RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Successful yotie hunt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 am 
Hawkeye

Tom took "Scooter" deer hunting yesterday morning w/o getting a shot. When they came to my house to warm up, Tom suggested we go try a bit of calling as they'd seen several coyotes that probably were looking for a bedding spot. After a bit of thought about access, wind direction, and time, I came up with a location that might work.
When we got to that spot, the wind had slowed down to almost nothing and it seemed the deal might work. Tom was toting his 17 HMR so he set the call and "wiggler"(visual curiosity device) @ 50 yards to his direct front. I had a longer/wider watch area conducive to my .223's range. Within 5-6 minutes, I saw a coyote that had "magically appeared" at the edge of the bean field about 100 yards out and almost directly in front of my rifle's muzzle. After a few seconds hesitation to see if another was still coming, I fired. The "pew" was followed by a resounding "THUMP", the yotie spun around a few times and RAN OFF. I was pretty certain of the shot placement and hadn't expected that result but I hit the "hot button" (plays a pre-determined coyote distress squeal call) hoping another coyote would show itself.
After another 5 minutes the wind came back and I was getting chilled so we folded up the call and went looking for the "run off". It hadn't gone far--just out of sight in the tall CRP grass. Another mature female--the 3rd female off this place since Nov 10(4 yotes counting the big male I thumped in rifle deer season). I'll wait a day or so and go back to the same spot and play some female whimpers/locator calls to see if Daddy Yotie comes looking for this one--it's worked before.
We're still looking for the big black(ish) coyote that lives here. I saw him in mid-November and Tom had a probable sighting 4 days ago. Considering size and color, that one may be a hybrid--either coy-dog or coy-wolf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 am 
Ruger Guru

Kudos!
Keep after them. Our last day of deer season was yesterday,, and I had one across the ridge from my stand bark a little. I didn't have any calls with me,, but it made a turkey behind me go to gobbling. I kept hoping the yote would show up,, but no dice. I look at a dead yote & think of how many fawns I may have saved.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm 
Hawkeye

Ty, I agree. The coyotes are tough on the fawn population among many with many other animals.

Good job Mobuck. Keep after them.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:48 am 
Hawkeye

Looks like temp and wind direction will be right for another attempt today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:15 am 
Ruger Guru

Since my deer season has ended,,, and we have bad enough weather to where my work is delayed,, I may slip out & try a bit of coyote hunting myself in the next few days.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:42 pm 
Hawkeye

Good luck on the yotes guys! Still deer season here through the eleventh. Only coyotes heard around here are way off in the distance.
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 pm 
Single-Sixer

Coyotes around here like turkey dinner this time of the year. I hope youalso send all coon, possum, skunks and cats to appropriate heavens as they eat all ground nesters they can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:27 pm 
Hawkeye

We spent some time in the snow today. Tom was out this morning close to his place and called in two-killed one and missed one. I didn't even see one but only did one stand before I got wet from the heavy snow and quit. Tom finally showed up here about 2:30 and we went to our north farm as it was easiest to find a place accessible that fit the predominant wind direction. First stand there was a bust although our call did get buzzed by a bald eagle. Second stand turned out to be an ill-timed endeavor. We walked into a coyote on the way to our stand--should have been there 15 minutes sooner. I had too much stuff in my hands and got hung up in my snow camo poncho costing me a shot at the hightailing yotie and then missed as it ducked through the scattered trees in the fencerow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 pm 
Newly Registered

I live just west of the Indianapolis airport. From 2013 to 2015 my dad and brother killed about 300 yotie here. Airport owns all the land around so no hunting on it. Just 5 houses left in the area. Now if we see one a month we are lucky. We had big yellows around here then the saddlebacks moved in. For a while we could not keep barn cats but have had the same for 3 years now. The best thing I can say about yotie is the coon population is way down so there population must be going back up. Be good hunting and calling again. Most of the yoties look like they have dog in them now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 pm 
Hawkeye

Another light flurry predicted for tonight so probably spend some time calling tomorrow before the colder temps move in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:16 pm 
Single-Sixer

Why arent cats licensed and req to be on leash just like dogs.. govt is missing millions of $$ since cats are not lcensed.

I believe when those laws were passed 70-80 yrs ago cats were HOUSE pets and did not go out..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:22 pm 
Hawkeye

Tom's on a roll. He called in and killed one yotie yesterday evening. This morning we called another and Grandson put a 17 HMR bullet in it's shoulder(his first coyote). As the cripple was scooting away I followed up with a raking hit that put it down.
So far this winter, I've shot 5(4 females & a male) and Tom's shot 5 or 6(only 1 male). Taking those breeding age females out of the population is going to make a difference(I hope). They're paired up now so I'm hoping we can start knocking off some doubles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:18 pm 
Hawkeye

I scored another yotie this afternoon. This one was also a female and had moderate mange-- our first mangy yote this year.
FYI, the call that worked today was neither prey or coyote vocalizations. I started with blue jay distress for maybe 2 minutes when an owl hooted not far behind me. I immediately switched to crow fight and the coyote appeared within another 2-3 minutes. I waited as long as possible hoping to work a double but the one in sight was getting downwind and may have actually got a hint of my wind judging by the way it froze and looked toward me. At under 150 yards all that was left was hold and squeeze.
This makes 5 (4 females) off this farm since mid-November.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 am 
Single-Sixer

4 females should reduce the population next summer, somewhat.

When there are less coyotes and plenty of food, Ive heard the litter sizes go up to perhaps 8 or more from maybe 3 or 4 (or 2-3) w/ all those 4 you harvested otherwise producing next generation(s).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 am 
Hawkeye

Considering the normal coyote's home area, I'm surprised that we've knocked off so many females. Unless the males are recruiting and bringing replacements in as fast as I'm shooting the ones here. Three of the 4 females killed have dropped literally in sight of one another(the last two were shot about 150 yards apart and the other another 300 yards away)so maybe the female pups from 2018? Full grown best I can determine.
Regardless, I'm still a long way from a significant reduction of the current population if the evening howling is any indication. I shot this last one @ 1PM and @ 5PM there was a full blown serenade in progress less than 1/4 mile from the carcass.