RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:26 pm 
Buckeye

For a few years I worked on a state wildlife area. Wild dogs and cats were shot. Same old problem, yes it's people, people who bring them from the city and toss them out the window. The shot dogs were so because they attacked people, most dogs found would want to be saved and were.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 pm 
Blackhawk

My main point is that just because you see an animal,,, be it cat, dog, bobcat, snake or whatever,, doesn't always mean it's a problem animal. Usually the root of the problem is man.
Copied from above-Contender

And in the case of cats, man/woman is the problem--the "owner"!!

Why is it , at least in this state, dogs need to be licensed/leashed but cats are put out every night to do their killing. I believe that when leash laws went in cats were
kept indoors-all the time.

Neighbor had 2 cats at one time, a cat door so the cat could come/go at will, and NO litter box--YUK!!

Now the thing around here is to catch the ferals, fix em, vaccinate, clip the ear and release back to where it came from--"community cats" so the neighborhood cats can SOCIALIZE.. Dont laugh it is coming to your neighborhood.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:17 am 
Single-Sixer

I live in town and at times have had cat problems. The last big infestation was a Lady living in a near by apartment building fell and broke her hip! Her kids put her in a home and cleaned out the apartment. Part of the cleaning was to release 18-20 cats to run the neighborhood. I have a 12’ overhang on the side of my barn. A dry place to store my lumber. Well the cats found it and moved in. For what was left of fall we didn’t have much problem but winter can and the darn cat started to use the dust and sawdust for litter! Many Clear Cherry 1x12 boards covered With cat crap and pee. So the war started at few 220 body gripers and a live trap. The county dog warden got tired of coming and getting cats (6 in 4days). Said the pound was full of cats and he had nowhere to take them. So black garbage bags and the dumpster was the final ride for ten more. 16 cat in 14 days. Do I blame the cats no but I will not put up with the mess and damage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:13 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
The only time I've shot a stray dog was when I "found" it trying to pull down a calf. After two 32-20 bullets to the breadbasket it quickly died. The third round had to be used on the calf.

The trustee paid for the calf and the owner was convinced by the trustee not to file charges. Even now the guy claims the only reason the dog was shot was because it was a pit bull despite the pictures of the torn up calf. We've never had too much problems with cats save for my daughter trying to bring them into the house. But then we have a policy of neutering the toms early in life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:02 pm 
Hawkeye

I used to have a healthy population of quail, and had woodcock nesting on my farm. I kept finding their carcasses, and seeing a large Black and white cat. No neighbors claimed it. One day I found it in my scope on the gun range. Too late, all the birds were gone!
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:09 pm 
Blackhawk

The guy across the street from our house in town has, by his own admission, eleven cats. They are free to roam the neighborhood. As do at least another 6 or 8 that I don’t know where they call “home”. I used to keep water out for the birds but quit doing that. The dang cats thought it was a smorgasbord.

I get tired of having to watch where I step in my yard, so I don’t track cat dukey in my house.

City animal control won’t do anything to enforce the city animal ordinances, either. At least those applying to cats.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 pm 
Buckeye

arfmel wrote:
The guy across the street from our house in town has, by his own admission, eleven cats. They are free to roam the neighborhood. As do at least another 6 or 8 that I don’t know where they call “home”. I used to keep water out for the birds but quit doing that. The dang cats thought it was a smorgasbord. I get tired of having to watch where I step in my yard, so I don’t track cat dukey in my house. City animal control won’t do anything to enforce the city animal ordinances, either. At least those applying to cats.

You could always trap and relocate them to the local animal shelter yourself. But, as long as you have neighbors that will continue with this nonsense, it is likely to remain a problem. At my old place I was absolutely overrun with squirrels. After trying the trapping/relocation thing for a few months.....which had zero effect on the population, I found an older Marlin 880 SS (.22 bolt gun) that I made into my dedicated bird feeder gun. I had an old scope laying around which was zeroed to that rifle in the 38 foot long hallway of my old house. The dedicated ammo for that gun was Aquilla Super Colibri .22 caliber ammunition and I used a big phone book for a backstop. This ammo has no gunpowder and fires from the primer alone. With that ammo this rifle will do head shots all day long out to 50 ft. I used to sit in my dining room, crack the patio door open about 6 inches and knock em out of the feeders all the time. In this rifle, those rounds are quieter than my pump-up .22 cal Benjamin air rifle. :idea:

And for the animal control folks......I would be down at the next City Council meeting asking them why that particular taxpayer funded organization exists. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:49 pm 
Ruger Guru

Animal Control folks are usually under staffed,, and over worked with complaints. The best way to get action from them is to keep calling & complaining. Mention things like "rabies" and "Feline Leukemia" and such. KEEP CALLING,, and they will eventually do something. PLUS,, to be sure they do,, keep a record/log of when you call, who you speak with, and what they say. Let them KNOW you are asking these types of questions,, and they will know you are serious.
Also, in most places,, the AC is under the local Sheriff Dept. If you get "blown off" & ignored,, your record of your complaints can be taken to their boss.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA