Ruger PolyCase ammo.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I see the testers who have shot some of this report that the ammo "pulverizes" on contact with a hard target. What happens if the bad guy gets a round in belly, falls over and gets hauled off to the emergency room where they save his life. Does he now have an intestine full of polymer and copper particles, maybe one of them just waiting to migrate to his heart/brain and cause a stroke/heart attack so the good guy gets sued for a gazillion dollars?

Curious how all the other personal defense ammo makers like to show off what their bullets look like after going thru a block of gel. PolyCase seems quite mum on the issue. I think the terminal performance of this stuff will keep it from becoming mainstream. Maybe good for military but no go for L/E or homeowners.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I had to do a search and some research to find out about this stuff. The tracers sound interesting. I wonder what the range officer will think about those? Anybody shoot any of this stuff yet? Should give Wolfsong and 6gun more to say about "you don't need the latest designer ammo". :wink:

http://www.polycaseammo.com/home

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Lead is well studied, and proven to work well. That's no big secret.

My experience with "lead free" ammo so far has only been with shotshells, where I've found the affordable substitutes to be rather deficient in comparison with lead, at least performance wise. As such, I won't say outright "Who needs designer ammo?" but will admit a fair degree of skepticism about how well it will work in the field, remembering that ballistic gelatin doesn't get back up from a non-lethal hit and fight back like drugged up BGs sometimes do. So for now my fall back for this stuff shall remain "Time will tell."

Rick C

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
stevemb said:
Sounds more like training, practice ammo.
The grooves in the bullet are to allow the bullet to worm it's way into and break and tumble inside a victim. Definitely self-defense ammo. The round-nose bullets maybe not. :D

What gets me is the case is not brass. :D
quote>
POLYMER CASE: Patent-pending polymer cartridge cases, a technology whose time has come. Lighter weight, same performance.
PATENT PENDING: Polymer cartridge case technology and revolutionary RNP™ projectiles.<end quote

http://www.polycaseammo.com/project/polycase-arx

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Polycase versus jello at youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=polycase+

DGW1949

Hunter
I've seen a lot of "magic" pistol ammo come 'n go over the years, some of which was suppossed to behaive in the same manner which Ruger's new offering is suppossed to behaive....the key phrase there being "suppossed to".

Me thinks that Col. Cooper perty-much nailed it when he said that if "magic bullet" claims are to be believed in regards to such ammo transforming a sub-caliber sidearm into a man stopper, then we should be able to load a similar bullet into a .45ACP and hunt elephants.

But hey....it's your butt on the line, so it's your choice. As for me though, I'll just stick with what I know works.

....just sayin'.

DGW

rdn

Bearcat
i am curious to know if ruger plans to produce the polycase ammo in .22lr? it may be a good field test to see the results on varmits & such.

rdn

Bearcat
i am aware that ruger does not produce the ammo but leigh is manufacturing thr poly case ammo thru rugers license as i understand it.

dleong

Bearcat
The product literature (and the asymmetric arrangement of the grooves) seems to indicate that the projectile achieves its "maximum hydraulic displacement" when fired out of a barrel with a right-hand twist.

So what happens when I shoot it out of a 1911, with a left-hand twist barrel?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I've read many posts in other forums, watched video's, read magazine reviews, and the manufacture's propaganda. I'm not impressed. Especially not at over a $1/shot for 9mm. :roll:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You have to figure that the higher the price goes for brass and lead and the cheaper the production costs for PolyCase ammo gets the more market share they are going to get. :D

Zorba

Bearcat
I'd like to try it, what the hey - but it seems to be vaporware, at least at the moment.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Zorba said:
I'd like to try it, what the hey - but it seems to be vaporware, at least at the moment.

You can buy it now at many gunshops under the PolyCase label. See this: http://www.polycaseammo.com/where-to-buy

Latest posts