Self made primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Interesting but seems like an awful lot of work. I have no shortage of primers, I buy in bulk to help cut the cost of the hazmat fee and store them in nice dry places (in several different areas of the shop in containers that are sealed but have blow out plugs in case of a mass detonation). I have primers that are over 20 years old and have never had any problems with them at all.

https://youtu.be/t_7LWCFH5Gc

mikld

Blackhawk
Yeah, there's a long tedious, thread/discussion about this video on another forum. Opinions run from "don't do it, you'll put your eye out!" to "I can't wait to try it". As long as primers are available I'll use commercial primers. In a SHTF scenerio, I have plenty primers in stock...
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=802749

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mikld said:
Yeah, there's a long tedious, thread/discussion about this video on another forum. Opinions run from "don't do it, you'll put your eye out!" to "I can't wait to try it". As long as primers are available I'll use commercial primers. In a SHTF scenerio, I have plenty primers in stock...
Reminds me of the threads for reloading 22 rimfire. ....why?? :?

NikA

Buckeye
Given the seriousness with which people discuss using different brands and standard versus magnum primers, I cannot see why anyone would be eager to pursue this without testing that far exceeds the average person's capability. Add that to the likelihood of the compounds involved be abrasive and/or corrosive and this sort of activity is a non-starter for me. I have looked into this type of thing before and there are companies that will sell the compounds necessary to mix priming compounds for centerfire primers and rimfire shells, but the only compounds safe enough for DOT transport and at-home handling are the ones that are corrosive salts used to prime ammunition in the early 20th century.

ETA: He doesn't even measure anything in the video! Who's to say what the strength of the created primer is and how it might affect the generated pressures?

mikld

Blackhawk
NikA said:
Given the seriousness with which people discuss using different brands and standard versus magnum primers, I cannot see why anyone would be eager to pursue this without testing that far exceeds the average person's capability. Add that to the likelihood of the compounds involved be abrasive and/or corrosive and this sort of activity is a non-starter for me. I have looked into this type of thing before and there are companies that will sell the compounds necessary to mix priming compounds for centerfire primers and rimfire shells, but the only compounds safe enough for DOT transport and at-home handling are the ones that are corrosive salts used to prime ammunition in the early 20th century.

ETA: He doesn't even measure anything in the video! Who's to say what the strength of the created primer is and how it might affect the generated pressures?

I don't think that folks, for the most part, are trying to find alternative priming methods or to replace store bought primers, but a type of "I wonder..." thinking, ie. curiosity. I cast my own bullets and have good recipes for lubes, but I have often "I wonder if ____ will work". Same type of thinking with numerous components and/or aspects of reloading. The other thinking is the "dreaded" in case of a SHTF situation. When all supplies are gone and I'm hiding with my family in a cave in the middle of nowhere, I can scrape match heads so I can reload. Perhaps these examples make no sense to some, and I may not agree, they are valid thinking...

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It can be done,like many things. I have better things to spend my time doing besides trying to blow my head off messing around with explosive compounds.

I read about the old DuPont powder mill in New York in the early 1800's. That black powder mill had blown up so many times that they only drove the nails half way through the siding boards so they would not split when it blew the next time !!!
That must have been an exciting place to work!

DGW1949

Hunter
Me thinks that if things ever get to the point that knowing how to make a primer becomes a viable skill, we're already going to be in a much bigger mess than a few home made primers can get us out of.

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Me thinks that if things ever get to the point that knowing how to make a primer becomes a viable skill, we're already going to be in a much bigger mess than a few home made primers can get us out of.

DGW
I made a small cannon when I was a kid out of a pipe, a marble and a bunch of match heads. It made a hole in a junk car door that was in our lot out back. I also blew up several things. If I did that now I would probably be charged with making a bomb or something and loose all my gun rights. Being a responsible ammo reloader has made me the most toe-the-line explosives safety person that I know of. :D

Precision32

Blackhawk
Wait till the government bans primers to reloaders. What are you going to do? Trouble is finding strike anywhere matches. The government is tightening up on anything that can be used to make munitions.

As Jimbo relates, as kids we blew up just about anything that would hold still. We made our own BP and fuse from stuff we'd buy at the local pharmacy. It's fun to play with household chemicals.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
If things are bad enough and I run out of smokeless powder, brass cases, primers, I can make my own black powder and go flintlock, not the best but it still works and goes bang. Pain in A though.