Factory.45 colt loads?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bunyan

Bearcat
I'm the new owner of a NM Blackhawk in .45 colt and was wondering about factory loads. I need to get dies and start reloading, but in the mean time what are some good options in factory loads? I know there's the powder puff cowboy loads, and the heavy hitting stuff from places like buffalo bore. But are there any mid level loads available over the counter? I know the manufacturers are worried about liability issues in older guns but I'd like to find a load I can try that would be around 800-900fps if possible. Do I have any options or am I stuck with cowboy loads till I can start reloading? Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
There are some specialty companies like "Buffalo Bore" or "Cor-Bon" that offer a heavier load for the 45 Colt.
I tend to really enjoy Cor-Bon for good ammo like that when I buy any factory. Plus,,, they are supporters of some shooting charities I support.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Top of SAAMI spec for the 45 colt. Not very cheap.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/154030/buffalo-bore-ammunition-45-colt-long-colt-255-grain-lead-keith-type-semi-wadcutter-gas-check-box-of-20

...or pick from all the others.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-21851%3FNo%3D0%26Np%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D48%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Grizzly has a wide variety of .45 Colt ammo that ranges in price and performance, mostly stuff in the 900 FPS to "hey, have fun shooting this".

bunyan

Bearcat
Thanks for the recommendations! I definitely hate spending the prices they're asking for factory .45 ammo but I suppose I can at least put the brass towards reloads. Once in geared up I'm not planning to buy .45 ammo if I don't have to!

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Check Walmart for Winchester PDX1 Defender. 225 grain hollowpoint at a written on the box 850 feet per second. Has been used to murder ballistic gelatin on Youtube.

G2

Hunter
I really don't know how people afford factory ammo in 45 colt, it ALL costs so much.

Do yourself a big favor and get your reloading set up going, mid range loads at 1/3 the cost of most factory ammo.

Sorry for the RANT, :roll:

bunyan

Bearcat
Just spent some time looking over ammo selection at the local gun shop. Talk about sticker shock!! I think ill end up saving my money for dies and brass! Im planning to shoot lead through my BH and want more than cowboy loads anyway. Thanks again!

Mus408

Hunter
I find that our local Cabela's is my best one stop shop for Colt .45 reload supplies..much more than my local gun shop! I check them out when I want something quickly.

lgriff1968

Bearcat
bunyan said:
I'm the new owner of a NM Blackhawk in .45 colt and was wondering about factory loads. I need to get dies and start reloading, but in the mean time what are some good options in factory loads? I know there's the powder puff cowboy loads, and the heavy hitting stuff from places like buffalo bore. But are there any mid level loads available over the counter? I know the manufacturers are worried about liability issues in older guns but I'd like to find a load I can try that would be around 800-900fps if possible. Do I have any options or am I stuck with cowboy loads till I can start reloading? Thanks!

I choose not to reload. These http://www.selwayarmory.com/hsm-45-long-colt-250-gr-round-nose-flat-point-cowboy-action-lead-box-of-50.html are what I shoot most of the time. HSM also has a "Bear Load" if you need something for hogs etc.. Although these are referred to as "Cowboy Loads", they are not a wimpy load.

Walstr

Bearcat
G2 said:
I really don't know how people afford factory ammo in 45 colt, it ALL costs so much.

Do yourself a big favor and get your reloading set up going, mid range loads at 1/3 the cost of most factory ammo.

Sorry for the RANT, :roll:
Even much less when ya cast your own. Scrounge wheel weights & a reload will cost ya $.06! I just cast 1023 216 gr .452's in 2hrs [with Lee 90697 6 cavity mold] not counting a little setup & tear down. Good times, good times.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The Win Super X is "normal" velocity, meaning nominal. 850-875, with RNFP bullet, in both 20 and 50rd boxes.