 round ball over 30 grains of Pyrodex P in Remington cases with a wonder wad and a roll crimp. Accuracy is very good and smoke is awesome. Clean up is simple, warm water & Simple Green, gun and cases. Stick to black powder for the experience or use the smokeless approved Blackhawk for smokeless loads for safety.
Happy shooting

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Justice, while I would never load the original cylinder with anything but black powder, I know that the cylinder from Kirst is rated for both BP and for lighter smokeless loads, the type used for cowboy shooting. My question was for those with experience with the Kirst to see if my loads were in that "light" category. I believe I may have answered my own question as the Kirst is rated no higher than 14,000psi and my loads come in at 11,500psi. I respect your caution. David