Thoughts on PPU ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pawncop

Blackhawk
Local WallyWorld has PPU 380 ACP at $16.00/box. Manufactured in Serbia. 94 grain FMJ

Did one search and found mostly good comments.

Thought I would check in here to see if anyone has anything to say.

Looked back a couple of pages and did not see any threads.

Any comments good or bad?

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
I've ran several boxes of 380 through my LCP and Bersa and reloaded it with no issues.

I've also shot quite a bit of the PPU in 7.62x54R works good and accurate. Only issue was the neck has a tendency to collapse when resizing and seating the bullet unlike my other rifes.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz said:
PPU is fine ammunition, it is made by absolute jerk wad Serbian scum. I wouldn't buy it for a penny.

Hi,

Whoa, Cheese, did someone knock over your first cold one of the weekend there?

I've used their rifle brass and bullets in several calibers, which IME have performed as well as Rem-Win stuff of late, with the added plus that they seem to be available more often! They also make a lot of the weird and wonderful milsurp caliber brass others don't.

Haven't used any of their loaded ammo, but fellow member gatling has, in 7.62x54R. He found it rather hot and experienced some case splits in a rifle that's not given him any troubles before with either milsurp ammo or his own handloads. I don't have his email describing the situation handy, but I know he pulled some of the stuff down, cut the powder charge some and reassembled it before our last "Mosin Get Together." He should be returning home from his trip to Turkey soon, so maybe he'll check in and tell the story of what he found.

Other than that one experience, I've heard no negative reports.

Rick C

Jim Puke

Hunter
We have shot some of the rifle ammo and it shot GREAT.

My son set one of his hunting rifles with it and right before we left the range he dialed the distance in at 300yds and put 2rds practically touching on the target at 300. I was going to post the pic of the target, but I couldn't get it to go through from my phone to photobucket. I will try again later and post the pic. At any rate, it was lights-out accurate in his rifle...but it is HOT as Rick posted of his friends experience...although, it showed no signs of over pressure in Christopher's rifle.

Got it...finally.
0920131900950001950001_zps10a8b18c.jpg

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Cheesewhiz said:
PPU is fine ammunition, it is made by absolute jerk wad Serbian scum. I wouldn't buy it for a penny.

Hi,

Whoa, Cheese, did someone knock over your first cold one of the weekend there?

I've used their rifle brass and bullets in several calibers, which IME have performed as well as Rem-Win stuff of late, with the added plus that they seem to be available more often! They also make a lot of the weird and wonderful milsurp caliber brass others don't.

Haven't used any of their loaded ammo, but fellow member gatling has, in 7.62x54R. He found it rather hot and experienced some case splits in a rifle that's not given him any troubles before with either milsurp ammo or his own handloads. I don't have his email describing the situation handy, but I know he pulled some of the stuff down, cut the powder charge some and reassembled it before our last "Mosin Get Together." He should be returning home from his trip to Turkey soon, so maybe he'll check in and tell the story of what he found.

Other than that one experience, I've heard no negative reports.

Rick C

No Rick, no spilled beer :D

I have the right to hate these Serbians with all my heart. They make fine ammo and used it on civilians in a disgusting and sickening manner.... and when they went up against real soldiers, they threw down their weapons and ran. Ever see the pictures of their prision camps that housed Croats and Bosnians, straight from Nazi concentration camps. They are now volunteering to be Russian proxies doing the same to Ukrainians. Fine bunch of lads.

wizofwas

Buckeye
Personally, I won't buy the stuff. I don't trust the QC and have read that some of the ammo can run hot. Also, they don't always stick to SAMMI specs. On the other hand, I have a friend that buys all of the cheap stuff that he can and shoots it with no problems. He loves the ammo. The usual disclaimer, YMMV.

I use the .223 match 69 BTHP and it shoots quite well but don't expect expansion if used for longer ranges(match bullets aren't recommended for hunting anyway). The 7.62x39 round nose soft point works fine in a Remington 799, is accurate enough for short range deer, is a fairly HOT load, and seemed to be average for expansion/penetration based on a single deer kill.
I don't give a hoot about European politics and suspect the UN could have settled things much quicker if they'd have be more proactive.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
I have ran it in .380 and .45acp it works when I can't fined better ammo.

wunbe

Buckeye
Has anyone used the PPU Match ammo in 120 gr 6.5 Swede? It ought to work fine on our small Eastern whitetails....

Cheese,

A little history is in order. The Bosnians and the Croats who truly suffered under Serb madmen recently were also allied to Hitler during WWII and the Serbs then were their victims in the thousands. The wheel of time just switched the roles around in this era. It will keep on turning; they even have ready-made wisdom on the point in the saying "Ja tebi, ti meni." I do you, you do me.

Looking for generic groups of good and bad guys there is a mugs game. It is just a matter of cycles of depravity. Blood washes blood and the only ethnic group with clean hands are the dead and, then. only if you don't look to close or the victims were too young to play their role in the cycle.

wunbe

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
wunbe said:
Cheese,

A little history is in order. The Bosnians and the Croats who truly suffered under Serb madmen recently were also allied to Hitler during WWII and the Serbs then were their victims in the thousands. The wheel of time just switched the roles around in this era. It will keep on turning; they even have ready-made wisdom on the point in the saying "Ja tebi, ti meni." I do you, you do me.

Looking for generic groups of good and bad guys there is a mugs game. It is just a matter of cycles of depravity. Blood washes blood and the only ethnic group with clean hands are the dead and, then. only if you don't look to close or the victims were too young to play their role in the cycle.

wunbe

Sorry but I know the history all too well and I know my fair share of Serbian sayings and words. One of them is 'inat', spiteful pride, a celebration of hatred.

WWIII will not be started by muslims, it will be started by Slavs.

wunbe

Buckeye
Cheese,

So... the acts of the Ustahe (Jasenovac) and the Grand Mufti who helped launch the all Muslim SS Handzar Division do not count?

wunbe

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
wunbe said:
Cheese,

So... the acts of the Ustahe (Jasenovac) and the Grand Mufti who helped launch the all Muslim SS Handzar Division do not count?

wunbe

inat, inat, inat.

Justification of terrible crimes against humanity based on something done in the past. There's a reason hundreds of Serbians have been found guilty of war crimes and many others are being hunted down and put on trial to this very day. I would like anyone to just look up what the Serbian "Tigers" did to Muslim and Croat women and their babies in hospitals in Sarajevo when they went on their rampage. It makes ISIS look like Sesame Street.

Flash

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz said:
wunbe said:
Cheese,

wunbe

inat, inat, inat.

Justification of terrible crimes against humanity based on something done in the past. There's a reason hundreds of Serbians have been found guilty of war crimes and many others are being hunted down and put on trial to this very day. I would like anyone to just look up what the Serbian "Tigers" did to Muslim and Croat women and their babies in hospitals in Sarajevo when they went on their rampage. It makes ISIS look like Sesame Street.
Look up what the US Calvary did to the American Indian. PPU 22 Hornet brass is top shelf. It weighs around 53 grains per case empty, where Remingtons are down around 45 grains.

wunbe

Buckeye
You are free style interpretting inat to mean anything you want. And your attitude is a mirror image of the inat you choose to stress. It lays the groundwork of the next round of 'ja tebi, ti meni' -- with your victims becoming the next victimizers..... ad naseum.

wunbe