.45 Colt Handloading Guidance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
tinman said:
If I may jump in here.....anyone have any loads using Titegroup? :?:

I load a 260 grain round nose flat point hand-cast over 6 grains of Titegroup. Really close to the original black powder velocities, very accurate in all my Rugers as well as my Rossi '92, and economical to shoot with that low charge weight. I also load 5 grains under a 200 grain cast RNFP and it is a pleasant and accurate load, but shoots well below the sights on my Vaqueros. My Marlin 1894 Cowboy piles them on top of one another at fifty yards. Both bullets are cast from wheelweights and range scrap, lubed with soft lube (stick alox), and come from Lee moulds. No leading in any firearm from these loads.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
Shot a few - several, actually - rounds of my 300 gr hard cast with 7.5 grains of Titegroup today. Those I chronographed were showing a little above and a little below 900 fps. With that weight bullet, recoil was amazingly similar to a .44 mag with the same weight bullet at the same speed. Interestingly, though, the Blackhawk seemed to "kick" about the same as my .480 Ruger with a 410 grain hard cast at 1000 fps! Of course, the SBH is heavier, ported, and wears Hogue Tamer grips.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
tinman said:
If I may jump in here.....anyone have any loads using Titegroup? :?:

I use 6.0 gr. of Titegroup with an Oregon Trail 250 gr. RNFP for right around 800 fps. Nice accurate, easy shooting, practice load.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
That 260 gr cast with 7.8 gr of Unique that you mentioned is my go-to load for my two single actions (one Ruger NV and a Colt SAA). Both guns will do 2" or less at 25 yds when I do my part. I find that 0.454" dia. lead alloy bullets work best in my guns...no leading with a WW +2% tin alloy and 50-50 lube. I especially like Lyman's old copy of the 1873 military bullet (454190).

7.2 gr of Winchester 231 does as well with that bullet too, and chrono's at 854 fps.

As always, these are my loads, safe in my guns...you should consult a good manual and consider the pressure implications before attempting to duplicate them.

Best Regards Rod

Ducky2002

Bearcat
I have been reloading since 1960 (38 Spl to 44 Mag and 6.5x55 to 30-06) but only recently acquired my first 45 Colt (a S/S Redhawk). Question for the gurus: Will a S/S Redhawk SAFELY handle +P loads of 255 gr cast bullets?

BTW - Unique is as scarce as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ducky2002 said:
I have been reloading since 1960 (38 Spl to 44 Mag and 6.5x55 to 30-06) but only recently acquired my first 45 Colt (a S/S Redhawk). Question for the gurus: Will a S/S Redhawk SAFELY handle +P loads of 255 gr cast bullets?

BTW - Unique is as scarce as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.
The Redhawk is very sturdy and can withstand up to 'Ruger Only' loads and easily does the 45 colt+P commercial loads. :D

Short of a custom 5- shot revolver, I'd say the RedHawk is the strongest 45 Colt production model made. Now, don't go trying to load 454 Casull level rounds, but any reputable reloading data source with "Ruger Only Load" data is fair game.

Ducky2002

Bearcat
Penny (And others), thanks for the tip. If you can't trust H.P. White Labs, who can you trust.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Can't comment on the TB load, but your light to medium load with a 260 gr bullet and 7.8 gr. of Unique has been the go to load for .45 Colts for longer than I"ve been around (70 yo now). My own cast bullets come out 6-8 grains heavier than that and they work fine through all 3 of my .45's (two Rugers and a Gen 3 Colt SAA). My guns will put that combination into 2" gps at 25 yds all day long. I size mine to 0.453"-0.454" and get superb accuracy.

Just a heads up on Rugers. Some have small cylinder throats i.e. 0.450-0.451" and will not shoot lead alloy bullets with any great accuracy and usually with considerable leading in the barrel leade. The cure is to have them reamed out to a uniform 0.4525". I did it with both of mine (around $60 each) and it cut my groups in half. Jacketed bullets are not as picky as to throat diameter and you may have better luck with them.

HTH's Rod

I had very good results using the below data for the 260 grain cast, .452 bullet in my .45 Colt Flattop. The loads were accurate and with a very small amount of un-burned powder. I am wondering if this same loads would be safe to use with a 270 grain .452 cast hollow point.

1. 260 grain, .452 cast, Win. cases, CCI large pistol- 7.8 grains Unique

2. 260 grain, .452 cast, Win. cases, CCI large pistol-6 grains Trail Boss

Thank you.