RCBS Rock Crusher Supreme and old rock Crusher?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Going back some 30 years plus I was told by local gunsmith that I dealt with A rock Crusher was one of the best reloading presses that you can get. Wondering what the difference is between a Old Rock Crusher press 30-plus years old and the new rock Crusher Supreme presses? Are they made the same? Are they cast iron Cast zinc cast aluminum? Basically I want to know if the old rock Crusher Was really much better than the new Rock Crusher Supreme they have today. Thanks! George

RSIno1

Hunter
Old Rockchuckers were all USA. I don't know about the new ones. I've heard the castings are of foreign origin (China?) and machined here - can't confirm may be fake news. I'd wager a new model even if still cast iron is lighter. On the website I can see there is no longer provisions for the primer feed (that I use all the time) and it states it's taller for larger cartridges. I load 300 Weatherby and 458 Win Mag on mine with no height problem. The new one also has a longer handle with a ball grip (can be added to old ones) that you can use L or R handed. I'd go for an old one just for the ease of priming.

NEW
http://rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and-Kits/Single-Stage/Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Press.aspx

OLD - I'll call it mid era since it has different paint and plastic primer catcher. My early one had aluminum catcher and lighter wrinkle green paint. (I sold it with the RCBS progressive unit on it and currently have the one like this)
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/334327_RCBS_Rock_chucker.html

BTW - RCBS presses have the year of mfg stamped on the surface where the die screws in.

George

Blackhawk
I am using a Lyman acculine hand held single stage now. Good thing is that it can also be mounted and that's how I use it.. I don't mind slow and steady. I just got the new 2017 lee deluxe powder drop to speed things up. Thinking a better press would feel better and leave the one I have now for one detacated opperation. I have not tryed powder drop yet! Sorry lm using my phone and its hard with my big fingers. George
Price would be $127 for the supreme press!

George

Blackhawk
wizofwas said:
I am pretty sure he means Rock Chucker as the only Rock Crusher I know of is a Muncie transmission. But both are bullet proof.ghos
And woud that be a Muncie M-21 or M-22 ! See I do know what your talking about. Ya I should re read and corect my posts. But its a pain on the butt on this phone! George

Enigma

Hunter
CH-4D makes a HUGE press called a Rock Crusher, it is much, much larger than a Rock Chucker: http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000, and costs over $1,500 retail. No comparison.

They also sell the Champion press, which is a better comparison to a Rock Chucker. So, which one was the OP's gunsmith referring to?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

As far as I know, I have one of the last versions of the Rock Chucker definitely made in the US. Possibly the last one before the Supreme? I dunno for sure... I bought it used but in "looks like the previous owner only loaded about one box of shells" condition right after the Supreme came out.

Differences I can see that might affect operation are that the Supreme can handle slightly longer cartridges (.30-06, my longest, slips right in the older one), and the handle can be switched for right or left handed operation. Beyond that, there may be changes that didn't catch my eye. I never used the primer "tools" that came attached to any of my presses, preferring either a hand primer, or a ram primer for on press use, so can't compare what used to be with what is today.

Are the Supremes "Made in USA" in the sense of American casting, American machining, American assembly? I have heard over and over they've got some Asian blood in 'em today, though how much is arguable. I've seen posts where folks say they've contacted RCBS on this issue, and seem to get a consistent "No comment" type answer. It's been my experience that people who ARE building their products here in the U.S. are generally proud of the fact and advertise it. So who knows???

Since numerous folks have reported loading a quarter to half million rounds on a Rock Chucker, I'm guessing it would be work to wear out even a Chinese one if RCBS holds 'em to the quality we've become used to from the company. A buddy got a Rock Chucker Supreme kit a few months ago, and so far, there have been no complaints. It's still iron, still built like a tank, still tosses spent primers all over the place (Forster and Redding have both solved that problem and Lee has borrowed Redding's solution: c'mon, RCBS, catch up!) and still offers a lifetime warranty with "industry best" level customer service.

For decades the Rock Chucker has been pretty much the benchmark in single stage presses for most of us. Truth be told, though, things change, and today I think the all U.S. made Lee Classic cast iron press offers a couple of engineering advantages, and arguably the best dollar for dollar "value" for most loaders, while the Redding line, though a bit pricier than RCBS, also has some engineering advances and is proudly advertised as all U.S. made, with no hemming or hawing about the issue. I'd look long and hard at both those makes if I really thought I needed a new single stage press. Remember, though, none of the big names puts out a bad press, and the differences, like so many things in the reloading hobby, are just a matter of personal preference more than anything else.

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
George said:
Rick, Thank you very much, what a great write-up.Do you think 127 is a good price for the Rock chucker press The Supreme? Early thinking about this.Thanks so much! George

Hi,

George, sounds like you were looking at Midway's weekend sale! I think that's a pretty good price: when I got my used one, a new pre-Supreme model could be found for around $120 if one kept their eyes open, and that was six years ago this month.

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Buckeye Bill said:
On the other side it has:

RC II

Is this a supreme?

Hi,

Bill, that would be a Rock Chucker II, AFAIK the model immediately preceding the Supreme, which is marked RC IV. I don't recall ever seeing an RC III.

Rick C