Reloading Barnes All-Copper in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doc540

Single-Sixer
9mm 115gr Barnes all-copper TAC-XP

CFE pistol powder

once-fired Win and RP brass
Winchester SPP's
1.127" OAL (same as Barnes and CorBon factory loads)

1978 Colt Combat Commander 9mm w/custom bull barrel

b8d3cb90-7671-48b5-8459-ad72093fa2b1_zps4654c63c.jpg

f77db022-3760-4931-bb7e-2c7ad1dd7837_zps336361b5.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
'most consistent' I agree this time but you have to do it many times for that to become definite. ...or do some double blind testing where your shooting ability doesn't influence the testing of loads. :D :D

doc540

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
'most consistent' I agree this time but you have to do it many times for that to become definite. ...or do some double blind testing where your shooting ability doesn't influence the testing of loads. :D :D

Correct, I should have been more clear.

The "velocities" were the most consistent when averaged.

Having said that, 5.9 is too hot.

5.0 -5.3 duplicate the Barnes and CorBon factory loads.

doc540

Single-Sixer
Since the Barnes factory TAC-XP 115gr 9mm loads are 1150fps, I went with 4.8gr of CFE powder.

That should be a close enough match without wasting powder and pounding my Commander.

Will clock them soon.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
doc540 said:
Since the Barnes factory TAC-XP 115gr 9mm loads are 1150fps, I went with 4.8gr of CFE powder.

That should be a close enough match without wasting powder and pounding my Commander.

Will clock them soon.

doc, are your original velocities estimated?
I've run a fair share of CFE Pistol powder over the past few months (5#'s) under mostly 124gr FMJ bullets and your numbers/weights don't match up to any listed data for that powder and a 115gr bullet. I'm using slightly over 5 gr of it for a Montana Gold 124gr FMJ to get 1115 fps.
I almost always find that 9mm will run more accurately at the upper reaches of load data out there. So your accuracy findings with a 5.9 gr load actually makes more sense with an 115gr bullet with an new estimated velocity somewhere around 1250 fps. I guess I'm confused, sorry.

doc540

Single-Sixer
clarification: 5.9 "consistency" was velocity, not accuracy. I didn't shoot from a rest, just standing offhand, so any of those other groups could have been tighter (but not higher). I used the CT laser on my Commander for a late afternoon aim, and it's on at 15yds, an inch or so low at 7yds.

The Barnes bullets are 115gr, light, but very long and create a large bearing surface. Barnes told me they have a similar bearing surface as 124gr and create higher pressures than other 115gr bullets.

I clocked both Barnes and CorBon factory loads as my benchmark.

Both ran just under 1200fps out of the Commander.

Hope that helps.

And thanks for the discussion, I'm learning as I go.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
doc540 said:
clarification: 5.9 "consistency" was velocity, not accuracy. I didn't shoot from a rest, just standing offhand, so any of those other groups could have been tighter (but not higher). I used the CT laser on my Commander for a late afternoon aim, and it's on at 15yds, an inch or so low at 7yds.

The Barnes bullets are 115gr, light, but very long and create a large bearing surface. Barnes told me they have a similar bearing surface as 124gr and create higher pressures than other 115gr bullets.

Hope that helps.

I looked at your results and did a quick comparison and that is when I started questioning what I was reading to what numbers came out of my head.

Consistent and tight deviations in velocity normally equate to better accuracy in a given load, even with handguns and it seems to be really true with 9mm. Just my findings over the years. I did some further equations and found that your numbers are more in line with mine than I originally thought.

Actually, my Montana Gold 124gr bullets have a large bearing surface for a FMJ shaped bullet. If you want to find a 9mm bullet with an extreme amount of surface area I would look at Berry's HBRN (Hollow Base, Round Nose) 124gr and 115gr bullets and the cost will be much lower than your all copper bullets that you are loading here. Good luck.

doc540

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
doc540 said:

Hope that helps.

I looked at your results and did a quick comparison and that is when I started questioning what I was reading to what numbers came out of my head.

Consistent and tight deviations in velocity normally equate to better accuracy in a given load, even with handguns and it seems to be really true with 9mm. Just my findings over the years. I did some further equations and found that your numbers are more in line with mine than I originally thought.

Actually, my Montana Gold 124gr bullets have a large bearing surface for a FMJ shaped bullet. If you want to find a 9mm bullet with an extreme amount of surface area I would look at Berry's HBRN (Hollow Base, Round Nose) 124gr and 115gr bullets and the cost will be much lower than your all copper bullets that you are loading here. Good luck.

Good info, thanks.

I'm loading these for PD.

Other than PD, I'm loading 115gr FalCoated in all my pistol calibers.

Very accurate, super clean, great company to do business with.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
doc540 said:
That's something we can all learn from when loading longer all-copper bullets. Bearing surface makes a difference in pressure. :D