RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Youth deer season
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:48 am 
Hawkeye

Opens in about 2 hours. The kids are excited and I'm guardedly hopeful. Considering the numbers of deer seen on this place it should be like picking tomatoes but always unknown factors.
Over the last week my average number of deer seen from the UTV seat early morning drive through has been a dozen or so. Yesterday morning about 20 including 5 bucks. We placed a pop-up blind on the deck of my flatbed gooseneck trailer and I saw a little cull buck walk literally under the hitch. Another pop-up was placed in a corner of the just harvested soybean field and within 2 hours, a deer was nibbling leftovers within 50' of the blind. I'd like for the kids to shoot a couple of the little "teaser" bucks before they "get lucky" and sire any more like themselves.
The bigger bucks are still hanging back and always a bit shy about showing themselves so I don't see them every day but I have seen a matched pair of medium sized 10 pointers and there's a really pretty tall but narrow 10 point that I'd shoot if given a chance.
Yesterday, I found time to shoot my 25/06 I'm taking to New Mexico after swapping scopes. It's not quite as accurate with the Nosler Partitions as some other loads but 1.5 MOA will be adequate for any elk I shoot at.

Post subject: Re: Youth deer season
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:09 pm 
Hawkeye

Grandson scored a respectable 8 point with one shot from the 6x45MM @ 160 yards this morning.
Granddaughter "yipped" her chance at a small fork horn this evening @ 75 yards and only clipped his withers. I wish she'd been with me this morning as we had a bigger forkhorn broadside @ 32 yards that her Brother refused to shoot. Guess I'm taking her to that blind tomorrow morning and see if that forkie does a repeat of his travel path.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:19 pm 
Ruger Guru

Kudos to the grandson! And as for the granddaughter,, "maybe soon!"

I wanted to be hunting today myself. However,, prior a commitment kept me from it. They were moving a lot today.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:08 am 
Hawkeye

She muffed 2 opportunities before succeeding last year. I'm really not sure she was quite ready in 2017 but I didn't get a vote. Still not sure this year.
She's doing well enough on the range but in the field it seems she loses that target focus and just shoots when it's close or something similar.
I didn't handle my end quite right yesterday. I was watching through bino's from her right side and the hot brass ended up on the bridge of my nose between cap bill and bino eyepieces. Sort of lost my focus.
She had a much better opportunity at a "forkie-spike"(tiny fork on one side and spike on the other) but turned him down. By the time the slightly bigger forkie got to the field, the does were all over us and she spooked them moving her gun barrel. Guess she's learning the hard way to take the first best shot or ??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:29 am 
Ruger Guru

It sounds as if you are spot on about her & how things are. And it's NOT a gender thing as some might think. A lot of kids fail to "focus" on things when the excitement of the moment arrives.
Patience, careful comments of encouragement, and support are the things needed.

Hot brass in the face. Seen it,, had it,, and don't like it.
Most often in a handgun match,, with auto-shuckers slinging brass back to me,, the RO,,, OR back into the face of the shooter. I saw one guy get a piece stuck between his glasses, and his eyebrow. Burned a blister there.
Even an old TV show,, "CSI Miami" had one of the early episodes catching the shooter because of skin left on the hot brass after it left the gun & slightly burned the guilty one. If I recall correctly,, it was caught on her breast.
All the more reason to wear safety glasses.

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:48 pm 
Hawkeye

Thanks for sharing. Good luck!
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:27 am 
Hawkeye

Well, we didn't get her another shot Sunday. We DID have a really good day overall even w/o shooting.
We had a Bambi munching soybeans @30' for several minutes and deer in sight most of our Sunday morning hunt but the highlight was a yearling bobcat walking unconcerned across our front @ 35-50 yards. Pretty small(about the size of a large house cat with longer legs) and quite light coloration. The wind was wrong for our prepared blinds Sunday evening so we sat in a different place on the harvested field. The wind was swirling and a doe winded us, blowing and stomping right behind our stand. The place I'd seen deer exit the woods for the last 3-4 days was upwind but still nothing came out there. Unfortunately, an entire troupe of deer came out where we'd sat the even before. Of course they would have smelled us had we been in that spot so just as well we didn't spook them.
When we left our spot to walk to the UTV, there were 20 deer in the 25 acre field including 2 big bucks, a medium sized buck, and not sure how many little bucks as it was getting dark along the edges. She got a good look at the big boys from about 250 yards(I easily could have shot either of the big ones with my 25/06) and claimed the high racked 8 point as her goal. I teased her a bit by telling her I couldn't let her shoot that one as then she wouldn't have much to look forward to in the future--that she had to work her way up to the big ones by learning on the smaller bucks. Truthfully, w/o an act of divine intervention, I'm not sure I can get her within her 100 range limitation of those big ones.
I reminded her that when I started deer hunting, it was a big deal just to SEE a deer and shooting one was about a 10% chance. Back then, seeing a pair of bucks like those together in the same field at the same time was unheard of and shooting a deer as big as the ones we saw last evening would have got your picture in the newspaper.
These are local bucks. I saw the high racked buck last year about this time less than 1/4 mile from where he was last night--just once and didn't see him again until about 45 days ago when I bumped him and the wide, heavy white racked buck out of a little patch of willows in the middle of a soybean field 1/2 mile from where they were last night .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 am 
Ruger Guru

"Ahh,,,, patience grasshopper!"

You are teaching her well.

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:55 am 
Hawkeye

Mobuck, must have been the time I grew up. I was lucky to see a deer much less shoot one. Doesn't hurt to wait. No reason to think you can get everything easily.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:50 am 
Hawkeye

Last evening, I was out checking deer activity and saw the little buck Granddaughter clipped last week. He has a boo-boo on his withers but was chasing a doe w/o any indication of incapacity. I feel much better about this as it confirms my call on shot placement.
Also saw the old white horned buck in the same field. I was concerned that all the activity during harvest, hunting, and post-harvest soil testing might put the big boys into nocturnal mode.
Last evening's long range count was 13 does/fawns and 5 bucks. Those were the more obvious ones I saw before my fingers got cold.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:45 pm 
Blackhawk

My son(14) got a doe on the MI youth hunt. We gave the bucks a chance, but with only a few hours to go, heading towards noon, this one was close enough.

He used his rifle of choice, K-31 in 7.5 Swiss.