Moving into 44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Chief 101 said:
Mr Bill, do some research before you download WW296, I don't use much 296/H110 these days but in years past it was recommended to not go anything other that full-house loads with it. Again, have fun and shoot straight...

Hi,

Yes, one needs to check around when seeking to make "plinkers" using 296, but I've found some big changes in the "recommendations" for reducing 296 loads since Hodgdon's entered the distribution game for Winchester powders.

Originally, when Winchester was in charge, for years the word on 296 was "Thou shalt not reduce these loads!" Then Hodgdon's came into the picture and it became ok to download it 3%, while I think H-110 was ok'd for 5%. I'd have to look at Hodgdon's site to see what their limits are now, but I know today they use exactly the same recipes for the two powders, supporting what's been the word on the street for years that they're the same powder wearing two labels (another change from when Winchester was in charge.) I've also found some current info for 296 which allows up to the normal 10% "starting load" reduction we've used in so many areas for decades (I'd have to check, but I believe both Speer and Hornady show some reduced recipes in their recent editions.)

I've loaded a bit of that "seriously" reduced 296 data, and find it rather pleasant to shoot compared to the normal full house 296 loads which were, to be polite, uncomfortable to shoot even in my 7 1/2" Redhawk. The recipes using Unique are still nicer to shoot, but the difference isn't automatically painful like it used to be.

Read, research and test is about all I can suggest! And don't send the Smith down the road too soon... it'll be great insurance if you choose to add a BH or RH to the stable until we find out if the new CEO at Ruger believes the first thing you should be able to do with a gun you just bought is shoot it, or follow tradition and send it back right away to learn about the company's fantastic "customer service!" ;)

Rick C

"Also has some IMR 800X "

I've used 800X and 200 HP for an every day load with good results. Enough power for most anything less than big bears but not unpleasant to shoot as much as you want. My normal 44 mag is a 4 5/8" SBH so recoil is a big factor in my ammo choices.
AA#9 is another good option as it will load to lower velocities than H110/WW296 but come close to them on the high end.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Hodgdon has 23.0gr as the start load for H-110/W296 with a Max of 24.0gr with a Nosler 240gr bullet.
I would not go below 22.0gr.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Thanks Jimbo357mag,

I have seen that number used.

I have a Speer manual and it uses 22 grain as the low mark.

My Hornady Edition 10 states 20.7 as the low mark.

I think I will be safe to load some test rounds at 21.2 to 21.7.

The 22 grain loads I fired yesterday were hot but not too bad.

Bill

mikld

Blackhawk
Go with the Unique. You won't be sorry and you'll be able to get loads from mild to wild...

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Buckeye Bill said:
I think I will be safe to load some test rounds at 21.2 to 21.7.

The 22 grain loads I fired yesterday were hot but not too bad.

Hi,

Remember to put a VERY firm crimp on any 296 loads, and watch what primer the recipe calls for. Magnum primers (or the "std/mag" large pistol version from Winchester) are almost universally called for with 296, so you should be good to go with the CCI 350, and the heavy crimp helps get stuff lit off well.

Rick C

Rick,

Thanks for your clear advice on how to proceed. I appreciate all of the information that has been provided. Shooting and reloading is one of those things that create vast pools of knowledge. This forum gives me a chance to tap into this knowledge and move to the next level.

I am going to keep working these lower level W296 loads. I am going to load a few with Unique also and see how that feels.

I have not mentioned it yet, but I have another 44 Mag that is heading my way and I plan to load for it also. I was fortunate enough to purchase a No.1 in 44 Mag from a fellow forum member.

Yes, I will be loading for my 629 and a No.1.

So, my wheels have been turning. Wouldn't be nice if I could find a load that I could shoot in both. I am thinking that the low end W296 might be just right in the No.1. But, there might be more to this picture than I can currently see. I have been comparing Hornady 44 Mag load data for rifle and pistol. The low end load with the pistol data is middle of the spectrum for rifle length barrels.

I might end up walking away from my W296 and finding a better selection.

Bill

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
H-110/W296 as well as Accurate #9 are the best powders in my 44mag rifles unless you want plinking rounds. Would love to hear about your shooting that #1 in 44mag.

