Revolver Shotshells

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbass

Single-Sixer
I was wanting to make some snakeshot for my woods walks and have a 357 and 44. I know Speer makes a capsule but I can't get any. Do any of you have a way to make them from scratch. I've got Unique, 2400, and 231. I have a jar full of #9 shot.

Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Your favorite powder, (Unique is good,) a mid-range amount, cut cardboard wads, push them flat on top of the powder, fill to near the top of the case with #9, then add a second wad. Roll a crimp over the wad. Some folks add wax from a candle over all that.

32shooter

Blackhawk
cbass, I have a few boxes of the Speers for .357. PM me your address and I will get a box of them out to you if you want them.

stevemb

Hunter
I've a varmint load for the .44spec's. I use a Matt's Bullets 135gr bullet thats kinda a round ball with a flat base added. Uses up minimal case volume and gives me a load that's more than a warning shot when confronted by larger varmints. I use 6grs of Unique and a "wad" cut from a one gallon milk jug to keep the powder from migrating into the shot. Then 70grs of 9 shot fits between powder and bullet. This load needs some tweeking yet, but safe. Think I'll try squeezing in a bit more shot. The load does shoot low when used past snake just off boot toe range. My original concern was commiting to having my first shot being only a warning load on varmints bigger'n snake/bat/rat size. YMMV.

Chief 101

Hunter
instead of using cardboard, use gas checks...I have the capsules but not used them...they should hold lots more shot.

REB

Single-Sixer
I load mine similar to contender. 5.5g Universal with 103g of #8 shot. I make the wads out of thin gasket material and put Elmer's glue all on top of the top wad. I have tried the shot capsules but I can get more shot without them. You will get some leading if you shoot very many of them.