Trail boss..?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have fired Trail Boss in many different cartridges from .38 sp. on up to
The .50-95 Winchester. I have found it to be very accurate when used to produce black powder velocity's in rifle and lower velocitycast bullet loads in handgun.
I have gotten some amazing ,one hole five shot groups at 50 yd. with the 300-350 gr. Bullets and 13 gr. TB in the .45-70 . Very low recoil,any kid could shoot it all day long.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I guess I will find out. Got some Trail Boss and some 215 gr powder coated bullets. Just loaded 25. Probably shoot them in the next couple of days. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Trail Boss metered. I used 5.2 grains under the 215 bullets in .41 mag. My first run with lead bullets in this gun.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I imagine that because of it's bulk that it's extreme spread (ES) is much less than powders that don't fill the case as well. :D

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Got to shoot the new loads today. 5.2 gr Trail Boss. 215 Bayou Bullets powder coated. Around 800 fps. Very pleasant shooting load. I can't attest to accuracy. I just can not shoot this gun well. But for me they shot as well as the jacketed bullet-Titegroup loads I had along and have been shooting for a while. And without as much gas and muzzle flash. But I shoot my 686 oh so much better. I do not know if it is the sights, the trigger, the grip, recoil sensitivity, or just what. But shooting offhand I get groups with the 686 that are 1/2 to 1/3 of the size I get with the Blackhawk.

Think I will order some more of the Bayou Bullets. Is there any reason to try the copper plated bullets instead?

Rclark

Hunter
I had to find loads that were 'accurate' in my guns (.44s and .45s, but didn't care for it in .357). I suspect you'll have to as well in the .41. I don't own any .41s, so can't make any suggestions.

Johnnu2

Hunter
IMHO Trail Boss is THE answer to an old man's desire to keep shooting his handguns. I never was a fan of super hot loads, but as I got into my 70's I noticed that my chronically damaged neck was reacting to normal loads of Unique and W-231 in my bigger bore guns; I was even developing minor wrist pain as time went by. TB has solved both of those problems. I usually just shoot plates so I haven't researched the accuracy potential on targets but I can tell you that I can hit the plates almost all the time at 25 and 50 yds and, I can't ask for more than that. Unfortunately I've been having a bit of trouble finding it these days............ J

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
woodperson said:
How much Trail Boss does you .41 like?

Sorry
Although all my loads can be found in Published Sources, in this case the Hodgdon's Online Data Center, I do not post specifics of what my guns like. Call me paranoid if you like, would just hate to typo something or have someone "read-oh" it and have a problem. From my experience I am pretty sure if you go to the Hodgson web site, start with their listed starting load and work up you will find one that works in your guns.

Kevin

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
I'm pretty sure competent people don't depend on us internet guru's for their load data.
They are just interested in other peoples results.

Throckmorton

Bearcat
one thing i've learned about TB in my cowboy loads for .45 colt., the low end loads suck. I use middle of the road with the handguns,and top end for the carbine.
Be aware,nowhere near a pound in the jug....9 oz as I recall.

stevemb

Hunter
Am liking TB for 44spec/44mag and my 480. I'd not throw out charge weights either, but not for the usual safety or liability reasons. TB is just different. You figure out whats needed, in your brass, with your bullet. Touching the bottom of the bullet, no air space, is max. You can download to 70% from what your max is. Stay safe folks.

Trail boss is great I use it in all my pistol ctgs and a lot of my big boys including my 45-120 sharps. Best part about using it in pistols is you can't double charge them.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I've been using it for my wife's flattop convertible, in both .45 Colt and ACP. It's pretty accurate in both and she really likes the mild recoil. I haven't seen any around here for a while either.