RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm 
Hunter

When I want to go to my bank website I always have done so using my cellular connection if I am not home, so that I am not entering sensitive data on an open WiFi system. While on a long road trip (I am almost done) this was working fine, since the wifi I normally had access to at the RV parks that I was stopped at were never secure. But then I got notice of the latest update for IPhones and IPads from Apple, and went ahead and downloaded and installed the update as I always do, and my wife did the same. Ever since we are having a really hard time ever connecting to the Internet unless we use wifi, which usually is not secure. Even with a signal from Verizon showing on my phone of 4 bars LTE I still can’t get internet sites to open when using the phone’s cellular data connection. Is it just us, or are others having this same problem?

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:57 pm 
Buckeye

I’m scared to update my old iPhone 6+. Performance always seems worse any time I have done an update.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:15 pm 
Buckeye

Are you talking about 13.1.2? If so do a hard reset on your device and that should clear it up. 13.2 should be out shortly and that will have some modem updates that are really supposed to make things better, sometimes putting the device into airplane mode and back clears that up. As far as the 6+ IOS 12.4.2 is your latest update but I’ve found that IOS 13.1.2 will optimize storage and make the phone faster on the SE, 6S, 7, 8, and all X series phones. I’ve heard of some people having different issues with IOS 13, in my family I take care of an SE, a 7, an 8, a couple of iPads, and I have an 11, my iPhone 11 is the only one that suffered from a couple of the minor maladies of IOS 13 but they have all been fixed with the updates.

"I buy guns to shoot and not to fondle and admire" RugerForum Member 5of7

NRA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 pm 
Buckeye

arfmel wrote:
I’m scared to update my old iPhone 6+. Performance always seems worse any time I have done an update.

A new iPhone is coming out in the spring, supposedly it will look exactly like your iPhone 6 but it will be in the all glass body of an 8 with wireless charging, it will have the plenty of RAM and the A13 neural engine in it for around $350...that will be a monster of a small(ish) phone.

NRA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 pm 
Buckeye

Wife did it to hers...8+ and mine 7+....guess she is happy...I a m not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 pm 
Buckeye

flyinfred wrote:
Wife did it to hers...8+ and mine 7+....guess she is happy...I a m not.

What’s the issue?

NRA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 pm 
Hawkeye

Apple has already admitted to employees listening to conversations and taking myriad data from iPhones. Why own one?

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 pm 
Buckeye

mohavesam wrote:
Apple has already admitted to employees listening to conversations and taking myriad data from iPhones. Why own one?

You sound like Sheila Jackson Lee describing an AR15...

NRA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 am 
Hunter

This is why I don't update until they almost force me to. At least, by the time I do it, most of the bugs are worked out. I usually go by the old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:19 am 
Hawkeye

redhawker wrote:
I usually go by the old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

For the average user (and most of us fit in that category) that is, by far, the best
way to do things. Unless you need the new features or are having problems, let it
be! All you haver to do to see the soundness of that reasoning is look at the mess
called Windows. The majority of their "fixes" are to correct screw ups from the
previous update/release, and if your copy does everything you need, let it be!

I drive my daughter nutz with that. She updates as soon as a new anything comes
out and quite often spends hours to days on the phone with the "help desk".
(mostly helpLESS desk) :roll:

The last time I updated was when my old phone was acting stupid and giving me
problems; I replaced it. 8)

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:07 am 
Hunter

How do you do a “hard reset”?

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 am 
Single-Sixer

the update destroyed my i phone 5s no more apple crap.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:32 am 
Buckeye

vito wrote:
How do you do a “hard reset”?

It depends on what iPhone you have:

SE, 6, 6S - hold down the home button and the sleep/wake button at the same time until the phone shuts down and the Apple logo comes back on.

7 - hold down the volume down button and the sleep/wake button at the same time until the phone shuts down and the Apple logo comes back on.

8, X, XR, XS, 11 - push and release the volume up button, push and release the volume down button, then push and hold the sleep/wake button until the phone shuts down and the Apple logo comes back on.

Worst case scenario is you might have to reset your network settings.

NRA Member

Last edited by Captain America on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:40 am 
Buckeye

As far as updates go Microsoft's are terrifying, I am like Pat-inCO's daughter, I can't wait to get the next Apple operating system. Regular updates throughout the year are always trouble free but getting the new IOS system every year is, to me, one of the huge advantages of owning an Apple product. You get virtually all the software of the new phones(if your hardware supports it) for 4-5 years. IOS 13 is the first time I ever had any glitches but they were fixed in a couple of days with the system patches.

NRA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 am 
Buckeye

My iphone 6+ charge life went down by about 50% when I “updated” from 11.2.1 to 12.2.1, so there is little chance I am going to do any more of their bogus “updates”.

I don’t care about the latest emojis, games, facetime, or any of that superfluous stuff. I want a phone with a battery that doesn’t need charging after 3 hours of use with every battery saving setting I can enable.