Questions for 22 Hornet guys...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BillyTee

Bearcat
I have a Martini cadet in.22 hornet with a 20" heavy barrel.
The Magic load for me is 10grains of w296
The bullet is the little 40 grain Speer sp
I use Winchester pistol primers .
2400 fps only but it will group 5 shots under an inch consistently .
I can head shoot rabbits out to 150 yds regularly with the above combo.

nhdon

Bearcat
little follow up on 22k hornet sbh in ss took it out to range today fired 45 grain bee hp with 11 gr lil gun avg speed 7.5 barrel 2172 rifle 2769

don k

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I second the CPC rework on a Ruger .22 Hornet. Didn't want to go the K route and before I sent it in, it shot patterns, not groups. Had both the bolt and chamber redone, plus some trigger work and a free float. With the Lil Gun, SP primer, 35 gr. V Max combo, it is a tack driver.

loaded round

Hunter
That's why I had my 77/22H rechambered for the K-Hornet after split cases after the 2nd reloading. My original chamber was in spec, head space correct, and I was not shooting hot loads. After rechambering, I easily get 5 or 6 relads out of these K-Hornet cases. For some strange my 1B with the standard Hornet chamber never had a problem with split cases using the same load. I have never attempted to anneal either case.

pruger45 said:
I anneal all my 22 Hornet brass and still get a few split cases. Nature of the beast.

pruger45

Blackhawk
I've had factory rounds split upon firing at times. Its very thin brass. I anneal all of mine after the first firing.

nhdon

Bearcat
I have two 22K Hornet rugers one the rifle im running a 003.5 shim between the bolt halves.
the other is a sbh converted by Dave Clements. As long as rounds and chambers are clean there are no extraction problems. I have high failure rate on fire forming (17%) but all the rounds where hot standard hornet which has been around awhile. After ff the rate is very low so low I have been lax in tracking it I have one goup of 37 which have reached 7 firing after fire forming. the same reamer was used in both guns Lil Gun at 12.5 gr behind 46 gr 218 bee gave 2350 out of 7.5 inch and about 600 fps more out of the rifle Face erosion started showing up so no LilGun for awhile. Don K