RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Sheriff's report indicates a 6 point bull elk was struck on HWY 71 between Savannah and Maryville within the previous 24 hours. There's not a lot of cover in that area as most is farm land. I sort of wonder where that critter came from.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:05 pm 
Buckeye

If its like here in Oregon, at night many are running and cross into the path of a high speed vehicle. The driver never sees them until the animal is in the vehicles headlights. Driver cannot stop in time. I have had deer run into the side of my vehicle, watched the same happen to a friends car and neighbor said he just had a deer run into the side of his truck all at night. Elk, we have had dozens killed in 1 incident while they graze on and near railroad tracks at night. While I am mentioning animals struck at night by vehicles its not just deer and elk, bear, cougar, bobcats along with just about every animal that is active at night gets hit every season. Owls and eagles get hit as the dive across the roadways at night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:28 am 
Blackhawk

We usually get upwards of around 400 moose kills in the Matanuska/Susitna Valley area on the Parks Highway and Glenn Highway most winters. A moose can do a whole lot of damage to a small SUV going 65mph.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 am 
Hawkeye

A more detailed report indicated the vehicle was a semi-tractor and the bull elk was guesstimated to be 2-3 years old. As strange as it might sound, there seems to be several reports of elk sightings in that area of the state and this particular animal had been seen more than once in the vicinity.
I get around as much as anyone but the only elk I've seen in north MO have been inside a high fence.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:07 pm 
Buckeye

Okay, I got your thoughts. I take Elk for granted and should not. I see Roosevelt and Rocky mt. types offton. Any idea if they have been transplanted into the area? Rocky Mt. Elk Fountain has been doing that in states where Elk used to roam.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:26 am 
Hawkeye

No "official" indication of any transplanted elk. There's really not that much habitat up in that area. In 2018, I worked several claims in that area of the state so got to see a fair cross section of the land. A few "small conservation areas" (small in terms of elk range anyway) and some river breaks but mostly just open farm land. It's approx 300-350 miles from the area where the Kentucky elk were transplanted and probably 3x that distance to known native elk populations in Nebraska/South Dakota.
I'd guess it's more likely an escapee from a Mom and Pop high fence op but no one's going to claim the critter and accept the cost of damages to the vehicle. The bunny cops should know where these places are as they're regulated and permitted but sometimes stuff like that just flies under the radar.
I know a place that "lost" 3 bull elk when a tree fell across the fence in 2017. They showed up in Son's yard long enough for a picture and then vamoosed and were on the loose most of the winter of 17/18 before being captured(or shot, I'm not sure which way it went) in some rough ground a few miles away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:23 am 
Ruger Guru

Elk can truly wander long distances. We had a group of 9 elk leave Kentucky,, and appeared in WNC. We only got to know about them after a coy was struck by a car & killed.
It's breeding season & bulls will wander long distances to find cows!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 am 
Buckeye

A game farm is possible, here if legal they are inspected yearly and the game was be tagged with a ear tag. Which would ID the farm. The game farms here also get wild deer or elk hanging out outside the fences. What ever the case was, its to bad the bull was struck and killed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:23 pm 
Hawkeye

About the only good part is that the vehicle was a large truck rather than a car or SUV. If it had been a smaller vehicle, personal injuries could have occurred.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:55 pm 
Hawkeye

I hope the meat wasn’t wasted?
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm 
Hawkeye

Report said the carcass was held by MDC for testing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 am 
Hunter

1. Had an elk hit by the car in front of us. It was is Estes Park directly in front of the Stanley Hotel (i.e. Stanley Steamer fame). We stopped for a red light and it turned green We started
across and the elk ran off the shoulder directly in front of the car in front. Busted out all the windows like a grenade went off.
2. Had a cow elk hit on the pass just outside of town. A snowfall the next day buried it. It froze to the pavement and was buried. A snowplow came along and cut it in half (it was on the fog line). Coyotes and ravens got the rest.
3. Same area: Coming back from Portland one night in the fog with my boss-I'm driving an Agency 4x4. Suddenly see the "butt patches" of elk everywhere in the headlights. Never had a chance to slow down. Fortunately, non were in my lane==estimate herd was 30-50 elk.
4. Still the same area: Bad fires pushed the elk herd(s) into farmland. Herd of 500 (?) with waaaayy over a dozen BIG bulls and lots of spikes and cows feeding on the alfalfa and hay on the "hobby" farms.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:39 pm 
Buckeye

This is precisely why I never go to Nodaway County Missouri.
When states allow wild animals to randomly attack vehicles I won't go there.
It should be labeled animal terrorism.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:45 am 
Hawkeye

Here Moose collisions happen pretty frequently. Long legged critters sometimes
come thru the windshield. Some folks have been killed! Most collisions happen
after dark we stay alert! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 am 
Hawkeye

"This is precisely why I never go to Nodaway County Missouri."

Probably just as well. I generally don't go there unless I'm getting paid for the trip.