RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:05 pm 
Hawkeye

I've been shooting a Savage 110 that I did a barrel swap on close to a decade back from 30/06 to 25/06. It also has a Rifle Basix trigger and the factory "Tupperware" stock. It's dependable and accurate with several weights and types of ammo. Today I discovered another reason to like it.
I'm taking this rifle to New Mexico for my cow elk hunt since it's at the upper end of the recoil my bum shoulder can handle right now. After zeroing with Federal factory 115 grain Partitions, I ran a few Nosler factory 100 grain "E-Tip" ammo through it.
BINGO With the 115 grainers @ 2960 fps hitting 3" high @ 100, the 100 grainers @ 3200 are 2.5" high. This puts the 300 yard POI of the two rounds in nearly the same place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 pm 
Hunter

Good luck on your hunt. Should be plenty of rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:38 pm 
Buckeye

My 110 in .270 has been my go-to rifle for all my longer shots......Savage has it right with this platform.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 am 
Hawkeye

The Rifle Basix trigger is a worthwhile upgrade IMHO. Getting the factory trigger down to an acceptable pull MAY result in AD's so the aftermarket option is much safer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 am 
Hawkeye

Mobuck, curious if you've tried these bullets on game. Some are designed for critters like coyotes but may not be suitable on animals like Elk. Some bullets work under the right conditions, I prefer those that work under less than optimal conditions. But then I'm a heavy for caliber type of guy so typically use 180's.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

Last edited by Bear Paw Jack on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 am 
Hawkeye

I used the 100 grain E-Tip ammo last year on whitetails and will do so again this year. This bullet is a "mono-lith" construction and appears to increase penetration over "cup and core" bullets which had been giving inconsistent results at the velocities generated by the 25/06. I decided I wanted the extra penetration for those "not quite perfect" presentations that big bucks may offer. Last year the E-Tips showed 2' of penetration on a large bodied buck at under 100 yards--a shot that would likely have failed with my previous loads using a 100 grain BTSP lead core bullet.
The 115 grain Nosler Partitions are proven on elk so no problem there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:15 pm 
Hunter

I haven't shot an elk with any .25 caliber ( though I wouldn't hesitate to), but many Alabama whitetails fell to my .257 Bob with 115 grain Partition Noslers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:13 am 
Hawkeye

The 115 Partitions did great.
My first shot @ 200+ yards hit slightly low due to my shooting platform being very unstable. The elk ran 50 yards and laid down but when the guide drove up to the "dead" elk, she jumped and ran. My second shot at the quartering away running animal hit just in front of the rear quarter and raked 3' through paunch, lungs, and shoulder putting her down for good.
After my Cousin shot his .308 dry, I handed off the 25/06, told him the range, and proper hold. That shot @ 354 yards went through the lungs just at the back of the shoulders and exited resulting in a 10 yard "circle run" and toppling over.
I'm so impressed with this performance that I've started buying parts to upgrade my spare Savage 25/06 to become my back-up rifle. I haven't decided if I'll spend the $200 to increase my barrel length from 22 to 24" on the spare at this time. It;s accurate enough as-is but I sort of like that extra 150 fps the 24" gives me. The 24" on my primary 25/06 may just be a "fast" barrel but it puts me almost exactly 1/2 way between the 22" factory 25/06 barrel and my Vanguard 24" 257 Wby(about 150-200 fps behind the Wby with 1/3 less recoil).