RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:41 pm 
Ruger Guru

We just went to a concert this evening with Gary Sinise & the Lt. Dan Band. It was a lot of fun,, and didn't cost a dime. It was held at the Tryon International Equestrian Center. That huge facility is about 15 minutes from me.
They do a lot of free stuff,, and allow all kinds of things to go on. I saw folks carry in chairs to sit very close tot he stage,, small coolers to bring in your own drinks,, pictures allowed,, clean fun for the family,, as a LOT of kids were there. Dogs allowed too.

But Gary is such a HUGE supporter of the military & our Rights that we had to go. All they asked for was to visit their website,, and if we WANTED to,, make a donation.
see; garysinisefoundation.org

They do a lot of good for those who served, those who have served,, those who have lost someone who served,, and even first responders. Check it out.

The concert was fun,, and very entertaining. Gary does not sing,,, but he highlights his band & the members talents. I got the distinct impression he's an actor who has taken his hobby,, turned passion into a thing to help others. He was truly enjoying himself. And we,, as a crowd enjoyed his show as well.

If you get the chance,, it's worth it to see him & his band!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA "When it mattered!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:46 pm 
Hawkeye

This is very cool!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 pm 
Single-Sixer

Totally agree about Gary Sinise...class act.
Saw and met him at one of Sean Hannity's Freedom concerts some years ago.
Seems a genuinely nice guy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 pm 
Hawkeye

I went to the site but the last scheduled appearance shown was in September. Was there anything you acquired that shows a when/where they will be in the future?

NRA
Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm 
Single-Sixer

Also, if you get the chance to read his autobiography, Grateful American, it is definitely worth the read.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:30 pm 
Hawkeye

I respect the heck out of him. Would love to see him in a venue like that. He does what he says. He walks the walk.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:26 pm 
Buckeye

I give yearly to his fountain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:36 am 
Hawkeye

Hi,

I saw them during Fleet Week at North Island NAS in San Diego about three years ago. Fantastic show. I thought they did the best job of covering the entire genre of classic rock, without concentrating on a single group or artist, of anyone I've seen. I learned then that Gary's a bass player who gets to be "out front" instead of hiding in the background of the stage like so many of them do, and he was enjoying what he was doing tremendously. Then there was Molly--what a character! Is she still with the band? (She's the near six foot tall singer, yoga fanatic, not exactly Goth, who might have red, blue, green, purple or yellow hair depending how she feels or maybe whether she's recently been playing with the all girl punk band she also plays with.)

There were tons of Navy families there the day we saw them, and they really expressed their thanks for all Gary and his foundation do for military families. It was an uplifting experience all around.

Rick C

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:52 am 
Hawkeye

Went to the web site.. all I can say is I am humbled...

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 am 
Ruger Guru

FM,, I didn't find his schedule,, but since we are here with the TIEC in my backyard,, Miss Penny found out he was coming. She told me,, and we went.

Funny you mention his book,,,"Grateful American." A lady in the audience had his book,,, and had made a small sign on a plain piece of paper; It said; "Gary will you sign book?"
She kept holding it up when he was near her area,, he saw it,, asked her up, signed the book, allowed her friend to take a few pics,,! The sign fell to the floor of the stage,, and he picked it up & read it to all of us! He got a kick out of it. He kept the paper.

A side note.
Once when Gary was talking,, and mentioned "Forrest Gump" about 30 ft away,, a father lifted up a boy onto his shoulders. The boy was about 4-5 yrs old. AND,, was dressed in a suit & hat looking like Forrest! Gary saw it,, and said; "Look, there's Forrest! Come up here Forrest,,,, then,,, Run Forrest,, Run!" He took the boy up on stage,,, talked to him a minute,, allowed pics to be taken & all. It was GREAT!!!!!! That little boy looked a lot like a little Forrest Gump!

Rick,,, Yes,, Molly is still with him!

After the concert,, the TIEC was also having a horse competition as well. They opened with the National Anthem,,, followed by a youth Parachute Skydiving Team,, made up of children of fallen soldiers. These 4 young men did a jump, and landed in the Arena. All 4 flew banners under them. One was for their Team, one was a Gary Sinise Foundation, one had all flags of the different branches of Service,, and the final one was the American Flag.

But Gary's show was great,, and if any of y'all ever get the chance,, go see him & his band. It'll be worth it. But,, even more,, go to his Foundation website,, see all they do,, and if you can,,, maybe support them a little. As Blume has said,, "Humbling!!!!!!"

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:05 am 
Ruger Guru

A couple of pics;

Here is Gary,, with Molly in the background. My battery didn't allow me too many pics. None with her out front singing.

Imageimghost

Here is Gary,, with his Lead guitar picker.

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

As I mentioned before, I've seen the band once in person, and watched them many times on video, both performing and visiting military bases and personnel. I just found this video, a bit different from those I've seen before, as Gary and the band take a group of 45 WWII veterans, each with a young student, to the National WWII Museum in New Orleans.

The Greatest Generation meets the youngest generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCVspisjaac

You might need some tissues to clean your screen... I didn't realize how blurry mine is! ;)

Rick C

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 pm 
Ruger Guru

He mentioned all of the different things his Foundation is involved in. Taking these Vets to New Orleans was just one of the SEVERAL things they do!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:25 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Was he in his bosun's chair?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 pm 
Hawkeye

That sounds like a wonderful time and group to watch and listen to!