RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "sick" raccoons
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:13 am 
Hawkeye

Not sure sick of what but I've been seeing several raccoons out during the day looking "confused" and in poor condition.
One last evening may have also had mange and was thin and sort of "lost". We used to attribute this to "distemper" but I'm not sure this is the real cause. I've seen some so debilitated that they were rundown with a tractor-they'd just run a little bit and stop waiting to be smashed.
Dad used to say "Any coon you see out in daylight is either sick or starving". Maybe so, maybe no but that logic dates back to the 1930's.

Post subject: Re: "sick" raccoons
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am 
Buckeye

Unless it gets disturbed from it's den, any (normally) nocturnal animal that appears during daylight hours is presumed to be rabid and is destroyed. And, regardless of the hour, if they look even a little bit "off" we shoot them on sight......we ain't playing. :!:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am 
Hawkeye

The L.A. animal control folks started getting reports of sick racoons. The passed it off as distemper. Dangerous for dogs but not humans.

I came across one on the very early Sunday afternoon showing signs of sickness. A call to the animal control folks was met with we'll be there in a few hours. Seems they were too "busy". They gave me the distemper line.

Now I've seen distemper, and I've seen rabies. This coon was rabid. No amount of arguing could get them to budge (of note, there was a large sporting event on TV). After threatening to shoot it myself they amazingly showed up in about ten minutes (about the time it would take to immediately drive from the shelter to the location).

The "expert" had been on the job less than two months and couldn't seem to wrangle the coon. I finally, out of frustration, helped her.

Later emails to her department, and the city fathers in general, went ignored.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:08 am 
Hawkeye

I too have seen distemper. It is unmistaken, due to the seizures that cause the animal to arch its back and curl the lips. I agree the raccoons probably had rabies.
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:07 pm 
Ruger Guru

Ok, just because a normally nocturnal animal is out in daylight, does not mean it’s automatically sick of something.
Disturbed from sleep, hunger, mating season & a female in heat nearby, are but a few of the reasons.
HOWEVER,, it can be ONE of the signs associated with various diseases,, including rabies.
If an animal exhibits odd behavoir, out during the daylight, fur is unkempt, appears malnourished, unstable movements, are all things that can help determine what should be done about an animal. Rabies can only be accurately determined by tests done on brain tissue in general.

If I encounter similar symptoms as described in the OP, I’d put the animal down.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:53 pm 
Hawkeye

I'd add one other reason a normally nocturnal animal will be out during the day. They have become so accustom to man, and have no fear of man that they can move about with impunity.

The coyotes here have reached that point. Frankly, sad though it may be, it will take the death of a child before most folks wake up. And some will even then plead the coyotes case, unless of course it's their child.

A neighbor is a wonderful example. She was all for leaving them alone. Then three of them took down her beagle. They killed it in her backyard and proceeded to eat their fill right there. She is now one of the most avid anti coyote folks around.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 am 
Ruger Guru

Yep,, many things can make an animal alter it's "normal" habits.

And yes,, it often takes a violent & brutal action to make some people get their heads out of their a,,,,,, eerr,, the sand to understand that controls are necessary. (Sadly,, even then,, some folks fail to accept the facts!)

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:53 pm 
Blackhawk

About 10 years ago we had a raccoon showing all the symptoms you describe attacking my neighbor's cat. I called animal control and loaded up the shotgun. It was staggering and slobbering all over the place. It was heading toward me and just as I leveled the shotgun at him animal control came flying up and corralled it. They took it away and came back within an hour saying it tested positive for rabies. My vet also says that any raccoon you see out during the day should be considered rabid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 pm 
Ruger Guru

Again, not all coons out during daylight are suspected of carrying rabies. Vets deal with domestic animals,, and are often not as educated in wildlife as the biologists & similar people I deal with are. Besides,, I have had many cases of coons out during daylight with NO signs of rabies.

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:25 am 
Hawkeye

During the 2018 drought we often saw coons out looking for food or water during daylight hours simply because they had to move around so much to find either. Environmental issues are a factor.
The flip side is: we have far too many coons and other nest predators for the good of our struggling game bird population due to the extremely low raw fur prices. It's not like we'd be annihilating the local coon population with the SOS policy.
In addition, I noted places where the coons had gone right down a row of barely emerged soybeans digging the sprouts up and eating them. 10' of missing row here and there amounts to several $$ of lost income that can't be recovered even if I trap that big coon this fall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 am 
Hawkeye

We saw two more this week. Very rough looking fur, sort of "lost acting". The low fur prices don't pay enough to entice folks to make the effort to hunt/trap coons so the population increases until disease is rampant.
Mother Nature's a beech.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:55 am 
Ruger Guru

Amen to that. Low fur prices,, the anti-trapping stigma, and populations do increase until disease & such takes over to "balance" things. A much worse death for the animals.

Another reason a coon (or other nocturnal types) may be out during the daytime,, especially this time of year. A momma coon may have babies,, and as noted about the needs for food,, gets up & hunts when she is hungry & needs food for her babies. Kinda like the old saying; "The early bird gets the worm" sort of thing.

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:53 pm 
Blackhawk

Wildlife "experts" in the area said the the rabies epidemic here in Va came from coon hunters importing coons from Florida. Coons had become scarce in parts of the state so they went down and trapped a lot of them to raise the population for hunting purposes. Evidently, many of them had rabies and they never noticed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:24 pm 
Ruger Guru

You are partially correct.
The canine rabies virus that we in NC & Va have has had it's DNA traced to Florida & south Ga. It skipped SC,,, and showed up in NC & Va. Mostly in NC first. It was in certain areas,, and the State biologists were able to track it to coon hunting clubs AND fox hunting clubs who were ILLEGALLY importing coons, foxes & even coyotes to hunt here. This was in the early 1990's. It spread and spread. The virus can be in an animals system, be dormant, yet still transferable. Some of the Va issues came from coon clubs & some came from critters crossing the state lines on their own. I personally know of a fox hunting club that was caught, & fined twice for this type of activity. You know the type, horses, horns & hounds running the animals,, not actually killing them. Supposed to be in enclosed areas. Mostly a richer mans activity. Well, they got fined,, paid the fines & went on about their merry way.

There has been efforts to slow or hopefully stop the spread of the virus,, but so far,, it hasn't worked.

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:04 am 
Hunter

Around here, when they get zoned out and just wander out in the daytime, it's distemper according to a vet we talked to about it several years ago. We killed piles of them one year and he cut a few up. They just come out to the edge of the road and sit there watching cars. It's strange. First time we saw it we thought it was someone's pet coon that had wandered off.