RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm 
Hawkeye

We, our Senior Saints from our church, were eating out yesterday at noon, a group of maybe forty or so folks. Seated next to me was a good friend, not too long widowed, and now having to do the cooking for himself and an older son. The subject of food favorites and good eating came up.

He told us his son said his forte was "gourmet country."

Come to think of it, pretty well sums up what good eatin' is all about!

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:55 pm 
Hawkeye

And to continue to expound on that outing, we were eating at a newly opened seafood buffet plus type of establishment, featuring Chinese and Mexican cuisine.

I walked along the buffet and saw what some good ol' boys described as looking like bait.

There was stuff in seashells, oysters and clams and snails; little bitty octopuses (octipi?), chunks of jellied fish-like stuff wrapped in fish skins. All pretty unappetizing looking.

I got a fried chicken breast that wasn't bad, and some corn that had been cooked in water with no trace of salt. Did get some fried okra that wasn't too bad, again had to doctor it up with salt. I ordered coffee, only to find the only beverages were water, tea, and beer.

A MacDonald's was gourmet by then.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:26 pm 
Hunter

I don't think I'd of cared for that place either Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 pm 
Hawkeye

Only thing you mentioned that I would have considered would be the oysters. There is no 'bad way' to eat them. Also, a place without coffee is un-American. :D

NRA
Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:37 pm 
Hawkeye

Senior Saints oh my! Thought you had to be dead to be Saint! Then Canonized!

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:24 pm 
Ruger Guru

I enjoy all kinds of cooking. And I also appreciate other cultures of food stuff. I can easily eat a pure country meal of pintos & cornbread,, to exotic kangaroo steak. (Both enjoyed recently.)
So,, while many prefer a limited diet of only familiar foods,, I love to try anything new & different than what I've had before.

A good example happened recently,, that gave me a huge bonus. We booked reservations at an upscale restaurant,, that also had a specials menu of exotic game meats. It's a Lodge type place,, (Saskatoon Lodge, Greenville SC,) owned by a Chinese couple. They are American Chinese,, and have had a restaurant business in the family in Greenville for over 3 decades. This Lodge is a newer place,, and due to a growth of their previous places.
It was outstanding,, in that we had the following; A unique salad of plants grown ON SITE,, in a natural garden. An appetizer, of 3 sausages,, venison, wild boar, & pepper stuffed elk. Miss Penny had a Chef's sampler of New Zealand rack of lamb, a marinated beef loin, & roasted quail. I had the New Zealand Stag steak, Kangaroo steak, and Ostrich steak. (Each piece of steak was small.) She had roasted potato wedges,, while I had the garlic, skin on mashed potatoes. Both meals had roasted red bell peppers, and green beans. The bread was compliments with 3 types of butter.
Service was great,, and the food excellent!
But,, later,, I stopped the owner,, and we got to talking,,. He spent about 20 minutes talking to us. Turns out,,, my major bonus,, he & I BOTH had taken Karate from the same Master,,, Billy Hong,, who was tragically killed when the Russians shot down Flt KLA 7 in 1981. He is about 1 year younger than me. We knew a lot of the same people.

My point is that by being willing to try a new place with a very different menu,, I connected with a gentleman whom I'm sure I met way back when.

Good food has led me to many good places.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
I was taught to cook by two of my grandmothers. One a Pinay woman and the other a Midwest farm wife. But biscuit dough cooked on top of the beef stew is still dumplings no matter how much the two might argue the difference. One thing I noticed that while I lean heavier on the side of rice and Dad grew up on potatoes it doesn't stop him from loading his plate at my house.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 pm 
Hawkeye

powder smoke wrote:
Senior Saints oh my! Thought you had to be dead to be Saint! Then Canonized!

Only in the Roman Catholic church. As in Baptist church, sainthood comes with Salvation!

Bob Wright