Chronometer Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack

Single-Sixer
I'm getting the fever for a chrono. Looking for comments from owners'. What would you buy or "not buy"? :?:

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
F-1 also, bought in June 1998.
I would suggest getting the F-1 Master. That way the remote monitor can be placed at the shooting bench.
And I prefer keeping my own notes.

mswill

Bearcat
Don't have a chrono myself, but have been intrigued with this one for the simplicity. Would need to see some owner reviews though.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

dougader

Hunter
My F1 Chrony finally gave up the ghost after about 25 years. I think I paid $35 or $39 for mine at a gun show.

I'm looking to trade this one in on a better model, our maybe look at the Caldwell.

Rclark

Hunter
F1 here. Just keeps on working... when I need it. Nothing fancy or wiz-bang... Just gives me the velocity like a chrony should.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm with Wil Terry, I own an Ohler, and I've had a Chrony. I sold the Chrony quickly. I've had my Ohler for a long time & it's a fine machine.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Soon I need to get a "round tuit" and buy the remote for my F-1 I guess. I use mine on a tripod immediately in front of the bench for readings 3' from the muzzle for handgun loads. Over the years, the readout has become so lube spattered from cast bullets that it has become hard to see! Not to mention pockmarked from unburnt powder.A few years ago I had a brainfart of genius and began putting a strip of scotch tape over the screen before a session, but I'm afraid I was a dollar short and a day late with that practice...

I suppose that I am torture testing my old F-1 every time I use it by running it so close to the muzzle when you think of the thousands of concussions it has withstood, but it takes it in stride. For awhile I used it for clocking my high intensity rifle loads at 3' too but had to settle on 6' for that testing...I kept knocking the whole rig over from the muzzleblast! :shock:

Would I buy another F-1? What do you think... 8)

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
mine is the F1 with the remote, and it is handy being able to control and see the display. Only been using it for a bit over a year, but I suppose I've experienced most of the typical anomalies of sky screen issues on cloudy/dusky days and muzzle blast distortions, but those are probably plagues that most "hobby type" chrono's will suffer from.

jd

Rclark

Hunter
. I use mine on a tripod immediately in front of the bench for readings 3' from the muzzle for handgun loads
I get mine out to three steps (about 9-10 feet) in front of the muzzle. My LCD is still nice and clean and most times perfectly readable from that distance.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have this one with no complaints, you can also add a remote if you want.
Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

jack

Single-Sixer
I was reading on the web that some folks make a "shield" of some sort to protect the chrono from lead and lube being expelled from the muzzle. Particularly on snubs .... I would be testing my sp101-2 quite a bit. Anyone here do this?

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
jack said:
I was reading on the web that some folks make a "shield" of some sort to protect the chrono from lead and lube being expelled from the muzzle. Particularly on snubs .... I would be testing my sp101-2 quite a bit. Anyone here do this?

I made one from an 1/8" clear acrylic sheet. Used a heat gun to form the edges. I was worried about the chronograph being damaged with muzzle loader powders.

The covering did not appear to affect the chronograph negatively.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My "scotch tape over the readout method" works quite well. Simply peel off the tape after each use...

I kinda get a kick out of the battle scarred appearance of mine... 8)

Then again, I may be a little warped... :lol:

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
jack said:
My "shield" is made of two pieces of channel iron tough enough to withstand a slanting hit from a 500 S&W. One is inclined in front of the sensor unit to protect the front of the device and the other rides between the two sensors.

The iron cost almost as much as the chronograph, but is good insurance.

By the way, a chronometer is a supremely accurate timepiece (first invented to enable the determination of longitude at sea). A chronograph is used to find the velocity of objects (bullets, arrows, paintballs, etc.).

protoolman

Service-Sixer
old f1 user here. Brother and I bought it years ago on shares to test our handloads. Still going strong.