Change in Hornaday 45 XTP pistol Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
I have a 1911 with a 460 Rowland kit on it and I reload XTP's 185 and 230 grain bullets in it. I got some new XTP bullets this weekend and Hornady has changed the taper in the nose of the bullet making it to long to work properly in the 460 Rowland. Why in the heck would they make a change to something that didn't need any change. Has anyone noticed this? This won't affect the 45 ACP loading but it screwed me on the 460.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Looks like they've changed it to the same shape as the FTX/Critical Duty bullets. Just without the polymer. I'd guess to save on production costs, and probably didn't realize it would cause problems for reloaders in some guns.

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
Hornady told me they changed the nose design on the 45 XTP's to accommodate a change in the feed ramp in Glock pistols. They no longer make any of the old style bullets that will work in the 460.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I'd stock up on as many of the old style as you can find, if you're stuck on the XTP.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Crazy Horse said:
Hornady told me they changed the nose design on the 45 XTP's to accommodate a change in the feed ramp in Glock pistols. They no longer make any of the old style bullets that will work in the 460.

Did they say if this change was made across all calibers of XTP bullets including factory ammo? And will this effect the ballistics of the XTP if so?

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I sure hope they don't get a wild hair and decide to do the same to the .357 and .44 bullets. I don't load many jacketed bullets, but when I do they're XTP's .... for now....

jd

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Crazy Horse said:

Did they say if this change was made across all calibers of XTP bullets including factory ammo? And will this effect the ballistics of the XTP if so?

I should have asked more questions. I just asked about the 45's.

Latest posts