...as far as making up loads for both guns what I have found is that you can go either way, make strong loads for the rifle that you can use once in a while in the handgun or make moderate loads for the handgun that you use occasionally in the rifle. The chances of finding one load that is perfect for both is slim.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I never fired anything but cast in my SRH. Never any factory loads either. Most of my loads were H110 or 2400 with various weight bullets. It's accurate and fun. As soon as I recover from my cancer and chemotherapy I'm going back to the range for some more fun.

Rclark

Hunter
Load 10.0g of Unique under a 240g bullet (I prefer the SWC) and don't look back. It's about a 1100fps load. This load is enough to let you know you aren't shooting a .44 Special load, yet you can shoot it all day long. Accurate in my Ruger .44 Mag revolvers. For my magnum loads, I use 2400 for the simple reason I can pick the load I want over a wide range. For 'max' type loads though W296/H110 (from what I read, as I've never used it) is hard to beat... I just don't go to those power levels anymore. Paper plates and steel targets, tin cans, varmints, are just as 'dead' with a nice relatively 'comfortable' load without all the blast and noise.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Buckeye Bill said:
Rclark,
I like your description of Unique. Not sure I need the all that W296 has to offer.

Hi,

Bill, Rclark brings up 2400 as an alternative to 296, and I've known a few guys who've tried both powders and settled on 2400 for the very reason he mentions, a wider range of load possibilities. However, like any powder, it's not perfect: they've all reported that there's a window (different with each gun, of course) where 2400 works "best" for them. For one buddy who's burned a lot of it finding the best load to knock down 200m rams on a silhouette course, it was only about a half grain wide! But it was worth the work finding it--he was shooting A/AA class in no time after settling on it.

Also, magnum primers are not usually required with 2400, in case that's any kind of a selling point (like simplifying inventory?)

Rick C

mikld

Blackhawk
One of the stand out things about the .44 magnum is the variety of powders that can successfully be used. I have used many powders between Bullseye and H110/W296 and a bunch of WC820(n). I still use a lot of Universal and Unique, and like some of my 2400, Blue Dot loads. Very versatile...

Test fired some today.

21.3 of W296 with Berry's 240 grain plated bullets was not so bad today. Fired 12 of those and I enjoyed the experience.

Next, 10.0 grain of Unique with that same Berry's bullet. Wow, that was nice. Firm push to let me know that some 44 was going down range yet much less snap. I might have found a plinking load.

I also tested some 357 mag plinking loads with 158 grain FP extreme plated bullets and 13.1 grains of IMR-4227. Also a very pleasant experience.

Bill

Chief 101

Hunter
'A pleasant experience'...and a good time was had by all.
When you take a lady, kids or first timer out shooting, it will be a good place to begin... :D

altajava

Bearcat
Buckeye Bill said:
I have loaded 44 mag in the past but in a very limited number for a friend that has a Dan Wesson 44. I loaded middle of the road powder charge and we shot it together. It fired great and he was very satisfied with my work.

So, I have purchased a Smith and Wesson 629.

Today I purchased 500 Hornady XTP 240 gr bullets.

CCI 350 primers

Winchester and Starline brass (200 each)

Win 296 powder.

Lee factory crimp die.

I am going to be using Hornady 10 edition manual.

I think that I am all set to get started.

Any advice from experienced loaders on the 44 mag round?

Plinking and target work is my purpose.

Bill

Win 296, 240 XTPs, CCI 350 and Starline is exactly what I've been using for years. But I've topped off at 22 grains so I can run the same load through my 1894 Marlin. Prior to the Marlin I had been as high as 23 grains but that's too much for the lever gun and just to be safe I'm only making one load.

My 629 is off to Smith and Wesson due to canted barrel. Shoots way left.

Fired 200 rounds so far in the Smith. Mix of slow Unique loads and medium hot 296 loads.

22 grains of 296 would be a nice combo round for rifle and pistol.

I am going to keep loading to build up the stock pile for when 629 returns.

Number one likes everything. 22 grains of 296 shoots nice. 3 inches at 100 with open sights. Round count is about 125. Fun!

Bill