Seating Berry's plated bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I have some .38 special brass and I want to load them with some 158 grain Berry's bullets. With plated bullets, how do I know how deep to seat them?

427mach1

Blackhawk
ditto1958 said:
I've got those dimensions. The problem is that most plated bullets, including these, have no cannelure.

Cannelure or no cannelure, you should still set the overall length (or COL) to match your manual. Not having a cannelure doesn't prevent you from setting overall length. It does, however, affect your ability to crimp. If you have your dies set up to crimp the mouth, you might want to back it off.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Yep, I just seat them to the same depth as 158 Grain jacketed bullets. Works just fine. I crimp lightly with the Lee Factory Crimp Die and they shoot great.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
If they are round nose plated bullets, I typically get the COL for round nose lead bullets for the same weight and seat to that depth.

38 SPL is a "forgiving" round to load for assuming you're loading charges that are within the parameters set forth in the loading manual.

bayou5252

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Next time order some Xtreme plated. You can get them with a canelure, and you can save some money.
I prefer to have a canelure when crimping revolver calibers. I have done it with plated without one, and it works fine, just feel better about crimping into the little ring. Probably a lot more forgiving as well.

Mus408

Hunter
I getting ready to do the same but decided to go with the Xterme bullets to start with.
Picked up a 100 125 gr. bullets at the local gun show for 11 bucks while waiting on the 500 pc. order to come from Xtreme.
Will be shooting these through my S&W 66 .357 and Ruger LCR .357 revolvers and wil load them over 5.8-6.0 gr. of Unique for plinking.
I do have a batch of .357 brass where I may load to lower level .357 Mag.

mikld

Blackhawk
No offence to the OP, but this is a reason why I don't recommend a plated bullet to a new reloader. "I can't find load data in my manual for XXX Plated bullets" and "How do I crimp my XXX Plated bullets?" has appeared in every forum I frequent many, many times. A seasoned reloader will be able to figger out charges (I always used lead bullet data) and what style bullet gets what crimp (semi-auto/smooth sided bullets = taper crimp. Revolver bullets/with cannalure or crimp groove = roll crimp). I had been reloading over 25 years before I tried plated bullets. Not enough easily found info for new reloaders to justify using plated bullets...

gwpercle

Bearcat
With plated , non cannelured , use a very light roll crimp (too much will buldge the case) or use a taper crimp. I use the taper crimp die from my 9mm Luger set to taper crimp those bullets in 38 special/357 magnum. Do not use a lot of taper crimp , you will size the bullet down and it will become loose.
Gary