RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm 
Blackhawk

wwb wrote:
A couple of my Army pals were from Texas.... they both said they called 'em "speed bumps".

Way a long time ago my Army buddy advised NEVER to hit one-dead or alive as it was just like hitting a basketball sized rock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 pm 
Single-Sixer

Update, there has been an invasion of armadillos recently. I picked up the .44 SRH and my target loads of 240 gr Keith cast SWCs going at about 1000 fps as they're pretty quiet and pleasant to shoot and previous experiences with my 10/22 and a shotgun with #4 shot weren't all that great. Armadillos are blind and fairly slow so you can get within about 10 yards before they try to waddle away, I simply walk up to them. That tactic and that firearm and load work very well and I've gotten multiple armadillos doing that. I've also shot possums and raccoons with the same load/gun combo and it works very well on them as well, one shot through the vitals and they're dead without much noise or mess.

I was raised to use a shotgun or an air rifle/.22LR for everything. My Dad was from Iowa where anything except shotguns and .22 rimfires were illegal for hunting until very recently. As such, all we had growing up were shotguns, pellet guns, and .22s. It was quite the revelation as an adult to finally shoot centerfire rifles and much later, handguns, as according to my Dad, handguns are for criminals and have no legitimate sporting purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 pm 
Single-Sixer

Old Texan Joke: Why did the chicken cross the road? To show the Armadillo it could be done....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Flyover_Country wrote:
Those pests have unfortunately invaded up from the south in the last decade and I see one about once per year in my yard in southwest MO. They are quite destructive as they dig and root through the ground. I usually use a shotgun to shoot pests and a goose load of T steel shot works well for them. I have never been impressed with the killing power of a .22. I can hit them just fine with my 10/22 but it generally takes several shots to knock something over and have it stay down. I did recently get a .44 SRH and I betcha a 200 grain XTP at about 1600 fps would work MUCH better. I suppose I could whack one with a 125 grain bullet at 3300 fps out of my '06, but that may be a little overkill, and a giant mess to have to clean up. Turning one into pulp with a shotgun is bad enough, let alone exploding one with an '06 varmint bullet.

.22mag does just fine for dillo's and other pesky critters on my property. Hornady 30gr V-Max is typically what I use in my old Win.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:00 pm 
Single-Sixer

Ive hit 'dillos out on I-20 at 75 mph with Mrs Joes 1988 Suburban ,,,,, heard and felt a satisfying thump as they went under the vehicle only to see them rolling off in the bar ditch......

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:00 pm 
Hawkeye

In the last two weeks, dead Armadillo have started showing up on the roads again. There do seem to be fewer than before winter.
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:58 pm 
Blackhawk

This seems to be the time of the year as I recall. Also the June bugs, in the next couple weeks.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Today I had a long day, the truck broke down( see the lounge), I got home late. Changed clothes and failed to pick up my revolver. Get 100 yds from the house and the Jack Russell Terrier is going ballistic. I was afraid she had found a skunk, but nooo, it was an Armadillo! Did I say BIG? Bigger around than she is. I went back to the house, retrieved my weapon, alas, the dillo skedattled. The ONLY TIME I was out without a weapon!
gramps

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 pm 
Hawkeye

I went back out with the dog, and unable to find it again. The ridges in its shell were indistinct. It can and did move fast for short busts. I haven’t seen any tell tale diggings. This is only the second one on my property.
gramps

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:55 pm 
Hawkeye

A BIG Armadillo is dead on the road a half mile from my place. It wasn’t there when I left at 1100, but there at 1515 when I got back. So much for them being nocturnal?
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:09 pm 
Hawkeye

This AM at 0400, the Jack Russell and I were out for a walk. Jumped a small herd of deer 3/4 of the way up the hill on my driveway. The girl responded to my soft NO! So she didn’t give chase. So we go around the top of a ravine, and she is alerting, then took off. I see a deer in the ravine and say, NO! Well out of the other side of a blackberry thicket comes about a 1-2 lb Armadillo streaking along at warp speed. I yell “get it!” The girl flat out poured on the coal, caught up with it in 50 feet, tried to grab it several times, but her teeth just slipped off! I wasn’t about to shoot for fear of hitting my girl. That Armadillo was smoking and made it to a larger black berry patch 150 feet away. Whooee, what a morning! Went back during daylight, but the patch is pretty much impenetrable. It is now scheduled to be Bush hogged!
gramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 am 
Hunter

Can armadillos be harmful to dogs if they go at it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am 
Blackhawk

Spent 2 yrs in Texas in the army. Friend went to LA and came cack to visit after couple months, in the spring. Quiite a few dillos on the highway. He said "dont ever hit one-dead or alive as it is like hitting a basketball sized rock." Some others have refuted that since so I dont know. Probably never get back to Tex.
Met a young lady back then, a recent college grad, and she said TEX was the proper
name for the state as they had sent the a55 to Washington. She had a secondary degree in TEX history so I guess she knew what she was speaking about.