I need to know bullet weight I only have a oz scale

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
They are .45acp caliber lead cast SWC bullets 1 weights in ounces .46 The other one weights.48 The powder scale I have does not go up enough for me to measure the weight of the bullets So what am I looking at for a difference? does it make one?The .46 bullet Is of known weight on the box 200 Grain. Thanks! George

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Google is your friend.................but 1 ounce = 437.5 grains...............Soooo .46 Oz is 201gr and .48 is 210gr

Snake45

Hawkeye
George said:
They are .45acp caliber lead cast SWC bullets 1 weights in ounces .46 The other one weights.48 The powder scale I have does not go up enough for me to measure the weight of the bullets So what am I looking at for a difference? does it make one?The .46 bullet Is of known weight on the box 200 Grain. Thanks! George
A little quick 7th grade math puts the .48 bullet at @ 208 grains.

Not sure I've ever heard of a 208 grain .45 bullet. Maybe it's 210 or 215 grains, or supposed to be?

George

Blackhawk
Can I ignore the small difference in weight when loading as long as I don't load the maximum load in the 210 grain bullet? I'm going by Label on my box 200 grain SWC lead bullet data from Missouri bullet company. I can only assume that the variance in weight is within bullet tolerance for that company? I did find a label in that box .45 cal 200 grain SWC From National Bullet Co. Inc that was sent to me. I'm new at this is why I'm asking. Thanks! George

Snake45

Hawkeye
I think 10 grains would be a LOT of variance for a single type/lot of bullets.

As to whether it makes a difference to your exact load, I don't think we have enough information. But I can tell you that I used the same load--5.3 grains of WW231--behind 200, 215, and 230 grain lead bullets in .45ACP and never had any problems whatsoever. All three loads ran all of my .45 autoloaders just fine.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
George
7000 grains per pound. 7000 divided by 16 oz.=437.5 gr.
437.5 X .46 =201.25
437.5 X .48 = 210

wizofwas

Buckeye
Slenk, two different lots of cast bullets? If so, are the lengths of the bullets the same? If so, then it's just probably the composition of the bullets that make the weight difference, if so then load them the same. The little weight difference won't make much difference unless you're doing competition shooting. If there is a length difference, then seating them to the same OAL will decrease the space inside the shell, which will increase the pressure inside the case with the same amount of powder. As long as you're not loading max loads or near max loads with them, you'll be OK. I don't think that the length difference will be that much to even worry about with the exception of max loads of course.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
George said:
Slenk, Thank you for doing the math for me! Makes things much easer. So I'll load as if it's a 200 grain bullet? My thinking it would be safe. George

George
You are welcome on the math hope it helps.
You should be OK as long as you are not loading max loads. I have been handloading for over 50 years , and have not ran into an issue yet. But I don't push the envelope either. If you wanted to you could load the bullets a little long on seating depth. gives a little more margin, lowers the pressure a little.
Have a good day.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
BUY the correct handloading scale ! THEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE considering the price of eyeballs and fingers these days...
DO NOT assume anything.
PRECISENESS is the utmost virtue for handloading !
READ YOUR LOADING MANUALS.
And so it goes...

gunzo

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
BUY the correct handloading scale ! THEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE considering the price of eyeballs and fingers these days...
DO NOT assume anything.
PRECISENESS is the utmost virtue for handloading !
READ YOUR LOADING MANUALS.
And so it goes...

YES !

George

Blackhawk
The nose of both lots are the same from the flat nose to the shoulder on both. From the shoulder down to the start of the bullet past the lower side of the lube line the lighter bullet is a little longer " also the lighter and a little longer it has a 45deg cut to help in the start of the seating of the bullet where it sets in the cases".This bullet box I bought and is marked Missouri Bullet IDP #1 .452 Dim. 200 Grain Brinell 18 Atomized for major power factor . The shorter bullet a tad heaver. Being Marked National Bullet Co. Inc 200 grain .45 cal SWC the label was cut off and put into box to aid in shipping. The heaver bullet 0.640 long MINE. the lighter being 0.649long just got them . George

I think it's going to be just load the darn things.. But I did want to check.

Yes I'll be looking for a loading scale for bullets.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
SIR, the scale is for weighing propellent charges and in the setting of your powder measure precisely. The weighing of the projectiles hardly matters a damn in comparison.
And so it goes...