Laser Cast

Help Support Ruger Forum:

goose

Bearcat
I picked up 500 240 grain semi wadcutters in 44 magnum for 64.00 bucks which I thought was a good deal. I loaded a few with 6.4 grains of bullseye to see how they shoot. What other loads do you guys use for the same bullet? I prefer to make them a little on the "warm" side. Thanks.....goose

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Assume you are talking about the 44 magnum? Those bullets are pretty hard. When I shot them I used a good load of Blue Dot (13.0gr) or Universal (9.4gr) and I got leading anyway. But they were accurate.

Chief 101

Hunter
I have used Lazercast in 38 special and 44 Mag with light Bullseye sized loads with no leading problems...I also use a good dose of 2400 powder in 44 mag with the same bullet as you have with good results. I think you just make some loads from trustworthy published data and find out what works for you...The only data I have for hardcast bullets and 44 Mag show Bullseye loads lower than your 6.4 gr. In my old Lyman #45 it shows 4.0 as min and 6.0 as max. When I use Bullseye powder I usually load as close to minimum as possible. If you want hot loads I would use a more appropriate powder such as Unique,2400, 4227 or any of a number of slower pistol powders that you will find in good published data. 6.4 of Bullseye is a hot load and is not the powder to use for hot loads...good luck

6gun

Hunter
I tried some of those in my 44 mag loaded with Trail Boss and they were very accurate bullets I really like them.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Assume you are talking about the 44 magnum? Those bullets are pretty hard. When I shot them I used a good load of Blue Dot (13.0gr) or Universal (9.4gr) and I got leading anyway. But they were accurate.

13.0 grs of Blue Dot under a 240 gr cast bullet isn't even at the level of a STARTING load for a .44 mag..

I'm not surprised you got leading, not much obturation going on here! :lol:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
13.0 grs of Blue Dot under a 240 gr cast bullet isn't even at the level of a STARTING load for a .44 mag..

I'm not surprised you got leading, not much obturation going on here! :lol:
13.7gr is a max load for Blue Dot with a 240gr Speer GDHP. Lead bullets can run higher or lower depending on bullet construction, size, lube and hardness. Pray tell where are you getting your load info? I have seen Blue Dot loads up to 16.6gr with a hard cast lead bullets but I'm not shooting those or recomending those as they are right on the edge. Instead I'll be shooting 13.0gr and with most any kind of bullet, especially copper plated ones, at around 1100fps and enjoying them. They are not all that light. But you are right. That is probably why I got leading with them. I really don't like to push them to the max. They are just that hard. :D

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Bucks Owin

Hunter
BTW EGO357:

SPEER manual number 10.

7.5" Ruger SBH
CCI-350 mag primer
Speer cases

240 gr SP, HP and Magnum SP:
BLUE DOT POWDER

16.2 grs=1315 fps

17.2 grs (max)=1373 fps :shock:

:wink:

6gun

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:

They didn't seem all that hard to me, they do have silver ore in them so they are different than other lead bullets, their site states no leading, I didn't have any.
http://oregontrailbullet.com/about-laser-cast/

If you want softer lead try Desperado bullets, they are very accurate leave no leading and use soft lube http://www.cowboybullets.com/ I like these real well also.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Something to remember about buying cast bullets online is that some of them are optimized for shipping not necessarily for shooting. Same with the lube. Hard bullets and lube ship well...savvy? :wink:

There is rarely any need to go north of 16 BHN in magnum handguns if they fit the gun's dimensions, have a quality lube and powder selection is geared to the intended velocity.

There are a few exceptions ie full tilt .454 Casull...

Two centavos...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bucks "a little on the warm side" means to me around 1100 - 1200 fps. What you are showing are probably over 35000 psi and around 1300 - 1500fps and not what I would call friendly and as noted one load was for SIL. As mentioned light loads of Blue Dot can leave some unburned kernals but you won't see any at 13.0gr with a 240gr bullet. It burns clean at that pressure. I shoot that load a lot. A whole lot. Like 2 weekends a month.

btw you can knock off the stupid pm's Bucks. :(

Goose you could also consider Unique powder instead of Universal. A good load for Unique would be 8.0 - 10.0gr. with those 240gr lead bullets. :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Good post 57K... :wink:

While goose didn't specify what constitutes "warm side", I kinda assume that means "near full tilt". Perhaps I'm wrong... :?

At any rate, overly hard bullets have discouraged many from the joy of shooting cast bullets and "some" people mistakenly believe that leading is reduced by harder bullets. That can actually make leading worse...

57K you obviously have a good grip on the relationship between BHN and powder rise time/pressure curve... :wink:

Oh and goose, if indeed you are looking for horsepower from those 240 gr, I would reach for the W296/H110... 8)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
57K and Bucks, you guys are suggesting the OP go from one extreme with the Bullseye (900fps) to the other (12000+fps) with slower powders. I am saying a middle ground might be more appropriate. The loads I have suggested with Blue Dot, Universal and Unique are good with normal lead bullets and probably alright with the Lazercast ones as well. :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
57K and Bucks, you guys are suggesting the OP go from one extreme with the Bullseye (900fps) to the other (12000+fps) with slower powders. I am saying a middle ground might be more appropriate. The loads I have suggested with Blue Dot, Universal and Unique are good with normal lead bullets and probably alright with the Lazercast ones as well. :D

Yeah..."probably"...with "normal" cast bullets.

But I'm more interested in how to achieve "12,000+ fps"!!! :shock: :lol:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
After this little debate about which powder is better with which boolits etc. I hope our new guy Goose isn't afraid to come back and let us know a few more details on his loading and shooting. We welcome all questions and comments ...right? :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Agree and as soon as I use up my Blue Dot I will be looking to see if True Blue or AA#7 is available. Time for me to make a change (upgrade). Try telling that to the folks that have been using Unique for decades. They ain't too responsive to change. :D :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
57K said:
...in my tests using a 2 3/4" Speed-Six in .357 Magnum, 10.1 grs. of True Blue gave 1278 FPS using the REM 125 gr. SJHP with about the lowest muzzle flash I've seen from a barrel of any length, let alone 3" or shorter. The chrono'd group was 12 rounds where SD was 13. Pretty impressive but I feel sure that working up closer to Lyman's Max charge of 10.5 grs., 12 rounds would produce a SD less than 10. Western's data goes one full grain higher than Lyman's. IMO, the Lyman data is warm enough and from 4" or 6" barrels, velocity should be very close to factory loads. It is my chosen defense load powder for short barreled .357 Magnums. :wink:
I am going to assume it was ok as far as forcing cone erosion goes? I just freak out a little with light bullets near max loads. :shock:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
57K said:
This just doesn't jibe and I've mentioned this to Western. 2 different pressure testing systems, but a load near Max in CUP should also be close to Max in PSI, just with a slightly lower number than 35,000. :wink:
Interesting side note. :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
57K said:
I am going to assume it was ok as far as forcing cone erosion goes? I just freak out a little with light bullets near max loads. :shock:

Gee, I would think someone with "357" as a moniker would be aware of the reputation of a full tilt 125 gr bullet as a defense round...(But I too limit their use in my M19-4 :wink: )

57K it sounds like TB could pinch hit for another of my favorites which I'm having trouble finding these days, HS-6. Of course I'd also have to find some TB first! :x
Good info though, many thanks amigo... 8)