RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am 
Buckeye

I'm installing a new fluorescent two-bulb 48 inch T8 shop light over a machine in my wood shop. I never had paid attention to Kelvin numbers until I went looking online at Home Depot for a two-pack. How does a person choose and why, between bulbs with specs of 6500K, 5000K, 4000K and 3000K? All are 32 watt. I always just bought "bulbs" of the correct wattage and size.
Please educate me in the basics. At 61 years old it's kinda late to be learning something like this I guess, but I like learning.
Thanks. Don

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 am 
Hawkeye

It's a measure of the color temperature. The higher the Kelvin temp, the whiter the light, to put it simply. In a woodshop, this can make a difference in the color of the wood you perceive. This is why you see the most accurate color perception outside in bright sunlight.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 am 
Hawkeye

Further to Gunny's correct post, for a shop, you'll likely want a 5000 which is a true "white light". Lower the number, the more 'yellow'. The higher numbers are more 'blue'.

ETA: I had to buy a few wrong ones to finally figure that out! lol

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:56 am 
Blackhawk

Location: MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sleddin'
Hi there, Don! Been too long.

You could also consider a retrofit with LED lighting but that is a whole other bag of bananas.

It would cost more upfront but if you are wanting more light, it is an option.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 am 
Buckeye

Our garage is 30' by 45' and I put 3 of the LED tubular
shop lights in it. One in the middle, one on either end.
It is nice and bright now with no glare. It's a nice 'white' light.
Made a world of difference.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am 
Hawkeye

You might also want to look at the LED replacement (available with new units also)
to save electricity and increase "bulb" duration (I'll admit the old ones lasted a
L O N G time).

I converted to LED lighting as a gradual process until I got to AZ. Since everything
here is/was new, I just went with the LEDs. MUCH more expensive to start with
("bulb" cost), but seems to be making a big difference in usable light, how fast it
turns on, and operational cost.

Just a thought. :wink:

~ The only time success comes before work, is in the dictionary.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 pm 
Hunter

I like the lower K lights in the house, but the 5000 or 6500 K are better for a shop. It seems to make things a little sharper. I replaced a tube recently and I saw the LED tubes, but they were more than 5 times the cost I think. LED lights aren’t effected by cold weather like fluorescents.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:49 pm 
Buckeye

Thank you all. I now have a better understanding of the kelvin scale. I did look a several LED shop lights but was truly disappointed at the construction. The clear "guard" over the LEDs was loosely fitting, rattled around in the fixture and allowed direct access of dust to the LEDs. That could not be good. I actually had to online order for "ship to store" at Home Depot the fluorescent unit I wanted---pull chain switch with a 5 foot power cord. HD didn't even carry them in stock any more. I'll put the clear plastic guard bulb "condoms" (as Miss penny jokingly called them---it's OK we were nurses), and fashion a 1/2 inch rat cloth grid to further protect the bulbs.
Thanks again friends. Don

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:41 pm 
Hunter

Go to Costco and buy their 4 foot LED fixtures. I replaced 8 fluorescent with 4 of these LED's in my carport and never looked back. The lighting is far superior and it comes on when you flip the switch. No buzzing, humming, flickering, turning black at one end, one working and the other not working, etc. These LED's seem really cheesy but work great. They come with a cord and pull chain. I think regular price is $29 but they run them on sale for $20. Plus with Costco, if for any reason you don't like them, they will refund your money with a smile and not a bunch of questions. I have had these working perfectly for over 2 years in the house, shop and carport and would not go back to fluorescent even if you gave me free fixtures and bulbs for life----just not worth the constant hassle.

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:57 pm 
Bearcat

I'm a professional wood carver and my wife is a professional long arm quilter

Every time I turned around I was replacing bulbs between the two work shops

I caught the the box stores with the complete LED fixtures which included bottom and side diffusing covers for $24 and replaced every 4 foot tube fixture in both shops

Now we both have true color definition and close to twice the working light we once had from the same number of fixtures

Adding a complete fixture is a no brainier ..LED all the way

Bear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:58 pm 
Hunter

AJGUNNER wrote:
Go to Costco and buy their 4 foot LED fixtures. I replaced 8 fluorescent with 4 of these LED's in my carport and never looked back. The lighting is far superior and it comes on when you flip the switch. No buzzing, humming, flickering, turning black at one end, one working and the other not working, etc. These LED's seem really cheesy but work great. They come with a cord and pull chain. I think regular price is $29 but they run them on sale for $20. Plus with Costco, if for any reason you don't like them, they will refund your money with a smile and not a bunch of questions. I have had these working perfectly for over 2 years in the house, shop and carport and would not go back to fluorescent even if you gave me free fixtures and bulbs for life----just not worth the constant hassle.

X1000!!!!

I've replaced all my fluorescent with these. Instant on at -10*, no warm up time for full light from 40* down. The garage has more light with 6 of these than two 8' fluero and four- 4 footers. The older ones (4 or 5 years ago) didn't have an outlet. The new ones do so you can daisy chain four or five. They all come with a pull chain if desire to use it. I have never looked back on this decision. The garage and both shops are well it with fewer fixtures.

BTW - they are on sale for $19.99 at my Costco last week. They run the sale two or three times a year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:48 am 
Hawkeye

I have three 4-foot fluorescent fixtures in my (unheated) garage workshop. I've had to replace bulbs and dispose of the old ones. They don't like to work when it is really cold. When the ballast went out on one, I replace it with LED. I'll do the same as the others give out. Fluorescent lighting is obsolescent, heading toward obsolete. I'm wondering when the lighting industry will switch from the screw-in sockets used for incandescent bulbs to an LED-specific socket---thus making all our old lamps and lights obsolete, and requiring replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:44 pm 
Hunter

Just to further confuse things LEDS now come in color temperatures too so you can pick softer yellow or harsher white too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 am 
Hawkeye

I think I wear glasses today as a result of working under "lowest bidder" bulbs in the PO for 30 years. I hate fluttery florescent lights.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:45 am 
Hawkeye

I'm done with florescent I changed over to led and loving it!! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

Buy American Give Your Neighbor A Job!