RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:46 pm 
Single-Sixer

Sorry guys my reply didnt show up. I used to butcher most of my deer so I have
A pretty good idea what I should have gotten back. I am dealing with Idaho
Fish and game over this. They said I should contact the local law enforcement. Im sure nothing will come of it. I have never comented on someones business, but this man stole from me and thinks im stupid enough to accept his claim that is a whole deer. B.S. where are my tenderloins? Where are the rest of my back straps? 2 full backsraps in and 10 inches returned.
Lucky Acres
Payette Idaho
I cant find him listed anywhere online

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:51 am 
Hawkeye

Beruisis wrote:
Yep I've been down that same road.
Learned to butcher, process & package my own now.
You can do the same.
Beruisis

The answer is this. Thieves are everywhere .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:18 pm 
Hunter

Beartracks has it right. Over my life time I have killed over 130 Deer and nearly two dozen Elk. Approximately one third of the live weight of either a Deer or Elk is actual edible cuts of meat, perhaps slightly over, depending on the size and flesh condition of the live animal.

Every year, for my employees and my self on my two ranches, I have cattle slaughtered and processed at lockers. We normally expect slightly less than 50 percent of live weight for the edible beef, wrapped and frozen at the Locker. Our Beef are in better flesh (fat) condition than wild game to account for the result.

There have been a few times, early in the High Country Seasons (August in Colorado) when I have killed a large Buck Deer with over two inches of fat over it's back. A buck like that will dress out a little better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 pm 
Hunter

My family about refuses to eat any deer unless I have processed it myself. They like how picky I am with caring for the meat, from field to processing to cooking. Only meat I've taken to the processor in years is when I want some burger or sausage. I think I'm about to buy a good quality meat grinder so I can do that myself, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm 
Hawkeye

It doesn't take a butcher to grind meat. What a waste of venison. BTDT, and I found a real butcher to teach me to cut steaks and roasts and I can tell you to properly process a gutted, hide-on deer it takes one pro a couple hours or more. Or any tattoo'ed monkey can grind a carcass.
Processing is part of hunting. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am 
Single-Sixer

I have to say I've always taken care of my own butchering, partly because of stories I've heard about dishonest butchers, but mostly because I was taught how to do it properly. I have had friends who got their deer back from the butcher and found it to be cut exactly like beef, chops with the bone in and tallow around the edge. All that being said, last year my son asked me to find a butcher to take care of three that my grandson killed. I found a local guy who is a meat cutter by day and butchers deer on the side. He cuts 1 deer at a time, packages any way you want. He charged $65 per deer. When we picked them up every thing was wrapped in white butcher paper and came in one of those canvas shopping bags with his logo and phone number on the side. Nice cuts, no tallow and wrapped much neater than mine. Some good ones out there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 pm 
Hawkeye

Bone it out, package with seal a meal and then in big ziplock, cut it up for whatever we are going to use it for, I pull out backstraps whole, usually makes 4 packages since we tend to like them bacon wrapped in the smoker, all roast packaged in sized packages for stew, a pot roast, or grind up in the kitchen with sausage or bacon. If I am going to have summer sausage made, or the whole deer ground, then I will take it to processor I know well who keeps his equipment clean.
But 90% of the time, I make my own jerky, and we tend to use the roast and neck meat for pot roast,stew or chili s no sense doing anything other than package what we use in a big meal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:41 pm 
Single-Sixer

We take the backstraps and tenderloins and freeze them.

Quit using one processor after I got "my" processed deer back and it had both.

With CWD so prevalent now (my deer last year tested positive), I only work with a couple processors I trust.

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 am 
Bearcat

I've harvested more than a few mule deer bucks in Colorado over the years. I always received around 70 pounds of boneless meat from my processor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:14 pm 
Hawkeye

Recently, my brother harvested a nice 6x7 bull elk. We took it to Nile Valley Meats near Naches, WA. Weighed in over 400 lbs of skinned and quartered elk meat. Afterward, we picked up 386 lbs. of packaged elk. Enough to fill 7 standard sized coolers and a couple of soft side coolers. We were completely satisfied and highly recommend this shop.

Sorry for your trouble......

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:19 pm 
Single-Sixer

I would never let anyone touch my meat,, wild game that is,,,:wink:

In the first place like sixshot said, even the best butcher is going to have more waste than you will, he makes his living by the hour, and has to do it for price people are willing to pay. My grind and steaks I am meticulous about, like was said the rest if it's being canned don't matter, but connective tissue and the likes matter on a good med rare steak or burger that's not cooked to resemble dried leather.

Then their is what sixshot described as the unauthorized tipping of ones self! Now that is BS, and I am sure a lot more goes on from them good old boys that so many put their trust in than we are ever left to imagine!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 pm 
Blackhawk

Our hunting shack had a butcher that hunted with us. He taught us about cutting up meat. The whole hunting party helps we trim everything have a place to clean the meat. In almost 40 years I cannot remember finding hair or anything else in my meat. It takes time but we all work together.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 pm 
Hawkeye

I learned to do my own butchering way back when I was young. Only once have I taken a deer to a butcher, and it was a fairly big doe. I got back a lot less than I expected, only one backstrap. I called the butcher and he told me the shot had ruined the other. Bunch of crap! I had shot that doe through the heart. So, it's "nevermore" for that. It's a bit of a job, but you get your fair share, and you know the meat from a to z.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
Pres. John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm 
Single-Sixer

Sorry for you. I'm thankful I was taught how to do it myself

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:56 pm 
Hawkeye

I learned to butcher from a former landlord in SW Va., who was a butcher by trade. I have always butchered my own deer, and in fact I have butchered deer for others, when I had the space.
gramps