Anyone order from this company?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I want to try some coated wadcutters. I've been happy with the plated I've shot, but with the lack of data for jacketed or plated in 148 grain, I would like to try some coated, hoping for better accuracy, and more peace of mind that I won't stick one in the barrel. I have access to a chronograph, but not for another month or two.

This company has a little better prices than most, if I order over $100 worth I get free shipping.

http://www.cheycastbullets.com/HI-TEK-SUPERCOAT-38cal-WC-148gr_p_197.html

I've had some issues with coated before. Too high a percentage run through the sizer backwards, resulting in crushed noses. Fragile coatings, resulting in leading. Too high a percentage oversize in diameter, likely not run through the sizer. The best I have run across so far is Bayou. Robust coatings, consistent quality on sizing, weight and shape. Price is comparable. Trouble with them is the only wadcutters they sell are an odd weight. 138 grain. No data available in the powder I use.

Any feedback from those that may have ordered from them would be appreciated.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The coating seem robust? Several that I have tried have a very thin, fragile coating. It doesn't take much to go through. While in most guns, I get no leading, with others, I get a thin splatter of lead in the forcing cone. I get that even backing off on the crimp until I get just a kiss on the coating.

Others seem to have a very robust coating that takes a lot to penetrate. I can even crank the crimp down a fair amount and it still maintains integrity.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
No experience at all with coated bullets here but it seems like a taper crimp might take care of some of the problems with crimping coated bullets.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
No experience at all with coated bullets here but it seems like a taper crimp might take care of some of the problems with crimping coated bullets.

I have had coated bullets with robust coatings, and some with fragile coatings. When I get the robust ones, I don't really have to worry too much about my crimp. I normally use a light to medium crimp anyway. When I get coated from a new to me manufacturer, I always pull a few crimped bullets to ensure that I am not cutting the coating. Some of the fragile coated ones will have the coating penetrated by having a bullet bump against the side of the seating die. The robust coatings take a lot of punishment without compromising the coating.

I have an SP101 that seems to attract lead to the forcing cone like a magnet. The fragile coated bullets end up leaving a light spray of lead spatter in the forcing cone. Plated and robust coated bullets don't do this.

Allen in MT

Bearcat
check out this company in Polson MT , good guys to deal with.
http://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/?target=main

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Allen in MT said:
check out this company in Polson MT , good guys to deal with.
http://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/?target=main

Thanks, but I'm looking for coated.

I ended up giving my buddy 500 cast wadcutters because I was tired of cleaning lead out of two of my revolvers. Wish I hadn't traded in my old Model 10 that loved lead.

mikld

Blackhawk
I've only used around 1,100 PCed or Hi-tek coated bullets. I reload them just like I reload lead bullets; same load data, same case prep., and same crimping. On some I've loaded near max lead loads (148 DEWC, PCed, with a near max load of W231 for my house gun), but have been pretty successful with lead methods/data...

Not familiar with Chey-Cast bullets, but I've only found one commercial caster out of mebbe 6-8 that I would not buy from again, and sorry, I forgot their name...

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Epishemore said:
Have you tried ordering a sample pack from Chey-Cast?

Well, for me the $8 shipping for a sample pack is pretty much a deal killer.

I generally consider 500 a sample pack.

To get the good prices I really need to order over $100 worth. On a $100 order, it is basically a 15% discount.

I may just order a 500 box and take the hit on shipping. They are unlikely to be so bad I can't use them. The last batch of coated I had were working fine in the Model 10, but found they didn't work so well in the new SP101. I don't want to have to order from a bunch of different companies, if at all possible. I can live with buying plated for one caliber from one company, and coated for another caliber from another. Getting it all from one would be preferable.

I was hoping to get a couple people that could give me an idea how decent they are.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
jimbo1096 said:
They list a phone number, why not call them directly and discuss your concerns?

Questions about our products? Call Hank @ (307) 778-6636

Mainly because I would trust the experiences of real world people over someone trying to sell me their product.

Having said that, I might call them and see what they have to say about their products. I will, however take what they say with a grain or two of salt.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Update, I ordered a "sample" pack of 500 last week. Ordered them Tues night and they showed up on my doorstep Fri. Kudos for fast service from WY to SC. They look good. I loaded up a handful and made a quick range trip yesterday to check them out. They shot well and settled on a tentative best load for them. Will do a full checkout on our weekly range trip today. If they don't spatter the SP101's forcing cone with lead, I will call it a success and order in a quantity of them.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, they shot well, but the 101 had a buildup of lead in the forcing cone. They did just fine in the model 10. I can use the rest of them in it.

I guess I'll go back to plated. I need to get out to the outdoor range with my buddy's chrony to make sure I'm pushing them fast enough.

Latest posts