Another ammo container idea........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Loading up several hundred .45 Colt loads and needed some boxes to store them so came up on this idea. I can fit 75 loaded rounds of the 250 XTP back into the Hornady bullet boxes and the remaining 25 fit nicely in these lock top plastic boxes I pick up at the Dollar Store.
The lock top boxes make an excellent way to carry some rounds into the field or range!

stevemb

Hunter
I've never seen those type little lock boxes, can't remember last time in a dollar store type store. Thanks ! Other sizes ?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
When I buy bullets from Barry's they come in a plastic box and I have found those convenient for completed ammo. Mostly I use old factory ammo boxes with proper labels on them. I get flyers from places that sell plastic ammo boxes and I wonder why? :D

gwpercle

Bearcat
I like those little plastic boxes ...Who makes them and did you find them at the Dollar General Store ???? I want to use them to stack sized and lubed cast bullets in , those side latches look pefect !
Gary

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I guess I just fall into the group who buys plastic cartridge boxes that were meant to hold ammo. Every time I make an order from Midway or the like I add a few to include for free shipping. They stack and store neat and can be had in different colors to identify what they contain at a glance. I still double check though. Not good to go to the range with a .44 and find out you brought .41's.
I load Cas ammo 1-2K at a time and boxing them is slick with real ammo boxes. Some guys just throw them in a Coffee can !

Mus408

Hunter
I bought those about a year ago and now can't find them at the Dollar Tree store where I found them.
Glad I bought a several of them!
Checked the other Dollar type stores in our area and no luck on them.
Just my luck that when you find something that works well it's gone in a short time!

I have a couple of those Berry' Bullets containers around too.

Also I like those big glass jars with the screw on metal lids that Target sells...a deal at 5 bucks!
I use those to store my clean brass in.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have several of the plastic ammo boxes that are sized for specific ammo. They are nice. I find that I often just grab a heavy duty plastic bag out of the kitchen and use that. Easy to put ammo in fresh off the press, I can easily see what is in it through the bag. I can write on the bag with a Sharpie with powder info. Easy to get ammo out of the bag at the range, and then I have a handy dandy container to put caliber specific fired cases in. I hate loading empty cases back into the plastic ammo boxes. Much easier to just dump them in a plastic bag.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
Also I like those big glass jars with the screw on metal lids that Target sells...a deal at 5 bucks!
I use those to store my clean brass in.
I like those big plastic jugs that you get at wholesale clubs filled with pretzels and stuff for dirty brass and those medium size square ones make the best finished brass storage. :D

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Clovishound said:
I have several of the plastic ammo boxes that are sized for specific ammo. They are nice. I find that I often just grab a heavy duty plastic bag out of the kitchen and use that. Easy to put ammo in fresh off the press, I can easily see what is in it through the bag. I can write on the bag with a Sharpie with powder info. Easy to get ammo out of the bag at the range, and then I have a handy dandy container to put caliber specific fired cases in. I hate loading empty cases back into the plastic ammo boxes. Much easier to just dump them in a plastic bag.

I use Zip-lock bags to store small quantities of loads when working up loads to take to the range for testing. The slip of paper I place in those bags with load data gets notes about test results. Any loads that are outstanding will be retested in larger quantity later. Those loads will be placed in real plastic ammo boxes.

mikewriter

Blackhawk

I have started using empty plastic cigar tubes from Thompson Cigar that held cherry and vanilla flavored smokes for carrying my handgun ammo in the field. With .44 Special through .480 Ruger, I can get 3-4 reloads per tube, easy to get them out, easy to carry. Since I will be smoking a few cigars anyway, the tubes are pretty much free.

Mike

George

Blackhawk
Still trying to figure this out. Have some plastic boxes that I bought from Midway. I Like them a lot I still use a lot of Ziploc bags too.Also for us old people the large size Metamucil containers are wonderful. The advertising comes off and you're left with a white plastic container.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I've used a lot of zip locks, but the cigar tubes allow me to carry a number of rounds for "field use", and in several calibers if I need them. For home storage I use larger containers.

Mike

Kanook

Buckeye
Next time at the Pharmacy, ask them if they could spare some "empty prescription bottles in various sizes".

They are clear enough to see into, can be labeled with painter's tape, and are free.

I use them to store small parts in and take a couple to the gunshow incase I buy some small parts.

Store Doe pee cotton balls in them during hunting season

Carry/store extra ammo in them. (been using single shots lately, and keeps the ammo for my bangstick separate and dry during Gator season)

krw

Blackhawk
George said:
Still trying to figure this out. Have some plastic boxes that I bought from Midway. I Like them a lot I still use a lot of Ziploc bags too.Also for us old people the large size Metamucil containers are wonderful. The advertising comes off and you're left with a white plastic container.
You just gotta luv it!! :lol:

Mus408

Hunter
Come on now... some of us buy those ol' factory made bullets just for the neat plastic containers they come in and just throw those bullets away at a high rate of speed! :mrgreen:

Latest posts