RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AG-TRONIC Generator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:43 pm 
Hawkeye

If anyone knows anything about everything they are most likely members of RF. So, without further ado, can anybody tell me about the AG-TRONIC 5000 watt generator model 545000 powered by a 10hp Briggs & Strstton I/C series gas engine? I can pick it up at a great price - free! if I want it. My buddy says it fires up. Other than that, he knows nothing about it. He got it along 3ith a truckload of other stuff from a window neighbor of his who was moving back to the city.

Research tells me that the AG-TRONIC company has been bought and sold a couple of times, and that parts are available. I'm thinking that, for the price I'm paying ;) it might be worth any potential problems to go ahead and take it. I figure it would do to keep the fridge/freezer running, and maybe the well pump during power outages. K8nd of a back-up...

Thoughts, experiences, opinions? Thanks, Wolfie.

Are you gonna cowboy up, or just lay there and bleed?

Post subject: Re: AG-TRONIC Generator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:54 pm 
Hawkeye

It's a department store contractor grade generator. It runs jobsite tools wonderfully, but it may or may not supply clean enough power for some electronics. Don't know the whole correlation, but Power Mate is the same product. They are very popular as a price-point generator.

I recently had a very similar generator, and it powered everything I ever hooked up to it, including a very high-tech welder. The only reason it went down the road, is it's heavy and cumbersome. If it's meant to remain on your property, it would be fine for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 pm 

Around here I see Generac (sp?) and Honda.

No personal experience with either ..... just what I see my buddies use at home and in their businesses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:36 am 
Ruger Guru

While I have zero experience with that one,, the price is right,, and if you get into a bind and it will power some stuff that's necessary,, I'd say go for it.

With B&S engines,, I've learned they like to be run occasionally,, to keep them useful. Firing it up about once a month is a good idea.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:52 am 
Blackhawk

It's basically a cheap low end generator. It's power output is not well
regulated and the sine wave none to "clean". It'll be plenty noisy.
That said, it ( if working ) will power most small basic electric motors,
space heaters and lights. Should be somewhat usable.
If it won't start when you get it, plug in a light bulb and shoot a
little gas in the carb...if the motor fires up for a few seconds and
the bulb lights, it's likely worth putting a little time and money to make it go.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:18 am 
Hawkeye

Don’t know why folks worry so much about “clean” power. The gen set will run motors fine. For sensitive electronics supply power to a unit like a UPS and you’re fine.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:59 am 
Blackhawk

Jeepnik wrote:
Don’t know why folks worry so much about “clean” power. The gen set will run motors fine. For sensitive electronics supply power to a unit like a UPS and you’re fine.

Most newer furnaces have pretty tight voltage and cycle requirements, some newer kitchen
appliances also won't be happy if things drift off nominal. A UPS would be fine for your
computer or TV. Might take a pretty big one for the furnace and your new refrigerator.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:31 am 
Hawkeye

You can't go wrong for the price... As Dave P. suggested, a squirt of fuel into the carb and a light bulb will sure tell you if the thing has a chance. If it sat around with fuel in it for much of any time, then the carb will need a cleaning, kit or replacement. Monetarily it's not worth too much, but you might get $150 bucks for it if you can make it run and don't need it.

I see no downside! ;)

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:06 am 
Hawkeye

Dave P. wrote:
Jeepnik wrote:

Most newer furnaces have pretty tight voltage and cycle requirements, some newer kitchen
appliances also won't be happy if things drift off nominal. A UPS would be fine for your
computer or TV. Might take a pretty big one for the furnace and your new refrigerator.
Dave

Then put in a dedicated power conditioner when you run those

By the way, my water heater needs power for the blower and controls. I have a ups that will run it for over an hour installed. There are no excuses not to have back up power.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:18 pm 
Hunter

Most wells run on 240v I think. But free is a good price. Lots of YouTube stuff about generators.

Last edited by coach on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:25 pm 
Hawkeye

If it starts dependably and runs w/o burning too much oil, it's good enough for basic power during an emergency. Downside is gas consumption which limits run time.
I have a portable welder run by a 10 or 12 horse B&S and it's a gas hog. Uses twice the gas to make the same amount of watts as my ONAN powered 110/220 generator. Course the genset won't weld so I have both. Welder sits in the barn 1/4 mile from the house and genset sits in a shed within cord range of the house.