327 mag. &Bulls eye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Can't find data for 327 Federal Magnum, 98 gr. cast and Bullseye.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Bob

NikA

Buckeye
This .327FM load page is new, and doesn't seem to have many Alliant powders: http://www.reloadammo.com/327fed-mag.htm
However, you could work up loads from this .32H&R page pretty safely, as many of the same bullet weights and types are listed:
http://www.reloadammo.com/32hr-mag.htm
I've used data from the latter page (don't bother reloading .327 yet) and found it to be useful and accurate.

contender

Ruger Guru
I would contact Alliant for info. Bullseye is a very fast burning powder,,, and with a 327,,, I'd say it may not be the best choice. However,,,, you are using a cast bullet, and as such, it'll likely be a mild load anyway. But I'd let the makers tell me what they suggest.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
There is no such Bullseye data listed for the 327 in the NEW FREE Alliant manual. There is substantial data listed for such loads in the 32H&RMAG from which things can be easily extrapolated. BUT...this is not what the 327 is/was all about either.
And so it goes...

DGW1949

Hunter
Contender is telling you right.....Bullseye is a really hot powder, meaning that just little bit one way or the other can make a lot of difference. Plus, that "lot of difference" gets compounded as the cartridge case get's smaller....so no, Bullseye aint something that I'd use while venturing out on my own.

Just my .02

DGW

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
There is enough room in a .327 F.M. case to hold enough Bullseye to put pieces into orbit. Be very careful with such a combination.
You would be far better off with a powder like Trail Boss.

wobbly34b

Bearcat
I can go with another powder. I have some HS 6,Blue Dot, IM

I have some HS-6, Blue Dot, IMR 4227, H110, but I just have a lot more Bullseye than anything else. I was wanting to load these 98 gr. wad cutters to 800 to 900 fps. I always double check every case to make sure it does not have a double charge. I know that bullseye is one the fastest powders. I appreciate you guys concern for keeping everything safe.
Bob

contender

Ruger Guru
Bob,,,, certain calibers & brass work better with different powders than others. The 327 is similar to the 357 Maxi in how it's designed. They just kept stretching the chambers & lengthening the cases to give us a more powerful caliber.
Back before the 357 Maxi a lot of folks would shoot mild 38 spls in their 357's, using light target loads. A mild 38 spl case, loaded with around 3.5 grns of Bullseye, with a full wadcutter would work great, because it mostly filled the case capacity. But if still had a space gap inside. If you chose to use 357 brass & duplicate the load, the internal space was increased. While I never heard of anybody doing this with a 357 Maxi,,, it is a possibility. But back in the 70's while talking to serious competition shooters,,, I discovered that to get safe consistent loads was to use a "filler" on top of my powder when loading 38 spl target loads. And I was told to definitely use a filler if I used 357 mag cases. It was to reduce the internal space in the case.
Why?
Because a light charge of a fast burning powder like Bullseye would be spread along the sidewall of the case when being fired, & wouldn't be on top of the primer. The primer flash would ignite all across the powder, instead of just in one spot under it. It could create unsafe pressures due to the different burn rate of the internal combustion. (Think of it, you load the cases with powder while they are standing, mouth up. But once loaded, you are laying them sideways.)
So I used a polyester fiber fill material, made little wads of it, seated them over the powder while loading, and then seated bullets. I'd get very consistent reloads like that & never had any issues.
Now, you can use Bullseye in 32 Shorts, & Longs with those wadcutters, and shoot them in your 327 Mag handgun doing the same things. But to use 327 cases, and a light load of Bullseye,,, you could possibly be courting a potentially dangerous pressure spike.

gwpercle

Bearcat
A light charge Bullseye isn't going to blow up your gun. For decades I've loaded a 38 special case with 2.8 grains of Bullseye and a 148 grain or 160 grain wadcutter cast lead bullet. Classic NRA target load . Won a few trophies with it and have never seen any signs of excess pressure.

The 98 grain wadcutter, over 2.5 grains of Bullseye is where I would start.
There may not be enough pressure to expand and seal the magnum case to the chamber walls , this will blacken the outside of the case on the front , not dangerous just unsightly. I had blackened cases when light loading , 800 - 900 fps, cast bullet loads in a 41 magnum. Those magnum cases were tough.

Most people run into trouble because they get two charges in a case, of course they will never admit it and blame the "fast powder" detonating ...I don't buy into the detenation theroy.
Gary

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I'll politely disagree with gwpercle. I learned my loading method in the 70's,, and later on,, I found a reloading article in a magazine where the author had worked with a lab and had shown that this is possible. I had that article cut out & saved,,, but it's become lost in the maze of stuff I have/had. And when I studied explosives in the Army,,, burn rates of explosives are explained & how you can work with things to change burn rates. This was just another case of it in a different form.

Now I can agree with gwpercle in that it may not happen, or that many blown guns are the result of double charges. But,,, why risk a potential failure,,, or heck, just the simple erratic velocities that can be caused by such a light load with a larger air space.
There are reasons why powder manufacturers & reloading manuals do not have certain powders listed for use with certain calibers.

Rclark

Hunter
If Bullseye is 'safe' in the .32 H&R Mag, it will be safe in the .327. Not that much difference. I would start with the high end of Bullseye for the .32 H&R Mag (up to 21K pressure) which is still a 'light' load. The .327 is 45K so plenty of 'room'.

To me, the only reason they don't list Bullseye, is Bullseye won't get you to the 'potential' of the .327. Just like the .44Mag, or .357Mag loading guides don't list loads down in the .44Special and .38 special pressure ranges even though it is 'perfectly' safe to shoot a bullet at 600fps from either. Beauty of reloading is load up/down to where you want it to be!!! Just because it is called a 'Magnum' doesn't mean you 'must' load like one. In fact 'all' of my general purpose loads from .32 to .45 are all sub-sonic.

My 2 1/2 cents.

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the input guys. I shot 5 test loads over my chrono. today and they were all about 100 to 150 fps. faster than my 800 fps. goal. I tested Bullseye, Hs-6, Unique, Herco, and IMR 4227. I also checked my American Eagle 100 gr. jsp and surprisingly they clocked an average 1563 and they are advertised only 1500 fps on the box. Anyway I had a good time, this is the fun part of reloading.
I enjoy reading all of the posts.
Till later
Bob

wobbly34b

Bearcat
I agree with Rclark, since I quit shooting IHMSA back in 05 or 06 I have been downloading all of my magnum revolvers to 800 to 900 fps. They are much more pleasant to shoot.
I still load the Contender up though.
Have fun.
Bob

32magfan

Blackhawk
Bob,

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading 32's. I would also suggest the website "Reloading pages of M.D. Smith". He has 327 data that is pretty comprehensive. I also buy the Hodgdon Annual Manual from the magazine stands in January each year. Lots of good loads for 327 in that magazine.

I have had good luck with Clays powder 3.7gr behind a 115gr. RNFP bullet cast from Wheelweights. It does 1000fps in a 5.5" BlackHawk, 950fps in a 4" GP100 and around 875 to 900 in a 3" SP101. This is the max load so you might get 800 from a little lighter load.

3gr of Red Dot is good with the same bullet in 32H&R cases. Titegroup might be another powder to try for the moderate load you are seeking.

Another point on primers. I have not found a need for Magnum primers in the 32's. Loads are generally more consistent with standard primers, in my experience.

Good luck on your loading. Keep us updated on your results and shoot safely.

32Magfan