RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CWD in Missouri
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:37 pm 
Hunter

I read a report from Missouri Conservation Dept. on Chronic Wasting. It is in Iowa, my county had mandatory testing. I rattled in a nice 8 point at 6:30 am. I had just put rattling antlers down, M77 .270’s chamber was empty! I quickly chambered a 130 gr Remington Core Lok and put it through both lungs. Drove to check in station to be tested. It came back Negative. But, there has been close to 100 confirmed cases in MO. Over 400 deer and elk in Arkansas. Looks like CWD is firmly started. Anyone else hear any news on it? This hunt was in Mercer County. On the Iowa border

Post subject: Re: CWD in Missouri
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:27 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm sorry to hear that. I understand it can be tough on a herd. Otherwise I'm not all that familiar with it.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm 
Hunter

I believe it’s been in Wyoming for years in Mule deer. Maybe elk? I know it’s in the Mid-West now. I took my deer in to be tested. They cut the lymph nodes out of throat. This healthy buck was negative.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:13 pm 
Hawkeye

I watched the development of the disease in north MO as it was introduced by imported animals on a game farm in NW Macon county. It was a catastrophic blunder on the part of the bunny cops. MDC didn't want to incur the expense of testing and or monitoring of the disease and assumed the policy of "it's farming not game management" so the Dept of Agriculture should be doing the monitoring and oversight. Dept of Ag said they didn't know how to handle wild game inside high fences. In the end, nobody did anything and the unregulated transport and lack of double fencing brought the disease in and allowed it to spread.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 pm 
Hunter

Yes, Mobuck, I have always heard captive deer was a source. Pen raised deer needs to be stopped. It’s probably too late. I know it covers Iowa, Missouri, and Arkansas. Soon coming to a State near you! I believe it’s out of control. And worse than we are being told.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:51 am 
Blackhawk

Is it edible?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:43 am 
Hawkeye

Is it edible?

The prions which cause the CWD are resistant to nearly everything and can survive years in the soil, most disinfectants, and digestive acids.
Generally speaking, the meat of infected animals can be consumed w/o transmitting the disease. In fact, many animals carry the prions for years before showing signs of the disease or maybe never become sick. As long as brain matter, saliva, or spinal fluid is not transferred the likelihood of disease transfer is minimized.
These are generalized comments as I'm neither a veterinarian or biologist.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:46 pm 
Hunter

One important thing to remember. Do not band saw thru bone marrow. I don’t saw thru bone, except at neck, to remove head. And lower legs. I know you have to saw some of it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm 
Buckeye

I know it's only a matter of time before this hits Kentucky. This past deer season the biologists with the KDNR were at the local butcher shop taking samples. So when this stuff does shows up, what is going to happen at the butcher shops? From the above post there is evidently a test for it. Will it be done on each and every deer before it is processed at a shop to prevent cross contamination? If one slips through an is later found out won't all the equipment in the shop have to be destroyed?
I really wish the state would outlaw all feeding stations, food plots and mineral blocks now, before it arrives.
Tom black

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:50 pm 
Hunter

Missouri has warned about food sources that concentrate deer together at these spots. I always bone the meat out. I imagine meat lockers will bandsaw the carcass when they process. Some of the lockers in my area are only accepting boned venison. I think it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:40 am 
Hawkeye

There is a “Cervid Research Center” outside of Durango raising CWD free elk. Might be a source of information. Tn doesn’t have CWD at present. Current regefollow:

“Beginning in 2018, if you harvest a deer
(or elk or moose) anywhere outside Tennessee,
you may only bring the following back into the state:

a. Meat with all bones removed.
b. Antlers, antlers attached to cleaned skull plates
or cleaned skulls - which have NO meat or
tissues attached.
c. Cleaned teeth - which have NO meat or tissues
attached.
d. Finished antler products and taxidermy mounts. e. Hides (tanned or green) or tanned products.
CWD has NOT yet been found in Tennessee and is not known to pose a risk to human health. However, should CWD be discovered in Tennessee, it will absolutely have an effect on our white-tailed deer herd.”
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 am 
Hawkeye

CWD is a nasty disease, hope they get a handle on it soon. So far so good here in Maine. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:11 am 
Hawkeye

gramps,
Just because the state of Tennessee says "CWD has not been discovered", doesn't mean it's not there. Those elk that were imported by TN/KY decades back could easily have been carrying the prions and you're not that far from Arkansas.
When MO found the scope of the problem, MDC basically tried to cover it up by conducting some "thinning" operations. Hundreds of crop depredation permits were passed out to area farmers. This failed to reduce the numbers significantly and actually scattered the infected animals more than if nothing had been done.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:52 pm 
Hunter

I searched Oklahoma about CWD. I found that Kansas and Texas has confirmed cases. Question is,, how is this stopped?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:53 pm 
Buckeye

Dave,
I don't think it can be stopped.
Tom